There are 309 users in the forums

Pre Combine Mock Draft

Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Amaro isn't happening. We have No need for a TE. It would be a slap in the face to Vernon, who may restructure, and be extended this offseason, which isn't guaranteed, as Maiocco reported the team will try to stay away from restructures,

CB and WR are bigger needs IMO. CB being the biggest. I doubt Brown re-signs. I was told he was very unhappy with how his contract played out, with losing 2M. And he would test FA market. He will get plenty of calls, and may just price himself out of our price range.

Boldin IMO is a close signing, they are negotiating for a new multi year deal. Whitner I can see back.

But we can't sign everyone for 15M, then we need to sign our picks, then top 51 kicks off at beginning of september, meaning everyone counts against the cap. Not as easy as it seems. We had like 6M in cap room before september, and down to like 1M when season began, cause players 52-53, PUP, IR, NFI, and PS players also counted.

This
Originally posted by RumorHasIt:
Originally posted by T-9ers:
We can't even get enough touches to the tight ends we already have, why do we need another tight end?

In that logic why even draft a WR? How about just drafting all running backs and offensive lineman. Sprinkle in a few defensive players. We will just mash the hell out of people and never throw.

I think you were dropped on your head as a baby.
[ Edited by T-9ers on Feb 16, 2014 at 11:15 PM ]
No thanks! Your logic is flawed. We will not be able to sign all three Brown likely will most likely walk. Even if we sign Boldin, we need to about the future. Boldin will in all likely hood be signed to a two year deal. Crabs is not going to be resigned, because there is also Kaep and Aldon to think about. So you need to groom two receivers with patton hopefully being one of them. The last thing we need right now is a TE.

In Baalke's scheme of things, the niners don't put a premium on DT/NT. Also Baalke has no has no long history of drafting drafting CB (emphasis on long history). A lot of it. If you are using Culli he is but one example and whether or not he returns to form remains to be seen. If we don't resign Donte he may even be moved to safety. Unless they can't get a good CB and draft a safety instead. As was mentioned, I doubt that Carlos will be staying. If they can get a CB or two, hopefully we can trade Carlos to CB hungry team that is missing a piece for a pick next year.

I think you can get a Swiss army knife in the third or later rounds. No need wasting money and high pick who will see less time than a CB or safety depending on who gets signed. As for wr, it takes time to groom them. Even the GOAT struggled his first year with a guy named montana as his qb.
Originally posted by RumorHasIt:
Did you bother reading the first sentence? I said "assuming Boldin, Whitner and BROWN resign." That's the whole basis of this mock. I agree that Rogers is gone. With Brock-Brown-Culliver back in that scenario, a CB is not a pressing must have in the first. That's why I mocked Hampton in the third.

My whole problem is that your basically saying dont draft Amaro because we already have McDonald. Having McDonald is not going to make us pass on a TE. He is a great blocking back that would still be used in heavy sets (which we use a lot). Celek and Carrier are both depth to the core.

Drafting Amaro is pure BPA target that can help from day one. He plays all over the field and is a matchup nightmare.

I can get not liking the pick but its flawed logic to pass on a player because of perceived depth.

That is the big problem, we won't be signing all four (your forgot Dawson. If you think Brown won't command money-remember Dashon our former saftey? Safety's don't command as much as CB, whitner will get more than you think Boldin will get a lot. Dawson is a good kicker, look at how many games we would have lost if we got a person like Ackers 2nd season or even someone in between.

Sorry but TE is the last thing we NEED. Plus you are forgeting the biggest hurdle to signing them all- we need to try and extend Kaep, Aldon and Iupati even more than those. four lest we pay even bigger cap price when contract expires.

Carlos is gone, So CB is a need, Crabs is not going to be resigned. So you need to get someone to develope to pair with patton if he works out for the future. It take loneger to train a receiver. Even the GOAT, who saw the field in his first year and with a qb like montona didn 't explode on the seen., however if they can a deep threat wr who can st retch the field, it'll open the defense up. Still CB is even more important for a variety of reasons. You cannot assume Baalke with only thrree years at the helm just because of Culli, has a history of success. Spending draft pick and money on a third TE is not good managment.
We can use a numerous players. Obvious picks should be WR and CB. Less obvious, SS and C. My question is: what is our strength, what is our "claim to fame"? I would say, our front seven. W/o our defensive line, we are an average team. What is a current situation with regard to our DL? One can say, very good. However, I do not agree. First of all, J. Smith is 35. He is indispensable player in our system, everybody could see that last year. We have to think of his replacement NOW, not when that becomes urgent need. Further, R. McDonald is aging as well and Caradine (who I like extremely!) is still unproven. Therefore, we have to look at DE and DT positions. Fortunately, this year's draft looks good with that regard. I Believe that we can trade up a bit (our own No. 30 and, say, No. 77 or No. 94 in third) and pick S. Tuitt. He is the only player I can envision as a replacement for J. Smith. Position that J. Smith plays is not only physically demanding, but it requires a great deal of sacrifice and unselfishness (a great effort, low glory - glory belongs to pass rusher, A. Smith on our team!). Not everybody can play it, regardless of physical ability. Another possibility would be R. Hageman, but I am not sure about his willingness to sacrifice himself. In addition, A. Smith is, possibly, facing some serious problems off the field. He is our second most important player. Thow We saw that C. Lemonier is a very good, promising young player, I would draft D. Easly with No.61 and "redshirt" him for the next year. With regard to WR, I do agree with some people who think that we are all set up at WR with Crabtree, Boldin (assuming we re-sign him) and Patton. However, we can pick a big WR later (Moncrief, Bryant, Coleman). None of WR is a "sure thing" except Watkins and, maybe, Evans and there is no sence in drafting a WR high. Similar situation is with CB, none is a "sure thing", not even Gilbert or Denard. On the other hand, there are some promising players (Jean-Baptiste, Desir, Purifoy, Mitchell, McGill, Hampton) that can be drafted later, in 3-4. I performed some simulations at Fanspeak and I got some drafts that I liked a great deal. For example: No. 30 - DT S. Tuitt (this, probably, cannot work, we have to trade up for him); No. 55 - CB Purifoy; No. 61 - DE Easly; No. 77 - C Richburg (or SS Bucanon, if we don't re-sign Whitner); No. 94 - WR Bryant (or WR Moncrief); No. 125 - CB Desir; No. 158 - DE Mauro (obviously, I like DL!); No. 189 CB Colvin; No. 219 - Returner Archer; No. 220 - QB Mathews; and No. 222 - TE Lyerla (everybody deserves a second chance). I did not forget a compensatory pick, it can be used instead of pick that was given up for trading up for Tuitt.
Don't want to spend a 1st round pick at TE let alone a 1st and 4th. He might be good in the red zone but we have good receivers in the redzone. Boldin is great. Crabtree is pretty good and Davis is great. We just don't do a good job of getting them the ball.

Not sure about an OLB in the 4th. We have the 2 best starters in the NFL, a promising Lemonier and Skuta who played very well backing them up.

Don't think Colvin will last till the end of the 7th round.

Remember when talking about resigning players and the cap we have to find a ton of cap room to resign Kap ,not to mention Crabtree. We simply can't resign them all.
Agree with most everyone here. Trading up for a TE is not the way to go for the Niners.
There are lots of different opinions WRT what "BPA" means for the Niners. Don't let McDonald's rookie season convince you he's not going to be a playmaker for us. His weakness was blocking, because he wasn't asked to do it much at Rice. The coaches worked with him to improve that aspect of his game...by season's end, he improved a ton. I look for Vance to emerge as the receiving TE he showed in college. He's got the whole package now...let's also not forget Vernon caught 20 passes his rookie season, and wasn't a very good blocker, either.

My idea of BPA is Stephon Tuitt...some would be quick to say, "we don't need another DL". Really? Tank Carradine was drafted last year to potentially replace Justin Smith. Why not grab the best 5-technique player in this draft...Ray Mac's not going to play forever, either. Remember, defense is the pillar of our team, like it or not. Think back to the Giants just a few years ago...they won two SB's in large part because they had a talented and deep DL. They just kept coming at you, and eventually wore many teams down. How often do 6-6, 320 lb DL's with extraordinary quickness come along...not very often. Both Dorsey and Ian Williams are in the last year of their contracts...Tuitt's got the size and strength to also play NT. When you look at all these factors, grabbing a guy like Tuitt makes a lot of sense.

I think it'd be very tough to re-sign Bolding, Whitner, Brown and you can't forget Dawson. Why would Whitner want to sign for 2-yrs...this is arguably his best opportunity for a sizeable contract, given he's 29. Brown will likely want starting CB money...Baalke will want to pay him nickel money, as that's where he'd likely play if re-signed. Another option is to sign rising CB Nolan Carroll, who shouldn't be expensive. He's 6-1, 205, adding some much needed size at the position.

As for your draft:

Again, I wouldn't give up those picks for Amaro.

A word of caution WRT Adams...yes, he put up ridiculous numbers at Fresno St. The MWC isn't known for defense...it's very much an offense-oriented conference. Not saying he wouldn't be a good pick, just realize where he played.

Love the Bucannon pick...one of the most well-rounded S in this draft.

Why not go for one of the big CB's, McGill or Jean-Baptiste. Hampton's 5-10, so you're not adding meaningful size.

Not sure Herron's a 3rd rd pick. Like his game, though.

I like Thomas as a KR and Colvin's a good redshirt CB. Would much rather take Fales over Boyd. Have to be 4th rd pick, most likely, though.
I rarely do this but I litterally stopped after seeing TE. If our first pick isn't a WR or CB, then we didn't draft for need.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
There are lots of different opinions WRT what "BPA" means for the Niners. Don't let McDonald's rookie season convince you he's not going to be a playmaker for us. His weakness was blocking, because he wasn't asked to do it much at Rice. The coaches worked with him to improve that aspect of his game...by season's end, he improved a ton. I look for Vance to emerge as the receiving TE he showed in college. He's got the whole package now...let's also not forget Vernon caught 20 passes his rookie season, and wasn't a very good blocker, either.

My idea of BPA is Stephon Tuitt...some would be quick to say, "we don't need another DL". Really? Tank Carradine was drafted last year to potentially replace Justin Smith. Why not grab the best 5-technique player in this draft...Ray Mac's not going to play forever, either. Remember, defense is the pillar of our team, like it or not. Think back to the Giants just a few years ago...they won two SB's in large part because they had a talented and deep DL. They just kept coming at you, and eventually wore many teams down. How often do 6-6, 320 lb DL's with extraordinary quickness come along...not very often. Both Dorsey and Ian Williams are in the last year of their contracts...Tuitt's got the size and strength to also play NT. When you look at all these factors, grabbing a guy like Tuitt makes a lot of sense.

I think it'd be very tough to re-sign Bolding, Whitner, Brown and you can't forget Dawson. Why would Whitner want to sign for 2-yrs...this is arguably his best opportunity for a sizeable contract, given he's 29. Brown will likely want starting CB money...Baalke will want to pay him nickel money, as that's where he'd likely play if re-signed. Another option is to sign rising CB Nolan Carroll, who shouldn't be expensive. He's 6-1, 205, adding some much needed size at the position.

As for your draft:

Again, I wouldn't give up those picks for Amaro.

A word of caution WRT Adams...yes, he put up ridiculous numbers at Fresno St. The MWC isn't known for defense...it's very much an offense-oriented conference. Not saying he wouldn't be a good pick, just realize where he played.

Love the Bucannon pick...one of the most well-rounded S in this draft.

Why not go for one of the big CB's, McGill or Jean-Baptiste. Hampton's 5-10, so you're not adding meaningful size.

Not sure Herron's a 3rd rd pick. Like his game, though.

I like Thomas as a KR and Colvin's a good redshirt CB. Would much rather take Fales over Boyd. Have to be 4th rd pick, most likely, though.
Like the idea of taking Tuitt with our 1st pick though I think he goes early 20's. I would rather play him at DE and resign Dorsey or have Dial take over NT.

With Tuitt, Easly and Mauro, we have a great deal of flexibility. When we add Caradine, Lemonier and Dial, we are in an excellent shape with regard to front seven. And I am sure that we can pick some good talent later, in third and fourth round - some big WR (Moncrief, Bryant, Colins) and some good (and big!) CB (Desir, Jean-Baptiste, McGill). If necessary, we can draft SS (Bucanon, Dixon, Loston) and C (Swanson, Richburg) in second and third. And, if we can get CB Colvin and TE Lyerla in late rounds, we are in an excellent shape.
If necessary, we should trade up to early twenties, in order to draft Tuitt. He is the only player that is worth a first round pick. Of course, I am talking about a realistic pick; obviously, I would love to draft Clowny or Watkins. But, that's about it - after two of them, I would like Tuitt!
No way. McDonald was taken in the 2nd for a reason. He will get another year to prove himself as a receiver. Amaro would be a STUPID pick.
Share 49ersWebzone