There are 221 users in the forums

Martavis Bryant.

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Probably not right away and definitely not in his first year. Second year as a pro player, absolutely.

Yea the problem is we can't keep bringing in players to learn how to return kicks. They need to either do it from the get go or not at all.

LMJ is serviceable but he's not shown he can find that second lane that a natural return man finds to create big returns. I can't be concrete because Bryant has almost no experience but it would likely be the same.

This is why I would probably die if we somehow got our hands on Justin Gilbert in the 1st. He'd likely win the nickel role in camp and play with Brock and Cully, and he's a dynamic returner.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 21, 2014 at 10:52 AM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
Probably not right away and definitely not in his first year. Second year as a pro player, absolutely.

Yea the problem is we can't keep bringing in players to learn how to return kicks. They need to either do it from the get go or not at all.

LMJ is serviceable but he's not shown he can find that second lane that a natural return man finds to create big returns. I can't be concrete because Bryant has almost no experience but it would likely be the same.

This is why I would probably die if we somehow got our hands on Justin Gilbert in the 1st. He'd likely win the nickel role in camp and play with Brock and Cully, and he's a dynamic returner.

Not sure if you're understanding my full point since you were commenting off a short post of mine. I'm not even advocating we draft the guy...I only said that he reminded me of Jacoby Jones, from a size, speed and overall skills-standpoint. I think (for good or bad), that's his potential, but I'm not suggesting he's right for us.

If he were to be drafted by us (or anyone else, for that matter), I don't see him being groomed primarily as a special teams player; mostly as a WR. I'm just saying, the skills are there if a team chose to develop them, but they'd have to be developed over time since he had other guys ahead of him at Clemson (namely Sammy Watkins and Andre Ellington) who were pretty good options.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Not sure if you're understanding my full point since you were commenting off a short post of mine. I'm not even advocating we draft the guy...I only said that he reminded me of Jacoby Jones, from a size, speed and overall skills-standpoint. I think (for good or bad), that's his potential, but I'm not suggesting he's right for us.

If he were to be drafted by us (or anyone else, for that matter), I don't see him being groomed primarily as a special teams player; mostly as a WR. I'm just saying, the skills are there if a team chose to develop them, but they'd have to be developed over time since he had other guys ahead of him at Clemson (namely Sammy Watkins and Andre Ellington) who were pretty good options.

I understood you fine. You say he may make a good ST player if a team choses, I'm saying we wouldn't be a team to do so IF we selected him.

We would leave his as WR like you indicate as well.

I only point out Gilbert because if we chose to make any changes to our return/ST it would be with a player that makes an impact from day 1, whether the player comes from the draft or FA would be a null point.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 21, 2014 at 11:04 AM ]

I understood you fine. You say he may make a good ST player if a team choses, I'm saying we wouldn't be a team to do so IF we selected him.

We would leave his as WR like you indicate as well.

I only point out Gilbert because if we chose to make any changes to our return/ST it would be with a player that makes an impact from day 1, whether the player comes from the draft or FA would be a null point.

If it's us that drafted him, I agree with that but of course, neither you nor I know for sure what they will or will not do with young players. I also agree about Gilbert, though we'd have to trade up somewhere in the 10-15 range to get him so I'm not sure how realistic that option is.

If James is on the roster next year, I think he's our KR/PR for good or bad. He was a huge improvement over KW, but that was a low bar to begin with and I agree that LMJ needs to show more.
Failed drug test. Facing 1 year suspension. This was one of the noted pre-draft concerns about him.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 12, 2016 at 11:20 AM ]
How hard is it to stop smoking weed
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:

Really hard apparently.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:

Really hard apparently.

Man, one day he may wake up and realize he could have bought is own Pot farm w/the money he's blowing.

Plain & simple - STUPID!
Share 49ersWebzone