LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

MadDog's 2014 NFL Draft Pre-Combine Big 150 Board

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by thl408:
Is this a top heavy draft? Evenly dispersed talent? Deep or shallow? I know nothing of these players so I thought this would be a good thread to ask this question.

I think it is a deeper class than top heavy class, beyond the first ten picks, the next tier to me is about the same (the next 30+ picks). Excellent value for interior linemen in the mid-rounds, and potential for a monster wide receiver even in the third round, if you get lucky, really good RBs and TEs also in the mid rounds. Not super high on the safety class after the top 3 guys. Better get ward or pryor or Dix right away because the safety class drops off quickly.

MD, I know you're also a fan of Abbrederis, but to me he's the best receiver in this class (of the guys who will be available to us without a trade up. So basically, I recognize that Watkins is better). I know he's not the biggest, but honestly that's the only knock I see on him. He's the best route runner, he returns punts, he's got speed (although for some reason people say he doesn't), makes great adjustments for the ball in the air, dangerous in the open field, and has incredible hands. He's always focused and extremely smart, and always EARNS separation. He's my favorite player to watch, and my favorite player in this draft. I know everyone else likes him too, but for some reason sees some kind of a limitation. Analysts go on and on about how he does everything well, and then don't put him in their top-10 WRs. What's your ceiling on him? Am I overrating him? I see a guy capable of consistantly 1000+/8+. Maybe a Victor Cruz

He's a guy who has a shot to be very good in this league. Could easily see him post mega numbers with Brady or Manning in year one, Superb football intelligence and sneaky quick on the field. Does everything you want at the position. Will outwork everyone on the field. I love the kid.
think Abbrederis will struggle beating press?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

He doesn't in college. He's so quick off the line, and has incredible footwork that helps him get inside a corner quickly. I've been very impressed with his ability to beat press. It's not entirely about size/strength.

He doesn't in college. He's so quick off the line, and has incredible footwork that helps him get inside a corner quickly. I've been very impressed with his ability to beat press. It's not entirely about size/strength.

Tend to agree.

Have a feeling he might post one of the best 3 cone drills at the combine, showing good change of direction
Robert Woods had a pretty good season for a rook, that makes Lee look pretty good. I mean they were pretty similar with Lee being bigger and more athletic, and Woods being a little more polished. Lee is probably a pretty safe pick to be a good nfl contributor. Not sure about a star, but a long time starter. Getting him late first would be great.
The depth of this draft will cause some excellent players to fall to the 3rd, 4th, and probably even the 5th round. That is one of the reasons it's going to be so incredibly exciting once that day comes.
Board looks really good, MD. Hope you have Benjamin over-projected, but I think you're probably going to end up right on him.
MD, can you bold the 9er pick positions.
MD, is this the year to trade down and really reload? There seems to be a lot of talent in the first several rounds and some guys can't distinguish themselves from others.
I think you underestimate some people who are unpaid professionals. The draft is witchcraft. I can find you more than a million amateurs who would have hit more than Baalke in 2012. Of course, you have to stack the bodies over the years between those who make calls to see who is best, amateur or paid professional (and there is no doubt that Baalke has been good thus far). This amateur in that draft alone selected starters in Konz, Sanu, Malik Jackson, Vick Ballard, Antonio Allen, and probable future starter in Brandon Thompson. People who avidly watch football and know the system and history of the draft don't need a title to be as good as many on payroll. There are many smart guys on this board. Don't forget, this amateur picked the best defensive player in the NFL a few years back.

I always enjoy your big board.

However, I differ with you when it comes to drafting. The reason is, it is one thiing to rate a bunch players and say see their success as compared to the one player that a team has taken. For all the bunches of players that an ameteur likes better than a team picks that succeeds and says see all these were choices, what the ameteur fails to also state is the flip side, the players he like better but failed. Like Kiper, one thing to rate a player based on talent alone and on the big board. Another to draft when you are on the hot seat and have only one selection and you need to bring in a player based on who fits the team's system, need, and couple with the best player available balance. Then hope your coaches are good enough to get the most of him. If you just go with best available every year, then you will have a team with too many at one position that your team doesn't need.

• buck
  • Veteran
I think you underestimate some people who are unpaid professionals. The draft is witchcraft. I can find you more than a million amateurs who would have hit more than Baalke in 2012. Of course, you have to stack the bodies over the years between those who make calls to see who is best, amateur or paid professional (and there is no doubt that Baalke has been good thus far). This amateur in that draft alone selected starters in Konz, Sanu, Malik Jackson, Vick Ballard, Antonio Allen, and probable future starter in Brandon Thompson. People who avidly watch football and know the system and history of the draft don't need a title to be as good as many on payroll. There are many smart guys on this board. Don't forget, this amateur picked the best defensive player in the NFL a few years back.

The ears of the African elephant are larger than the Indian elephant.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Murphys1:
It's like a kid in a candy store...there are so many good players. I often wish one of the draft gurus on this board could do our draft instead of Trent B. Really, sometimes I do. By the way, I like a trade back, but not if Lee is there. If I pick Lee, I can focus on DB and defense for the next few picks. He can be an all around WR, kind of "big AND little". I like and better than or.

You have to be kidding. I take Baalke any day of the week.

LOL Ya think? Anyone who thinks that some amateur in the WZ knows more than Baalke or would do a better job is crazy.

I wouldn't underestimate unpaid professionals insofar as picking some winners, everybody has at some point. It's one thing to read articles, watch film and make a guess but it's another thing entirely to design, lead and manage a scouting, talent acquisition and talent development business strategy that is sustainable. That is what, in my opinion, separates the pro's from the armchairs.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Feb 23, 2014 at 12:36 PM ]
Originally posted by bzborow1:
I wouldn't underestimate unpaid professionals insofar as picking some winners, everybody has at some point. It's one thing to read articles, watch film and make a guess but it's another thing entirely to design, lead and manage a scouting, talent acquisition and talent development business strategy that is sustainable. That is what, in my opinion, separates the pro's from the armchairs.

If you look at all these talent shows on TV, it proves that there are people just as if not more talented than the professionals. It's just that they either haven't had a chance, or don't have the aggression, or the personality / looks to go out and take the spotlight. Many things in life come down to aggression and connections.

For example, Mel Kiper talks really fast, and makes things sound exciting. He has a good stage presence. He probably got a break at some point, and then just rode it the rest of the way. I doubt he is anywhere close to one of the best at talent evaluation, and its not like there are a whole bunch of positions that need filling.
Former players, coaches, friends, are always going to get first crack at those kinds of jobs.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by bzborow1:

If you look at all these talent shows on TV, it proves that there are people just as if not more talented than the professionals. It's just that they either haven't had a chance, or don't have the aggression, or the personality / looks to go out and take the spotlight. Many things in life come down to aggression and connections.

For example, Mel Kiper talks really fast, and makes things sound exciting. He has a good stage presence. He probably got a break at some point, and then just rode it the rest of the way. I doubt he is anywhere close to one of the best at talent evaluation, and its not like there are a whole bunch of positions that need filling.
Former players, coaches, friends, are always going to get first crack at those kinds of jobs.

Of course 90% of his football output these days seems to be 1st round mock drafts from watching college football games. Last I checked there is 7 rounds in a draft and also undrafted free agents to consider.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Feb 24, 2014 at 8:29 AM ]

Tend to agree.

Have a feeling he might post one of the best 3 cone drills at the combine, showing good change of direction

He seems to allow the ball into his body allot, that always worrisome.
Share 49ersWebzone