There are 227 users in the forums

Ghost mocking V 1.0 - pre-combine

I know, it's way too early and there's already a ton of mocks to look through, but I couldn't help myself. Here's my way-too-early take at our entire off-season, which includes free agency, releases, free agent signings and of course the draft (complete with UDFAs).

Enjoy....or not.

Cap savings in parenthesis:
Cut: Rogers (-$5.1), Dahl (-$1.4), J. Baldwin (-$1.4), Gore restructure (-$2.4M), Willis restructure (-$2M)
- Leaves the team with ~$20M+ in cap space

Cap hit in parenthesis (2014)
Re-sign: Boldin (+$5M), Whitner (+$4), Dawson (+$3M), Wilhoite (+$600k)=$13M

Free agent signing:
Brandon Ghee, CB - 6'0", 200 - (Bengals) - (+$1.25) - Why? If for some reason Cully's knee isn't responding, we have a veteran to take over. Worse case, he's a relatively cheap backup. He's also very "cuttable" in the event Cully comes back strong and our young CBs are picking up fast. Think a younger, healthier version of the Nnamdi situation.

- $14.25M for free agents
- $6M+ to sign rookies

2014 49ers NFL draft - (40 times included)
1.) Lamarcus Joyner, CB - Florida St. (5'8", 195) - 4.52
2.) Weston Richburg, OC - Colorado St. (6'4", 300) - 5.18
2.) Robert Herron, WR - Wyoming (5'9", 193) - 4.38
3.) Dominique Easley, DT - Florida (6'2", 290) - 4.93
3.) Keith McGill, CB - Utah (6'3", 214) - 4.49
3.) Walt Aikens, CB - Liberty (6'1", 205) - 4.55
4.) Cody Latimer, WR - Indiana (6'2", 215) - 4.52
5.) Trey Millard, FB - Oklahoma (6'2", 255) - 4.64
6.) L'Damian Washington, WR - Missouri (6'4", 200) - 4.39
7.) Brock Vereen, SS - Minnesota (6'0", 200) - 4.49
7.) Trey Burton, TE/SAK - Florida (6'2", 230) - 4.60
7.) Larry Webster, DE/OLB - Bloomsburg (6'6", 250) - 4.67

UDFA signings:
Garrett Gilbert, QB - Austyn Carta-Samuels, QB - Kenneth Acker, CB - Demetri Goodson, CB - Pierre Warren, S - Demetrius Wright, S - Marquis Spruill, ILB - Keith Smith, ILB - Asante Cleveland, TE - Damien Williams, RB - Kiero Small, FB - Dillon Farrell, OC - Kevin Danser, OG - Terrance Hackney, OT - Kenny Anunike, DE/OLB - Chris Whaley, DE/DT - Brendan Gibbons, K - Harrison Waid, P

90-man training camp roster (final 53 in bold, asterisk is likely PuP list)
QB: Kap, Bethel-Thompson, Gilbert, Carta-Samuels
RB: Gore, Hunter, Lattimore, James, Hampton, Williams
FB: Miller, Debniak, Butler, Small, Millard*
WR: Boldin, Crabby, Patton, Herron, Latimer, Washington, Carswell, Wylie, Jacobs
TE: Davis, McDonald, Celek, Burton, Carrier, Cleveland
OT: Staley, Davis, Snyder, Bykowski, Marquardt, Hackney
OG: Iupati, Boone, Looney, Seymour, Netter, Danser
OC: Kilgore, Westburg, Farrell

NT: Dorsey, Williams, Dial, Purcell
DE: JSmith, RayMac, TJE, Tank, Okoye, Whaley, Easley*
OLB: Brooks, ASmith, Lemonier, Skuta, Webster, Anunike
ILB: Willis, Bowman*, Wilhoite, Moody, Fleming, Spruill, KSmith
CB: Culliver, Brock, Joyner, Ghee, McGill, Aikens, Morris, Woodson, Acker
FS: Reid, Spillman, Warren
SS: Whitner, Ventrone, Vereen, Campbell

K: Dawson, Gibbons
P: Lee, Wade
LS: McDermott
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 17, 2014 at 7:15 PM ]
Btw, Joyner's eventually taking over at SS (Whitner will not be signed long-term), but having him start as a nickel corner is an ideal way to get his feet wet.
Overall I like it Ghost. But, I wouldnt pass on a stud WR in round 2 to take a C. If Landry, Robinson, Matthews, or Adams are there in the 2nd I would grab them over Richburg and then grab Martin in the 3rd (assuming he is there). I also think the Niners will take an OT somewhere in this draft.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Overall I like it Ghost. But, I wouldnt pass on a stud WR in round 2 to take a C. If Landry, Robinson, Matthews, or Adams are there in the 2nd I would grab them over Richburg and then grab Martin in the 3rd (assuming he is there). I also think the Niners will take an OT somewhere in this draft.

I'm actually getting a stud WR in Herron.

The thinking is, Boldin and Crabby will get the bulk of the playing time on the outside, with Patton and Herron primarily working out of the slot. Starting in 2015 though, the spot opposite Boldin will be open, and Patton/Herron can fight for it. Long-term, a guy like Latimer can be much like Boldin (great size/strength, good speed, tough with the ball in his hands) and Washington is a wild card. Great speed and length but raw as sashimi.

Not sure if they'll go with an OT given the contracts of Staley and Davis, Snyder being able to cover either spot and Bykowski/Marquardt on the practice squad. IMO, there's not a lot of need for a draftable OT right now.

The big reason for going with the center that early is that Richburg and Swanson are likely the only two centers who can come in and start on day one. That may be necessary given how much of a mystery Kilgore is. I'm sure they like Kilgore, but I'd rather lock that very critical position down early with a top prospect.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 17, 2014 at 7:43 PM ]
Ghost, I would also be pretty shocked if the Niners dont draft a QB in this draft unless they sign a FA before.
Ghost, I would also be pretty shocked if the Niners dont draft a QB in this draft unless they sign a FA before.

Always possible, but I don't see the 3rd day QBs being much better options than the UDFAs in this draft, and I definitely don't see them taking a QB in the middle rounds. Seems like a real waste of a pick...but that's just me.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Always possible, but I don't see the 3rd day QBs being much better options than the UDFAs in this draft, and I definitely don't see them taking a QB in the middle rounds. Seems like a real waste of a pick...but that's just me.

I could easily see them taking a QB in rounds 4 or 5. When your only backup is Bethel-Thompson I think it would hardly be a waste especially when you have as many picks as the Niners have

I could easily see them taking a QB in rounds 4 or 5. When your only backup is Bethel-Thompson I think it would hardly be a waste especially when you have as many picks as the Niners have

But who would you prefer? Btw, if something happened to Kap, we're effed either way.
A first round 5'8" corner and a second round 5'9" receiver, I can't see it with this team.

But who would you prefer? Btw, if something happened to Kap, we're effed either way.

McCarron, Murray, Fales. I think all of those guys would be worth grabbing with a 4th.

McCarron, Murray, Fales. I think all of those guys would be worth grabbing with a 4th.

We'll definitely agree to disagree on those names.

More likely they wait until before the opener and sign a veteran.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
A first round 5'8" corner and a second round 5'9" receiver, I can't see it with this team.

We did go Jenkins (5'11'ish) and James (5'9") just two years ago. Now, yes that didn't/hasn't worked out, but it's not like they don't have an interest in smaller/faster players. Clearly they want to get faster (at least Baalke does), but it has to be the right players and if you've studied Joyner and Herron, they both play much bigger. And, everyone after those first two positions are huge/great size.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Maybe I'm wrong, but that's gotta be the first Mock Draft I've EVER seen Ghost do. lol

Joyner, McGill and Herron will do, you can pretty much close up shop after that!!!
Ghost, I normally find your mocks to be pretty good. With all due respect, I am not sure I find this to be a very realistic forecast for what the 49ers will do on draft day. At least not with the first pick.

Historically speaking, the 49ers do not take chances on undersized defenders early (or sometimes in the draft at all) -- they wait until later before taking those risks, or Undrafted Free Agency. So, I just think with that, it seems a little iffy.

Now for the positives, I could see us going after Easley, Herron, and the stretch of picks from Aikens to Washington. No problem with those. Sure, I'd have my own personal preferences of picks in those slots, but in terms of predicting our draft, those selections seem fairly feasible.

Overall, still massive shuffling yet to occur obviously with the combines and pro days yet to be done, so we'll see how things change then.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 17, 2014 at 8:20 PM ]

Could not disagree more. The Niners should be drafting qb's until they get one who can be a capable back up to CK7. I think Fales or AJ Mcarron in the fourth or even with the third round compensatory pick for Goldson is fine with me. The niners NEED a capable back up. End of story.
Share 49ersWebzone