LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Stop The Kelvin Benjamin Hype!

Evans' catch radius is off the charts.
Anyone who watches Benjamin can tell that he has really good hands and high points the ball like few can. His drops are almost always those easy passes where he's thinking of running before securing the catch. So that's not an issue of good hands, it's an issue of focus and concentration. I'm not saying we should draft the guy (I've cooled on him), but his issue is very fixable.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
is he the gay guy? do not want
The kid was 7 for 7 when thrown to in the end zone this year, and 10 for 11 in the red zone total. I think he can catch the ball.
Baalke's not drafting Benjamin, Evans or Watkins. I'd say odds are he won't take a WR in the 1st rd. The other thing is the numbers shown in the chart can be deceiving...how many times targeted, how deep down the field, lots of variables. Guys I like are Landry, Beckham, Cooks, Herron, Moncrief, Adams, Abbrederris, Robinson...surely TB will find someone among them. Or, maybe he and Harbaugh like somebody else, who knows.
Moncrief reminds me of a young Josh Gordon, who everybody wanted to trade high picks for. He should be there in the second round. We have to get the best db we can in the first round.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Moncrief reminds me of a young Josh Gordon, who everybody wanted to trade high picks for. He should be there in the second round. We have to get the best db we can in the first round.

Some pundit actually said this, on nfl.com IIRC. He blatantly said he doesn't think he has Gordon's skills but that Moncrief is physically similar and talented to Gordon while Gordon was in school.
Originally posted by DueyK:
Totally agree on KB. However, I'm not too sure on Marquis Lee. It may be pointless talking about drafting him because he is out of our reach but regarding his hands it seems like he doesn't have great hands either.

It could be argued that his high drop rate is because of his QB but still, I think over 10% is a bit too high.

Since Kap throws hard soft hands is a must when considering WR's.

I was going to say the same thing. Ive watched Lee for years and he has a lot of drops.
  • Elric
  • Veteran
Dude I'm tired of Watching J Jones, and AJ Greens go bye

Kelvin Benjamin is 6'4" 235 played for the nation Champ last year damn.

I studied his tapes and he can be a good wide receiver for the forty niners, draft him.

Has speed. Has the catching radius for RED Zone even a little run after the catch.

Draft Him

He will make us forget about AJ Jenkins.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
#1 rule in drafting WR's: Don't draft a player who needs to work on his hands. It's simple and there's proof of its validity. EVERY top WR in the NFL, entered the league already possessing great hands. Megatron, Josh Gordon, Demayius Thomas, Julio Jones, AJ Green, blah, blah, blah, all the way to Crabtree.

A WR should be able to catch naturally coming out of college and I don't think Kelvin Benjamin possesses this quality. Marquis Lee does and so does Mike Evans, but Benjo doesn't. Remember, the 49ers have the type of offence where if you can't execute the system, you don't play, especially at WR. Benjamin's raw, like Cordarrelle Patterson, but at least Patterson is a horse on specials teams. It'll take Benjamin some time to adapt to the NFL and he may never become a natural catcher. A gamble not worth taking in my opinion.

Marqise Lee's hands looked way worse than Benjamin's this year. Someone already posted his drop rate: over 12%.

Originally posted by tmpluff:
Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't he have the clutch catch to WIN the National championship game? Um Game over!!!!!!! I'm not saying we should, or shouldn't draft him. but to say he won't come up big in the clutch might be a bit pessimistic

He caught a 5 yard jump ball over a DB 6 inches shorter than him. Let's see how he does catching a frozen rope across the middle, 15 yards down the field.
[ Edited by doc_brown_ on Feb 19, 2014 at 12:41 PM ]
Lets dispell the rumor that Benjamin doesn't have natural hands. He does. He has fantastic hands. What he also his is lapses in concentration. You don't see a guy who can't find the ball, or tries to catch into this body, or doesn't adjust well. His drops are routine passes, and the difficult catches he has no problem with. It's a weird mental thing. TO was the same way. He'll make difficult and contested catches, but will drop routine easy ones. Benjamin plucks the ball out of the air with the best of them...and then loses focus on other plays.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Anyone who watches Benjamin can tell that he has really good hands and high points the ball like few can. His drops are almost always those easy passes where he's thinking of running before securing the catch. So that's not an issue of good hands, it's an issue of focus and concentration. I'm not saying we should draft the guy (I've cooled on him), but his issue is very fixable.

Sorry Ghost, your assertion is based on facts and film. Seems like this board is more interested in generalizations that aren't rooted in facts or truths. And yes, 100% accurate on that. I really do worry about his mental make up though. The physical (including hands) is there.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Originally posted by tmpluff:
Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't he have the clutch catch to WIN the National championship game? Um Game over!!!!!!! I'm not saying we should, or shouldn't draft him. but to say he won't come up big in the clutch might be a bit pessimistic

He caught a 5 yard jump ball over a DB 6 inches shorter than him. Let's see how he does catching a frozen rope across the middle, 15 yards down the field.

technically it was 15 yards down the field.....

Winston threw it from the 9 1/2 yard line....Benjamin caught it roughly 5 yards into the endzone.

14.5 yards give or take a yard.

Also the size of the DB has nothing to do with him because whether it was his route, ability to fake out the DB, Benjamin was open by about 2 yards when he caught the ball. So what Benjamin does get credit for is actually securing the difficult jump ball once the DB got to him and tried to strip the ball from him.

I'm not pro or anti Benjamin but that play is a play that not every receiver makes, even if height removed from the equation.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Marqise Lee's hands looked way worse than Benjamin's this year. Someone already posted his drop rate: over 12%.

I came in to this thread to make sure you posted in here.

Left satisfied
Share 49ersWebzone