LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Martavis Bryant.

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
What makes him a good receiver? The ability to high-point the ball (no, this is not something I'm assuming based on his height, we can go over video of him doing so), he's capable of making a play of the ball with his back to the QB (new thing I've read about, and have since looked for), he makes great body adjustments, has incredible physical traits, and is very good on fade routes. What about his hands are "questionable at best"? I see a tremendous talent, and a kid that's made the most of every opportunity he's gotten. His production is due to the talent around him (a top 5/10 pick and another 1st round pick) throughout his career. I'm more than happy to continue this debate by using video evidence. Now, I'll admit that I haven't watched all his games, but I've seen everything available on the web--which in today's day is quite a bit--and am willing to stand by my evaluation of this kid. Also, "project" isn't such an issue, considering he'll be behind Crabs, Q and QP during his first year.

Here is an excerpt from Scouting Inc's profile on Bryant so it isn't just crazy Phoenix saying some of this stuff.

Intangibles-4-Suspended (academics) for 2012 Chick-fil-A Bowl game vs. LSU. Multiple NFL scouts have voiced concerns regarding "mental capacity." Also concerns about "clutter" and "distractions" in his life. Was disciplined (missed portion of Wake Forest game) for giving throat-slash gesture vs. N.C. State in 2013.

Wide Receiver Specific Traits

Separation Skills-3-Showed improvement as an intermediate route runner. Has the speed to threaten and is becoming savvier with stems. Struggles to drop weight when going full speed, so will take too long in transition on comeback routes. Telegraphs some of his routes. Has shown improvement with feel for finding soft spots in zone. Has a natural feel and should continue to develop. Was never a good fit in Clemson's offensive system. He's a vertical route runner with elite size and speed. Would fit perfectly in Ravens' system with a big-armed QB like Joe Flacco to maximize his vertical potential.

Ball Skills-4-Will make some acrobatic catches. Displays very good body control and awareness working sideline. Frequently shows ability to adjust to the football. Adjust better than expected for his size  especially below his waist. But suffers from too many drops. Flashes ability to make tough catch in traffic. Has enormous catching radius and is difficult to defend when he high points the ball. However, he does not attack ball at high point enough, especially on vertical routes. Allows too many balls into his pads. Seems to lose confidence during game if he drops a ball (see 2013 UGA). In 2013, had 42 catches on 65 targets.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 18, 2014 at 7:47 PM ]
As I've been saying, he's a pure long ball chaser, he's not a guy you'll go to on varied routes, you'll tell him to go deep, hopefully he beats his coverage down the field and you chuck the ball to him there. Don't expect him to run comeback routes or slants, don't count on him to run block, if you use him for anything other than a vertical threat, you're basically wasting his talent.

Because of those limitations, I'll gladly take someone like Herron over him due to Herron's natural quickness which allows him to quickly gain separation, he's a guy who can beat you downfield, beat you on a screen, an end around, a slant, comeback routes and more, a guy with lightning quick feet that bigger defensive backs will struggle to stay with.
Classic boom or bust guy. According to the Clemson coaches the last few years, he has had the most physical ability and potential of anyone on campus, including Nuk Hopkins and Sammy Watkins. They claim he is actually faster than Sammy as well. He is known to drop some easy balls as he did in the season opener against UGA, but then he will make ridiculous circus catches like this (fast forward to the :55 mark of the OB highlight):

I expect that he will shoot up the boards once he logs a super fast 40 time, but he honestly frightens me as a NFL player. He is leaving because he already has two kids, and he hasn't shown the best mental focus thus far. As mentioned, though, he had to split time with the likes of Nuk, Sammy, and even TE Dwayne Allen as a freshman. He definitely had a great season this year.
This just in from the combine

Martavis Bryant 6'3 1/2 211
Project. Wouldn't touch him before the 3rd round. Playing on the other side of Watkins certainly gives him a lot of easy looks.
Rather have Moncrief...
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Rather have Moncrief...

same. I said I wouldn't mind Bryant but not for where he'll be selected(early 4th late 3rd IIRC). If he fails to our 5th rounder then maybe it would be a good move
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 21, 2014 at 9:04 AM ]
Montcrief by a landslide.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
He's very raw. i'm not sure he would develop with us.
Bryant reminds me a lot of Jacoby Jones. Decent threat as a 3rd WR and a dangerous kickoff return man.

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Bryant reminds me a lot of Jacoby Jones. Decent threat as a 3rd WR and a dangerous kickoff return man.

He's only had experience on kick offs and he averaged a pedestrian 20 yards per attempt and only a career long of 36.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
As I've been saying, he's a pure long ball chaser, he's not a guy you'll go to on varied routes, you'll tell him to go deep, hopefully he beats his coverage down the field and you chuck the ball to him there. Don't expect him to run comeback routes or slants, don't count on him to run block, if you use him for anything other than a vertical threat, you're basically wasting his talent.

Because of those limitations, I'll gladly take someone like Herron over him due to Herron's natural quickness which allows him to quickly gain separation, he's a guy who can beat you downfield, beat you on a screen, an end around, a slant, comeback routes and more, a guy with lightning quick feet that bigger defensive backs will struggle to stay with.
thanks.

now i do not even want him at the end of the 3rd.
Originally posted by sfout:

He's only had experience on kick offs and he averaged a pedestrian 20 yards per attempt and only a career long of 36.

If you just look at stats, it can be a bit deceiving. When you watch him explode around the corner and leave smaller, seemingly quicker players in the dust (like he did in 2012 against Maryland), you begin to see the potential. Watkins was their primary kickoff returner for obvious reasons, but when he was hobbled in the Maryland game, they gave Bryant a shot. He exploded around the left corner on one of his returns in a way that was pretty eye-opening.

So yah, 14 career kick-off returns is a pretty small sample size either way. But watching him with the ball in his hands is what I was referring to.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 21, 2014 at 10:47 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran

If you just look at stats, it can be a bit deceiving. When you watch him explode around the corner and leave smaller, seemingly quicker players in the dust (like he did in 2012 against Maryland), you begin to see the potential. Watkins was their primary kickoff returner for obvious reasons, but when he was hobbled in the Maryland game, they have Bryant a shot. He exploded around the left corner on one of his returns in a way that was pretty eye-opening.

So yah, 14 career kick-off returns is a pretty small sample size either way. But watching him with the ball in his hands is what I was referring to.

But you'd ask a player who has that minimal of experience with kickoffs to learn?

LMJ had comparable experience in college and it took the coaches an entire year to be comfortable with him as a returner. And there opposites, Bryant only had experience as KR, LMJ as a PR -- it would be equally as ugly as watching LMJ fielding punts/kicks his rookie year if we did that with Bryant.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 21, 2014 at 10:49 AM ]

If you just look at stats, it can be a bit deceiving. When you watch him explode around the corner and leave smaller, seemingly quicker players in the dust (like he did in 2012 against Maryland), you begin to see the potential. Watkins was their primary kickoff returner for obvious reasons, but when he was hobbled in the Maryland game, they have Bryant a shot. He exploded around the left corner on one of his returns in a way that was pretty eye-opening.

But you'd ask a player who has that minimal of experience with kickoffs to learn?

LMJ had comparable experience in college and it took the coaches an entire year to be comfortable with him as a returner.

Probably not right away and definitely not in his first year. Second year as a pro player, absolutely. Even an experienced college punt/kick returner like Jones struggled with consistency at the pro level. Yes, he'd make big plays now and again, but he also muffed some punts in key situations that eventually led to the Texans losing faith in him.

It's a tough gig, so no I wouldn't give him those responsibilities right away.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 21, 2014 at 10:52 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone