LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 341 users in the forums

Stop The Kelvin Benjamin Hype!

I watched K.B. change shoulders with the ball in the air on a 15 yard post. It was pretty impressive how he was able to look one way then back the other and still track the ball. The ball was coming in fast and he made it look easy. You can't really teach that.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
#1 rule in drafting WR's: Don't draft a player who needs to work on his hands. It's simple and there's proof of its validity.

When and how did this become the #1 rule in drafting WR's.

I am not saying that it is or isn't. I just would like to know where you found the rule.

The full list of rules can be found at:
donttakethingssoliterally.com
[ Edited by doc_brown_ on Feb 21, 2014 at 10:38 PM ]
I really hope we dont get Benjamin in the 1st round. If we trade down to the second and get another 1st for next year to get Benjamin then thats fine.
Originally posted by kronik:
Too slow and basically has no agility. He might be a nice receiving tight end though in the right offense. I don't think he's a good fit. We need a true explosive wide receiver.

LOL. Some of you have clearly never watched him play.

Too slow? He consistently scorched Louchiez Purifoy in the FSU-UF game.

No agility? Have you seen his RAC ability? Look at his long TDs against Duke and UF. Tremendous balance and agility in the open field.

FSU used him on end-arounds more frequently than Rashad Greene and Kenny Shaw, who are both plenty fast and agile.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by kronik:
Too slow and basically has no agility. He might be a nice receiving tight end though in the right offense. I don't think he's a good fit. We need a true explosive wide receiver.

LOL. Some of you have clearly never watched him play.

Too slow? He consistently scorched Louchiez Purifoy in the FSU-UF game.

No agility? Have you seen his RAC ability? Look at his long TDs against Duke and UF. Tremendous balance and agility in the open field.

FSU used him on end-arounds more frequently than Rashad Greene and Kenny Shaw, who are both plenty fast and agile.

Truuf
Originally posted by Howlett49:
I watched K.B. change shoulders with the ball in the air on a 15 yard post. It was pretty impressive how he was able to look one way then back the other and still track the ball. The ball was coming in fast and he made it look easy. You can't really teach that.

That played really impressed me. I cant remember a time where ive seen a WR change shoulders that fast.
[ Edited by Squidp on Feb 21, 2014 at 6:36 AM ]
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
#1 rule in drafting WR's: Don't draft a player who needs to work on his hands. It's simple and there's proof of its validity. EVERY top WR in the NFL, entered the league already possessing great hands. Megatron, Josh Gordon, Demayius Thomas, Julio Jones, AJ Green, blah, blah, blah, all the way to Crabtree.

A WR should be able to catch naturally coming out of college and I don't think Kelvin Benjamin possesses this quality. Marquis Lee does and so does Mike Evans, but Benjo doesn't. Remember, the 49ers have the type of offence where if you can't execute the system, you don't play, especially at WR. Benjamin's raw, like Cordarrelle Patterson, but at least Patterson is a horse on specials teams. It'll take Benjamin some time to adapt to the NFL and he may never become a natural catcher. A gamble not worth taking in my opinion.
Scouting report: "Jones' hands have been inconsistent over his career." There are always differing reports on these guys but if the consensus is he has bad hands we should avoid him...might turn into another Jerry Rice!
*Came out of nowhere as an older college player (he's 23).
*Had the Heisman winner throwing to him.
Huge & slow.

We've seen too many receivers who fit this description (or close to it) and flop in the NFL.
Heard this doot got stone hands.

DON'T WANT
Originally posted by Squidp:

That played really impressed me. I cant remember a time where ive seen a WR change shoulders that fast.

That happens all the time

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Moncrief reminds me of a young Josh Gordon, who everybody wanted to trade high picks for. He should be there in the second round. We have to get the best db we can in the first round.

Niners should have traded a first for Gordon. IMO Gordon is better than any receiver available at 30. He's proven and considering it's still a ? if the Niners can even draft a WR early...

Gordon wasn't for sale. Moncrief will likely be available in the second round when we pick unless he has a stellar showing at the combine.

Then why did everybody want to trade a high pick for him? I'm all for Moncrief in the second, if he truly is similar to Gordon.

He'll probably be a available in the 4th
I'm thinking mid to late 3rd round
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Originally posted by Squidp:

That happens all the time

I think the truth lies somewhere between you guys. It is tough as hell to break eye contact with the ball and reacquire it quickly over the other shoulder (much tougher than the straight over the head catch, which is also tough). I wouldn't say it's a once in a lifetime event, but it sure isn't common either, especially with a relatively flat-trajectory pass (for a fade). JMO, I could be wrong.
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Moncrief reminds me of a young Josh Gordon, who everybody wanted to trade high picks for. He should be there in the second round. We have to get the best db we can in the first round.

Niners should have traded a first for Gordon. IMO Gordon is better than any receiver available at 30. He's proven and considering it's still a ? if the Niners can even draft a WR early...

Gordon wasn't for sale. Moncrief will likely be available in the second round when we pick unless he has a stellar showing at the combine.

Then why did everybody want to trade a high pick for him? I'm all for Moncrief in the second, if he truly is similar to Gordon.

He'll probably be a available in the 4th
I'm thinking mid to late 3rd round

I'd be shocked if he's there in the 5th. I'd guess 2nd to early 3rd. Dude has size, speed, strength, agility, and explosiveness. He bailed out a garbage QB frequently, and had a lot of big plays ruined for him by near-criminal underthrows. Sad about the small hands, though.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xcfan:
who wants to watch this guy drop routine passes for the next several years--because is likely what will happen. move on, and find a guy that snatches everything out of the air.

Devonte Adams only thing is we already have a Adams type WR in boldin and Crabs we need some speed. But Adams is game speed fast.
Originally posted by Axl49:
Originally posted by xcfan:
who wants to watch this guy drop routine passes for the next several years--because is likely what will happen. move on, and find a guy that snatches everything out of the air.

Devonte Adams only thing is we already have a Adams type WR in boldin and Crabs we need some speed. But Adams is game speed fast.

...against the WAC.
Share 49ersWebzone