There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OTC's Pre-Combine Mock 2/18/14

Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Not a bad draft. I agree with a lot of your reasoning, but we would see very little immediate impact from this draft. That seems to be in accordance with Baalke's past strategies, but after coming up short 3 years in a row, I think he strays from the plan a little.

I also don't see us resigning Wright after how his season ended, and I think they'll want to create a lot more competition in the defensive backfield, mainly through upgrades to our depth. Bringing in Desir in the 3rd only does so much to that end.

We will see, but I agree to an extent -- I think we will do a little more to land impact players, while still striving for some balance in the draft in terms of future development. As stated before, we definitely aren't going to keep all these picks. We'll wheel and deal to get who we want.
I think the bigger issue is, will Hageman last until pick #30? I see the Cardinals at #20 looking for a replacement for/understudy to the declining Darnell Dockett, and pairing Hageman with Calais Campbell on that d-line would be hugely attractive. The Patriots, picking just in front of us, are famous for drafting guys like Hageman (6'6", 300 pound DEs) in the first round and that defensive line could use an infusion of youth, size and talent.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I think the bigger issue is, will Hageman last until pick #30? I see the Cardinals at #20 looking for a replacement for/understudy to the declining Darnell Dockett, and pairing Hageman with Calais Campbell on that d-line would be hugely attractive. The Patriots, picking just in front of us, are famous for drafting guys like Hageman (6'6", 300 pound DEs) in the first round and that defensive line could use an infusion of youth, size and talent.

I would see Baalke trading up for the player he wants. So with the renegotiating of Baldwin's contract they have the "big" receiver in him. So now the question will be whether they go for safety, CB, or DL, or even OL. How do you rank Tuitt, Hageman, Easley?
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

I would see Baalke trading up for the player he wants. So with the renegotiating of Baldwin's contract they have the "big" receiver in him. So now the question will be whether they go for safety, CB, or DL, or even OL. How do you rank Tuitt, Hageman, Easley?

Hageman is probably the better prospect at this point (though a healthy Easely would've been ranked higher, IMO), but I'm biased towards Tuitt and Easley because I think they're both more refined and I know what I'm getting. Hageman has more upside than either though, so if we're shooting for high-ceiling guys, Hageman would be the pick.
Now that Carradine is healthy, does this affect the board...along with Williams/Dial and some experience and TJE/Dobbs/Okoye?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Now that Carradine is healthy, does this affect the board...along with Williams/Dial and some experience and TJE/Dobbs/Okoye?

I personally feel like we won't go DT/DE early knowing Tank is healthy, Williams will be back and we're still developing TJE and Dial. I doubt Okoye is a factor, but there's definitely a reason they're keeping him around.
No way Archer and Long slip to the 7th. None.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
We will see, but I agree to an extent -- I think we will do a little more to land impact players, while still striving for some balance in the draft in terms of future development. As stated before, we definitely aren't going to keep all these picks. We'll wheel and deal to get who we want.

I thought that may have been in the back of your mind while you put this mock together--the notion that we'll be moving around and possibly up, I mean.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

I think Baldwin is only being kept for competition purposes. He's going to be given another shot to prove himself with an offseason, but that doesn't mean we won't draft a big receiver if he's the highest on the 49ers' board. I think we are definitely going to target a receiver, most likely a speed receiver who has shown the quickness and ability to beat strong press corners off the line (Robert Herron is one of the best ones in this class). Straight line speed is nice, but a weak receiver with average lateral mobility will have that speed negated significantly in the NFL.