LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Stop The Kelvin Benjamin Hype!

#1 rule in drafting WR's: Don't draft a player who needs to work on his hands. It's simple and there's proof of its validity. EVERY top WR in the NFL, entered the league already possessing great hands. Megatron, Josh Gordon, Demayius Thomas, Julio Jones, AJ Green, blah, blah, blah, all the way to Crabtree.

A WR should be able to catch naturally coming out of college and I don't think Kelvin Benjamin possesses this quality. Marquis Lee does and so does Mike Evans, but Benjo doesn't. Remember, the 49ers have the type of offence where if you can't execute the system, you don't play, especially at WR. Benjamin's raw, like Cordarrelle Patterson, but at least Patterson is a horse on specials teams. It'll take Benjamin some time to adapt to the NFL and he may never become a natural catcher. A gamble not worth taking in my opinion.
[ Edited by doc_brown_ on Feb 19, 2014 at 2:05 AM ]
Totally agree on KB. However, I'm not too sure on Marquis Lee. It may be pointless talking about drafting him because he is out of our reach but regarding his hands it seems like he doesn't have great hands either.

It could be argued that his high drop rate is because of his QB but still, I think over 10% is a bit too high.

Since Kap throws hard soft hands is a must when considering WR's.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
who wants to watch this guy drop routine passes for the next several years--because is likely what will happen. move on, and find a guy that snatches everything out of the air.
Unfortunately, most guys who run the deep ball as their specialty don't have the best of hands.
I think u just help with hyping him up with another thread
Lee is overrated too...
this guy is gonna suck in the nfl
Ok I'll play your game, I disagree, and walkins catchs a heavy amount of screens, very easy catchs skewing there catch %. A ball 20+ yards down the field is a lot harder to catch and adjust too.

In a three year span from 2012-2009 these guys lead the league in drops... Go look down Michael crabtree is on this list.
Rank, Player, Team, Drops
1 Brandon Marshall CHI 35
2 Wes Welker NE 32
3 Roddy White ATL 30
4 Dwayne Bowe KC 26
5 DeSean Jackson PHI 25
6 Santana Moss WAS 24
7 Pierre Garcon WAS 22
7 Michael Crabtree SF 22
7 Donald Driver GB 22
10 Nate Burleson DET 21

Look at the talent on that list.. Everyone on this board would want, D Jackson when he came out, Wes welker had Brady one of the great qb's, Donald Driver had Rodgers. I'd take everyone on that list but Nate Burleson.

We need a young randy moss a guy who can run the go and the post, those 2 routes are what benj does best, mikes best route is the comeback you can see it on tap for a guy his size he's really good at that route.

Doesn't matter the best wr in this class is wakins he's out of our reach, will go db anyways I doubt we risk another change to bust at wr in the first round for the trent baalke era! Dude can draft defensive players like no other, I expect him to just do what he's good at.

Besides doesn't matter which wr we take in this draft, we couldn't develop one for the life of us.
I agree he does drop a few but so did T.O and so did Vernon Davis and those guys are both beasts. Kelvin is a physical freak who attacks the ball, he has the ability to jump over dbs, if he gets drafted to another team and is straight up balling you better be willing to eat Crow.
Originally posted by DueyK:
Totally agree on KB. However, I'm not too sure on Marquis Lee. It may be pointless talking about drafting him because he is out of our reach but regarding his hands it seems like he doesn't have great hands either.

It could be argued that his high drop rate is because of his QB but still, I think over 10% is a bit too high.

Since Kap throws hard soft hands is a must when considering WR's.

then we need to look to Jarvis Landry.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
I think it's important that a receiver we draft knows how to catch.
Hands are very important but drop rate doesn't necessarily make or break a receiver. There are a lot of other aspects that go into playing receiver that some guys can make up for their lack of hands with. Just ask Terrell Owens.

Also there is a difference between bad hands and inconsistent hands. Telvin Reese, Darrius Heyward Bey, Vernon Davis early in his career are some guys I'd classify as having bad hands.

Then you have guys with inconsistent hands like Michael Crabtree and Brandon Marshall. These guys have really good hands and can make some great catches, but they also tend to have lapses in concentration and drop some balls they shouldn't. I'd put Benjamin in this category of inconsistent hands.

Lastly, having good hands is natural to some degree, but a player can definitely improve their hands. Of course you'll never go from having stone hands to becoming Cris Carter, but you can improve vastly in that area. See Vernon Davis and Jerry Rice.
Ok, let's get Watkins then.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
#1 rule in drafting WR's: Don't draft a player who needs to work on his hands. It's simple and there's proof of its validity.

When and how did this become the #1 rule in drafting WR's.

I am not saying that it is or isn't. I just would like to know where you found the rule.
Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't he have the clutch catch to WIN the National championship game? Um Game over!!!!!!! I'm not saying we should, or shouldn't draft him. but to say he won't come up big in the clutch might be a bit pessimistic
Share 49ersWebzone