LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 203 users in the forums

Fastest at the Combine Contenders 2014

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10477591/2014-nfl-draft-mel-kiper-todd-mcshay-scouting-combine-cheat-sheet

Dri Archer, RB, Kent State: Injuries limited Archer this past season, but there's no questioning his explosiveness. He averaged 8.6 yards per carry over the last two seasons, and some consider him to be on De'Anthony Thomas' level in terms of speed and quickness.

Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU: He emerged as a big-play threat in 2013, averaging 19.5 yards per catch and scoring eight touchdowns. He has very good initial burst and good top-end speed.

Robert Herron, WR, Wyoming: He is a smaller-school burner who averaged 15.5 yards per catch over the past two years.

Marqise Lee, WR, USC: If Lee's 40 time matches up with the speed and explosiveness we see from him on tape, he'll be a contender. He's a big-time vertical threat who can take the top off a defense.

Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida: He's still a bit of a project as a cornerback, but he is a very good natural athlete with very good top-end speed.

Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State: Roby struggled with his discipline early on in the season, but he improved as the season went along, and his athleticism stands out on tape. He could climb up draft boards with a good 40 time.

De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon: I don't know if I've ever seen a prospect look faster in a live game situation with the ball in his hands than Thomas. He's also a track guy, and was a Division I All-American in 2013 as the anchor leg of Oregon's 4x100-meter relay team.

Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson: The top-ranked wide receiver prospect in our rankings, Watkins has elite acceleration and outstanding top-end speed on tape.

My picks are Thomas, Archer and Herron.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I like the NFL.com piece about the 15 players in the past 5 years to run a sub 4.4 and only one of them has done anything in the league. It'll be interesting to see what the players listed above run and how well they perform in the rest of the drills and if their athleticism/speed translates to their schemes and ability to actually play.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 19, 2014 at 11:30 AM ]
I'd throw Tevin Reese in there as well...was timed at 4.31 and had a vert of 45.5 at Baylor (per his bio). Dude's a real freak.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I'd throw Tevin Reese in there as well...was timed at 4.31 and had a vert of 45.5 at Baylor (per his bio). Dude's a real freak.

Yeah, they forgot him, he'll be up there as well.
It wont be Lee.

It might be Archer, I love that kid. I could see him impressing at the combine and becoming a coveted guy come May. 2nd-3rd round??
Can anybody beat CJ2K's 4.24?

45.5 vert is insane! Plus most school bios seem to embellish their numbers.
I hope Archer runs slow so he could be had later in the draft.
Originally posted by Howlett49:

45.5 vert is insane! Plus most school bios seem to embellish their numbers.

True, but he's definitely a speedster and I could easily see a 4.37ish forty and a 40" vertical from him.
Don't sleep on Paul Richardson, he can fly!

Originally posted by genus49:
I hope Archer runs slow so he could be had later in the draft.

Archer should be available in the 5th round or later, no matter what he runs.
  • buck
  • Veteran
NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah believes Oklahoma State's Justin Gilbert could log the fastest 40-yard dash time at the NFL's combine.

Jeremiah polled scouts and executives about the fastest prospects in the draft, and he passes along that Gilbert's name was mentioned most often. "He's a very big cornerback, checking in at 6-foot, 200 pounds -- and still, it's easy to notice his breakaway speed in the return game and his make-up speed in coverage," wrote Jeremiah. "To use a scouting term, Gilbert has 'easy speed.' He doesn't labor when he runs and he picks up ground in a hurry. He's expected to run in the mid-to-low 4.3s." Gilbert led the Big 12 with six interceptions in 2013. He's projected to go in the first round of May's draft.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/29918/could-cb-gilbert-run-fastest-40-yard-time
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah believes Oklahoma State's Justin Gilbert could log the fastest 40-yard dash time at the NFL's combine.

Jeremiah polled scouts and executives about the fastest prospects in the draft, and he passes along that Gilbert's name was mentioned most often. "He's a very big cornerback, checking in at 6-foot, 200 pounds -- and still, it's easy to notice his breakaway speed in the return game and his make-up speed in coverage," wrote Jeremiah. "To use a scouting term, Gilbert has 'easy speed.' He doesn't labor when he runs and he picks up ground in a hurry. He's expected to run in the mid-to-low 4.3s." Gilbert led the Big 12 with six interceptions in 2013. He's projected to go in the first round of May's draft.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/29918/could-cb-gilbert-run-fastest-40-yard-time

if true, kiss any chance of getting him w/o a massive trade good bye. Even though he is the one CB I want us to take early.
Share 49ersWebzone