There are 187 users in the forums

Colt Lyerla worth a late round pick?

Originally posted by pfizz:
the question marks with this kid arent on the field but off. if he can turn around his life he will be a BEAST on the field. i can see pete carroll grabbing him, "nurturing" him back to health and he becomes a stud on the field.

I actually think a coach like Pete Carroll would be horrible for this kid. He needs tough love.

But really if he's able to overcome his demons any team that drafts him will get a steal. Alex Boone is a good example of this. The guy was a mess at Ohio St but got himself clean and dedicated to his craft. Now he's a stud and a great teammate. Unfortunately most examples are of guys not being able to get their sh*t together.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by pfizz:
the question marks with this kid arent on the field but off. if he can turn around his life he will be a BEAST on the field. i can see pete carroll grabbing him, "nurturing" him back to health and he becomes a stud on the field.

I actually think a coach like Pete Carroll would be horrible for this kid. He needs tough love.

But really if he's able to overcome his demons any team that drafts him will get a steal. Alex Boone is a good example of this. The guy was a mess at Ohio St but got himself clean and dedicated to his craft. Now he's a stud and a great teammate. Unfortunately most examples are of guys not being able to get their sh*t together.

Boone is a great example in that he went undrafted and had to prove himself to the 49ers staff.

The interesting thing about Lyerla is that he could've gotten help by entering a treatment facility and had the charges dropped, but he chose to plead guilty so he can move to Las Vegas and prepare for the draft. Point being, if you don't address those underlying demons somehow/somewhere, they're likely to flair up again, especially when you're cashing $15,000+ game checks every week.
15 reps on bench
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
15 reps on bench

Lol. 15 ???
Originally posted by DeUh:
15 reps on bench

Lol. 15 ???

yea, kinda sad
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DeUh:
15 reps on bench

Lol. 15 ???

yea, kinda sad

Well unless we change our philosophy the chances that the FO takes a flyer on him are nonexistent then. You have to be strong as a bull to play TE in this system. ( Vernon 33 reps, Vance 31 reps )
15 reps on bench

ABC would disagree with you

Despite a troubling (and shortened) season, former Oregon tight end Colt Lyerla’s talent is undeniable, and he came in looking fit and hitting his measurements at 6-4 and weighing in at 242 pounds. His big hands (10-1/4) will help, too. If he’s kept up with his regimen, and it looks like he has, Lyerla could easily have the most impressive combine and remind people why he was a preseason favorite as the top tight end. His press conference was handled smoothly and he said everything he needed to. Like any prospect, he was coached, but it was still positive. The Oregon native has reestablished contact with Oregon and the contact is growing, he says. He also said that getting in trouble was “the best thing that’s happened” to him. Lyerla’s talent is undeniable and it is difficult to see him going undrafted despite all of his off-field concerns. He is Optimum Scouting’s ninth-ranked tight end.
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
Search colt lyerla box jump on YouTube. Athletic monster.
Originally posted by Quest4six:

Despite a troubling (and shortened) season, former Oregon tight end Colt Lyerla’s talent is undeniable, and he came in looking fit and hitting his measurements at 6-4 and weighing in at 242 pounds. His big hands (10-1/4) will help, too. If he’s kept up with his regimen, and it looks like he has, Lyerla could easily have the most impressive combine and remind people why he was a preseason favorite as the top tight end. His press conference was handled smoothly and he said everything he needed to. Like any prospect, he was coached, but it was still positive. The Oregon native has reestablished contact with Oregon and the contact is growing, he says. He also said that getting in trouble was “the best thing that’s happened” to him. Lyerla’s talent is undeniable and it is difficult to see him going undrafted despite all of his off-field concerns. He is Optimum Scouting’s ninth-ranked tight end.

I'm about 99% sure that this guy is Colt Lyerla.

The lowest total on the bench press of any tight end at the Combine, this guy is off to a great start already.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

The lowest total on the bench press of any tight end at the Combine, this guy is off to a great start already.

hahaha

I do recruiting work for Oregon, I was wrong about this kid before. Won't happen again.
He has probably worked out 5 times in the past 4 months. Not worried about bench.

I do recruiting work for Oregon, I was wrong about this kid before. Won't happen again.
He has probably worked out 5 times in the past 4 months. Not worried about bench.

Kind of confusing, can you elaborate?
  • DeUh
  • Veteran

Not sure how to feel about that.
I reviewed his HS highlight tapes and passed on him. He had some issues with footwork, blocking, and I didn't think he would fit our offense.
I said no, we got him anyways and boy was I wrong.
I heard he has been battling legal troubles in California from the coke charges and hasn't had much time to focus on strength and conditioning.

What you saw today, what you see in the combine is a Colt who hasn't been working out.
He's doing this on pure athleticism alone.
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
He had 1 week to train for the combine. He was just released by a judge a week ago. Don't worry about the 15 reps.
Share 49ersWebzone