LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Stop The Kelvin Benjamin Hype!

Still has problems with his hands. Tied for 4th with most drops in the NFL. I'm not trying to knock the guy, just putting things into perspective. People didn't want him on here because of his hands (read the first few comments in this thread). And he's still showing he drops passes.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Still has problems with his hands. Tied for 4th with most drops in the NFL. I'm not trying to knock the guy, just putting things into perspective. People didn't want him on here because of his hands (read the first few comments in this thread). And he's still showing he drops passes.

Agree.

I think it's just a matter of time before gets that solved.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
this guy is gonna suck in the nfl
Well we know your number of posts does not equate to knowing about football, boy was you wrong!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Agree.

I think it's just a matter of time before gets that solved.

You dont really ever "solve" that. Guts with iffy hands in college tend to have iffy hands in the pros. Benjamin wont ever be a super dependable guy like an Anquan Boldin.

Guys can work around it, like VD does by relying more on his body than his hands but I dont ever seeing it not being a weakness for him or a guy like Justin Hunter.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 4, 2014 at 8:49 PM ]
Doc_brown- how about you keep your opinions to yourself next year eh? Talk about ultimate fail on your part.

Here's to the crowd, myself included of course, who thought we should have traded up to get him.
He looks good in the redzone where speed does not matter much and size does matter for boxing people out and going up high for the ball.
looks good on a team with no other WR and your pushed into action

had we drafted him he wouldnt even be active on game days
Originally posted by bigwads:
Doc_brown- how about you keep your opinions to yourself next year eh? Talk about ultimate fail on your part.

Here's to the crowd, myself included of course, who thought we should have traded up to get him.

Isn't it stupid to tell someone to keep their opinions to themselves, when it's a Message Board and the entire reason for it, is to discuss different opinions on certain subjects? If you disagree with his opinion, to bad. He has every right to his opinion on Benjamin or anything else.

Edit: And read his 1st post. He says he shouldn't be drafted because his hands are bad, guess what, they're still not great. He's #3 in the NFL right now for most drops.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Oct 11, 2014 at 6:39 PM ]
Originally posted by bigwads:

Not sure exactly what you're crowing about, he's still a guy with iffy hands. Stephen Hill had some big games early on too with the Jets. The issues that people knocked Benjamin for are still there, he just happens to be on a completely WR deprived team at the moment, they have no choice but to feed the ball to him. Most of his yardage has come in garbage time when the Panthers were busy being blown out.

He frequently uses his body to catch balls and still seems uncomfortable catching with his hands. When forced to do so, there's an equal chance it could result in a highlight grab or another drop. Pro Football Focus (subscription required) has Benjamin tied for fourth worst in the league with his four drops.

Kelvin Benjamin giveth and taketh away like few others.

— gregg rosenthal (@greggrosenthal) October 5, 2014 From watching film, I counted him dropping five passes in the first four games, although a few of those were highly contested by the defender.

These were all known issues when Benjamin was coming out of Florida State, fresh off of a National Championship.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2227930-kelvin-benjamin-still-looks-boom-or-bust

Kelvin Benjamin is now ranked 102 out of 111 WR on PFF... dropping 14.2% of his catchable targets, 7th worst in the league

— Ryan McCrystal (@Ryan_McCrystal) October 6, 2014

He could turn out to be a very good NFL receiver or he could turn out to be a guy that will struggle as teams key in on his limitations, but using a few games of actual output to determine whether or not he was "worth" trading up for doesn't make much sense. He's made some good plays, he has made some bad ones, will he be able to overcome his limitations..........only time will tell.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 11, 2014 at 11:18 PM ]
Fail

yea and the thing is he's been a complete wr for them so far this season. More than just a red zone target. He runs good routes.
He would be the leading wr on the 49ers in terms of yards and td and 2nd in receptions (one behind boldin) regardless of garbage time or too limited amount of games (isnt that the same thing we do with hyde) actually says more for him that as a rookie in a depleted wr core he came in and has produced
Originally posted by teylo31:
He would be the leading wr on the 49ers in terms of yards and td and 2nd in receptions (one behind boldin) regardless of garbage time or too limited amount of games (isnt that the same thing we do with hyde) actually says more for him that as a rookie in a depleted wr core he came in and has produced

And he plays on a team with needs at WR. On the 49ers, he wouldn't have nearly the stats he has now. Good chance he wouldn't even be active on gamedays with the 49ers.
Lol @ us passing this guy up. Baalke blows when it comes to recievers
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5NorCalSavage2:
Lol @ us passing this guy up. Baalke blows when it comes to recievers

LOL at thinking we passed him up when he went before we picked. And LOL at criticizing us not having made a move to get him only a handful of weeks into the season, this is something to revisit in 3-4 years when both he and the guy we took Jimmie Ward have had time to develop.
Share 49ersWebzone