LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Colt Lyerla worth a late round pick?

Dude could have easily bought a weight bench from Dick's Sporting Goods or Walmart or Craigslist and been lifting this whole time. Doubt the judge wouldn't allow him to go to the local gym to work out. He's making excuses and showing his immaturity again imo. From Oct. - Feb. he could only train for 1 week? What else was he doing? Apparently not preparing for his career. He's super athletic, but that's outweighed by being immature, unpredictable, and apparently unprepared. I'd pass on him.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Dude could have easily bought a weight bench from Dick's Sporting Goods or Walmart or Craigslist and been lifting this whole time. Doubt the judge wouldn't allow him to go to the local gym to work out. He's making excuses and showing his immaturity again imo. From Oct. - Feb. he could only train for 1 week? What else was he doing? Apparently not preparing for his career. He's super athletic, but that's outweighed by being immature, unpredictable, and apparently unprepared. I'd pass on him.

´This.
Originally posted by WWFGD:
He had 1 week to train for the combine. He was just released by a judge a week ago. Don't worry about the 15 reps.

LOL....so from the time that he walked away from the Oregon college program, he's only been able to train for a week? Where was he being held, in 5x5 box? Oh no, that's right....he was "trapped" in Oregon, because Lord knows there aren't any gyms or athletic facilities in all of Oregon.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 22, 2014 at 9:08 PM ]
Originally posted by Travisty13:

The only real limitation on him was not leaving the state of Oregon. Its just another b******t excuse the apologists are making for a guy who clearly does not get it and just possibly never will.
Dwight Ross was supposed to train and house Lyerla outside Las Vegas before the player's agent opted for Lyerla to train in Arizona. Ross has kept in contact with the former Duck since, though, and was impressed by Saturday's marks especially considering he estimated Lyerla's combine preparation lasted for no more than two weeks at a professional facility.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/02/colt_lyerlas_40-yard_dash_jump.html
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Guys, we're not talking about burning a 1st or even a 4th round pick here.

We are going to have something like 12 or 13 draft picks, we've signed previous low rounders and UDFA to future contracts. Even our PS is stacked for goodness sake!

I would be more than happy to spend a 5th on him with the condition that he enters a rehab program and whatever else we need to do and develop him. If he cannot follow the structure then we will cut him, but we're going to cut just about everyone we select from the 5th round down. Our 7th round picks have no trade value so we're going to be gambling with the latter round picks anyway.

I think this guy needs structure and a healthy environment, and I think our locker room and team can do that. I'd be more than happy to give him a shot because if it doesn't work out then we are absolutely not wasting anything. All this talk of signing him as an UDFA is nonsense, he'll have quite a few teams trying to do the same. We can actually take a shot with our roster, our ridiculous number of picks and the team culture.

It's not even a risk. Is a free play essentially.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Quest4six:

5. Lamichael James (i actually watched him beat his girlfriend)

You actually watched him beat his girlfriend?

That is really impressive. No doubting your ability to make sound judgments.

No. I take that back. That is just ducking sad, dude.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Buchy:

We are going to have something like 12 or 13 draft picks, we've signed previous low rounders and UDFA to future contracts. Even our PS is stacked for goodness sake!

I would be more than happy to spend a 5th on him with the condition that he enters a rehab program and whatever else we need to do and develop him. If he cannot follow the structure then we will cut him, but we're going to cut just about everyone we select from the 5th round down. Our 7th round picks have no trade value so we're going to be gambling with the latter round picks anyway.

I think this guy needs structure and a healthy environment, and I think our locker room and team can do that. I'd be more than happy to give him a shot because if it doesn't work out then we are absolutely not wasting anything. All this talk of signing him as an UDFA is nonsense, he'll have quite a few teams trying to do the same. We can actually take a shot with our roster, our ridiculous number of picks and the team culture.

Not sure about that one. There are a lot of players in the later rounds i would take over him.

Quincy Enunwa WR

Aaron Colvin CB

Reggie Jordan TE

Trey Millard FB/TE/RB/WR

just to name a few for example.

I was one of the first to consider him as a late round choice but i have less and less interest. Apology after apology !

I get your points. But you dont draft a player only because of his
athleticism. We are talking about the NFL here. There are more players then Lyerla who are freaks.

• DeUh
  • Veteran

Not sure about that one. There are a lot of players in the later rounds i would take over him.

Quincy Enunwa WR

Aaron Colvin CB

Reggie Jordan TE

Trey Millard FB/TE/RB/WR

I was one of the first to consider him as a late round choice but i have less and less interest. Apology after apology !

athleticism. We are talking about the NFL here. There are more players then Lyerla who are freaks.

[ Edited by DeUh on Feb 23, 2014 at 5:52 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:

Not too sure what's going on here...

Even in the late rounds, there's plenty of other guys in this draft that I would be much happier with than Lyerla. Only way I'd be happy to see the 49ers take him is if it was with a 7th round pick and nothing earlier.
Originally posted by DeUh:

Quincy Enunwa WR

Aaron Colvin CB

Reggie Jordan TE

Trey Millard FB/TE/RB/WR

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG58FA_zbsQ">

That guy of the vid you posted is 3 inches shorter, 50lbs lighter, and jumped less than Lyerla by 4".

Check this out...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KS7okNpuJXY
  • bors
  • Veteran
Its funny how 90% of the post's on here are claiming that we don't want any coke heads or people who get into problems with the cops.

1. Aldon Smith
2. Navarro Bowman
3. Tarrell Brown
4. Carlos Rogers
5. Lamichael James (i actually watched him beat his girlfriend)
6. Michael Crabtree
7. Anquan Boldin
8. Alex Boone
9. Ahmad Brooks

That is 9 current 49er players who have had problems with drugs, but I forgot all of you know that already.

Good thing we didn't take a chance on them, huh?

You watched lamike beat his girl?did you just sit there and watch?
Given how many picks we have, and the strength and leadership of our locker room, I wouldn't mind us taking this guy with a later round pick in the 5th, 6th or 7th.

I think we can afford to take a shot and cut him without impact if he fails to make it.... thoughts?

Rather take a chance on AC Copeland. Similar athlete, less baggage and more college game experience.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

Not too sure what's going on here...

Originally posted by bors:
You watched lamike beat his girl?did you just sit there and watch?

I thought more or less the same thing as the poster above.

May be I misunderstood what you meant, but watching someone beat his girlfriend just sounds weird.

Did you try to intervene? How long did you watch?
Share 49ersWebzone