Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Stop The Kelvin Benjamin Hype!

• jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
this guy is gonna suck in the nfl

Too slow and basically has no agility. He might be a nice receiving tight end though in the right offense. I don't think he's a good fit. We need a true explosive wide receiver.

This
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
this guy is gonna suck in the nfl

Too slow and basically has no agility. He might be a nice receiving tight end though in the right offense. I don't think he's a good fit. We need a true explosive wide receiver.

I've seen a lot of his games the past few weeks and I completely disagree. He moves sort of effortlessly and it doesn't seem like he's going fast, but he is. He also has a second gear that allows him to run by people which is surprising. He just doesn't use it all the time.

That said, I don't think he's a perfect fit for what we do and I like other WRs more.
Originally posted by Elric:
Dude I'm tired of Watching J Jones, and AJ Greens go bye

Kelvin Benjamin is 6'4" 235 played for the nation Champ last year damn.

I studied his tapes and he can be a good wide receiver for the forty niners, draft him.

Has speed. Has the catching radius for RED Zone even a little run after the catch.

Draft Him

He will make us forget about AJ Jenkins.

He does NOT have speed. He has no agility either
Originally posted by Howlett49:
LOL. It was a loaded question. I know he was s**tty. It is hard to find guys who can take the top off, create separation on the short and intermediate routes, stay off the ground against press, and have good hands. Hopefully we can find that guy. Niners can't afford another swing and miss on an early round receiver.

For some of you guys who follow college ball, who are some receivers coming out that may fit that bill? I'm only hearing about these big guys.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I've seen a lot of his games the past few weeks and I completely disagree. He moves sort of effortlessly and it doesn't seem like he's going fast, but he is. He also has a second gear that allows him to run by people which is surprising. He just doesn't use it all the time.

That said, I don't think he's a perfect fit for what we do and I like other WRs more.

Yea, we're gonna have to respectfully disagree on this topic. I just plain have a hard time believing Seattle's coverage will have problems defending the guy. But if he runs under 4.5 at the combine & test well in agility drills, I'll eat crow. We shall see real soon, unless he declines to work out.
[ Edited by kronik on Feb 19, 2014 at 4:01 PM ]
When you look at the 49ers and what they have been lacking for them to win certain games. The one big things are 1. A WR than can get deep 2. A big redzone target that can make catches 3. A WR that can get separation... KB is talented and good at all 3. also he's not a WR that gets pushed around easy at the line. and pretty decent after the catch. A guy that is tough to take down. Looking for a guy like TY Hilton doesnt work in the system that 9ers run because Colts move him around and place him different WR packages to free him off the line. 9ers dont run packages like that.. Im not saying he's the next Calvin Johnson but his skill set fills alot voids the 9ers are missing in their offense. I dont see him being a first rounder anyways more of a early 2nd. so maybe TB can get a CB or safety in the 1st and trade up to grab in early in the 2nd.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Ok I'll play your game, I disagree, and walkins catchs a heavy amount of screens, very easy catchs skewing there catch %. A ball 20+ yards down the field is a lot harder to catch and adjust too.

In a three year span from 2012-2009 these guys lead the league in drops... Go look down Michael crabtree is on this list.
Rank, Player, Team, Drops
1 Brandon Marshall CHI 35
2 Wes Welker NE 32
3 Roddy White ATL 30
4 Dwayne Bowe KC 26
5 DeSean Jackson PHI 25
6 Santana Moss WAS 24
7 Pierre Garcon WAS 22
7 Michael Crabtree SF 22
7 Donald Driver GB 22
10 Nate Burleson DET 21

Look at the talent on that list.. Everyone on this board would want, D Jackson when he came out, Wes welker had Brady one of the great qb's, Donald Driver had Rodgers. I'd take everyone on that list but Nate Burleson.

We need a young randy moss a guy who can run the go and the post, those 2 routes are what benj does best, mikes best route is the comeback you can see it on tap for a guy his size he's really good at that route.

Fully agree, what we want is a guy like Djackson, deep threat who can create separation and take the top off the defense. He also comes with drop problems, still would take him because of the other stuff he does for a team not just a few drops a season.

Doesn't matter the best wr in this class is wakins he's out of our reach, will go db anyways I doubt we risk another change to bust at wr in the first round for the trent baalke era! Dude can draft defensive players like no other, I expect him to just do what he's good at.

Besides doesn't matter which wr we take in this draft, we couldn't develop one for the life of us.

You have to consider the amount of targets when looking at that list. Of course a guy with more opportunities is going to have more drops. Brandon Marshall, Dwayne Bowe, and Michael Crabtree are the most targeted guys on their teams. They are also not great separation guys, so if most of their targets are contested they are going to have more drops.

Well we can use djackson as an example, he gets separation and has drops, he's what we want takes the top off a defense, would I love him on this team sure thing, do the drops he's had make me second guess it, hell no because he's a dynamic player and even the treat of him on the field to go deep demands double coverage catch or not.
Well we can use djackson as an example, he gets separation and has drops, he's what we want takes the top off a defense, would I love him on this team sure thing, do the drops he's had make me second guess it, hell no because he's a dynamic player and even the treat of him on the field to go deep demands double coverage catch or not.

A DJax clone with Kaep, Crab, VD and our running attack would be absolutely lethal.

I think that's what they were hoping for with AJJ but he couldn't prove it. Unfortunately that's drafting WR's. It's boom or bust more than any other position.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Yea, we're gonna have to respectfully disagree on this topic. I just plain have a hard time believing Seattle's coverage will have problems defending the guy. But if he runs under 4.5 at the combine & test well in agility drills, I'll eat crow. We shall see real soon, unless he declines to work out.

Two things can be equally true. He's not slow...he's faster than people are giving him credit for (that's just my observation) AND I don't think he's a good fit for what we need because his brand of football plays into the hands of the Seattle secondary.

True that! But how many Desean Jacksons come out every year? I've noticed a lot of his drops come on slant routes where he is afraid of getting lit up. Especially after having that happen to him early in his career. I guess if Vick was my QB I wouldn't trust him to not throw me into a collision either. I think he starting gaining more trust in Foles to not do that to him as the season went on.

I'd take D.Jackson in a heart beat!!!
Give me Jordan Matthews. Baalke likes SEC talent, so it actually might happen.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Jarvis Landry FTW
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Moncrief reminds me of a young Josh Gordon, who everybody wanted to trade high picks for. He should be there in the second round. We have to get the best db we can in the first round.

Niners should have traded a first for Gordon. IMO Gordon is better than any receiver available at 30. He's proven and considering it's still a ? if the Niners can even draft a WR early...

Gordon wasn't for sale. Moncrief will likely be available in the second round when we pick unless he has a stellar showing at the combine.
Agree. Not a fan of Benjamin.
Moncrief reminds me of a young Josh Gordon, who everybody wanted to trade high picks for. He should be there in the second round. We have to get the best db we can in the first round.

Niners should have traded a first for Gordon. IMO Gordon is better than any receiver available at 30. He's proven and considering it's still a ? if the Niners can even draft a WR early...

Gordon wasn't for sale. Moncrief will likely be available in the second round when we pick unless he has a stellar showing at the combine.

Then why did everybody want to trade a high pick for him? I'm all for Moncrief in the second, if he truly is similar to Gordon.