LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

Eswyoung08 Pre-Combine Mock Draft 2014

Re-sign Boldin, Whitner, Dawson, Wilhoite, McCoy
IR: Easley, Millard, Colvin
PUP: Bowman
Cut: Rogers, Baldwin, Dahl

Enjoy!

1. Bradley Roby CB- "Fisical" and fast. A playmaker that would make this secondary dangerously fast and would pair nicely with Brock. He could compete with Cully for a starting spot or be given time to acclimate to the pros as a nickel defender.

2a+3b. Jarvis Landry WR- 3rd down machine, physical blocker with excellent sticky hands. Has an outstanding mentor in Boldin and can provide some optimism for the future if Crabtree leaves. He also has special teams experience and can be an asset there as well until he breaks into the starting lineup.

2b. Dominique Easley DT- A destructive force on the defensive line at Florida. Tomsula would bring out the absolute best this highly talented lineman has to offer. He would provide great rotational depth with Carradine when the cowboy eventually hangs up his hat.

3a. Jaylen Watkins CB- Probably not the Watkins you were hoping for. A scrappy player who plays with a chip on his shoulder. He would be excellent depth for our secondary and can play special teams.

4. Antone Exum S- A high upside replacement for Dahl who could play either safety position and special teams.

4b (Comp). Brett Smith QB- A dual threat QB well versed in performing in poor weather conditions. With a few years of development he could be a very capable and competent backup.

5. Aaron Colvin CB- A hybrid corner safety with a lot of passion for the game. Has a hard hitting mentality. He can be placed on IR to recover for a year so that he does not take up a roster spot.

6. Trey Millard FB- A multipurpose back who can recover on IR for a year before competing for a spot in the backfield or inline as a blocker.

7b+7c. Quincy Enunwa WR- An underrated, scary looking receiver (Takeo Spikes in WR form) who could add even more attitude and depth. He seems to do well as a run blocker and in the red zone. He has the makings of a S/T gunner.

7a. Shaquelle Evans WR- ST/KR/PR he is speedy but not thin. He has a lot of potential not only on special teams but as a downfield threat.

S: Reid, Whitner*, Spillman, Exum+, Ventrone (5)
CB: Brock, Cully, Roby+, Watkins+, Morris (5)
LB: Smith, Lemonier, Willis, Bowman, Brooks, Skuta, Wilhoite*, Moody (8)
DL: Smith, Carradine, TJE, Williams, Dorsey, McDonald, Dial (7)
QB: Kap, McCoy*, Smith+ (3)
RB: Gore, Lattimore, Hunter, LMJ (4)
FB: Miller (1)
TE: Davis, McDonald, Celek (3)
WR: Crabs, Patton, Boldin*, Landry+, Enunwa+, Evans+ (6)
OL: Staley, Davis, Iupati, Boone, Kilgore, Snyder, Looney, Marquardt (8)
S/T Lee, Dawson*, McDermott (3)

"*" - Re-signing
"+" - Draft Pick

I did not have us select an ILB because we have Wilhoite and Moody
I did not have us select a C/G because we have Snyder/Looney

If you have any questions/comments on how I can improve let me know.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Feb 16, 2014 at 6:44 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Is that CB Jaylen Watkins? pretty solid, I'm interested in seeing where Roby ends up being sleected. For how much I followed VaTech last year I completely gave up this year and haven't watched Exum but I kept seeing that he was taking his time recovering from his injury.
Nice mock
Originally posted by sfout:
Is that CB Jaylen Watkins? pretty solid, I'm interested in seeing where Roby ends up being sleected. For how much I followed VaTech last year I completely gave up this year and haven't watched Exum but I kept seeing that he was taking his time recovering from his injury.

Yes it is Jaylen, Sammy's brother. I'm going to add first names haha.
Roby is as athletically gifted as they come.
Exum is a monster when he has the field in front of him so I think he would do well at safety.
I'd be down with this.
No thanks on Roby in the 1st and not sure we spend three picks on WR.
Dont want Roby at all
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Abbrederis abused Roby..........don't want
You would actually re-sign Mccoy?
I think a trade up in the 1st round is much more likely than a trade up in second. I like the picks except for the QB in the forth.

Originally posted by theninermaniac:
I think a trade up in the 1st round is much more likely than a trade up in second. I like the picks except for the QB in the forth.

What's wrong with the QB in the 4th?
With the first pick there will be Grade AAA US Beef available. This team finds secondary in the later rounds. A wide receiver is too much of a risk with an early pick. If Patton and McDonald deliver, that high receiver sits the entire year.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
With the first pick there will be Grade AAA US Beef available. This team finds secondary in the later rounds. A wide receiver is too much of a risk with an early pick. If Patton and McDonald deliver, that high receiver sits the entire year.

Nothing wrong with going after a receiver early. They can rotate in immediately. Besides, when was the last season the 49ers didn't lose receivers to injury? Last year we lost Crabtree and Patton. The year before we lost Manningham. The lack of depth there has killed us.
Not really sure Roby is a 1st round pick. Most sites have him going mid to late 2nd round I have seen. That could change after the combine. You could probably trade back and still get him.

Don't like the Easley pick in round 2. Hasn't he suffered 2 serious knee injuries? He probably will drop further. Might be available in the 3rd or even the 4th round.
I love the 2nd round. Both of those guys have 1st round talent. I'm skeptical about Roby that early, but we've had success drafting DBs.
Share 49ersWebzone