There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why we shouldn't draft a WR in the 1st round

Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Brock was bumped by Eric Wright at time this year because of inconsistent play. He's good, but not great. Culliver's body of work is limited, but he also looked suspect in pass coverage at times during his rookie season. Granted it was his first year, still his development has been stunted by injury, which makes him a gamble.

Right now, I'd take these guys over Donte Whitner:

Earl Thomas
Eric Berry
Kam Chancellor
Jarius Byrd
T.J. Ward
Devin McCourty
Eric Weddle
Kenny Vaccaro
Mark Barron
Harrison Smith

There may be others as well, but this is off the top of my head.

I like Whitner, but I don't think the 49ers should re-sign him. The fact that re-signing Whitner is debatable tells you something about his value.

Brock was bumped by Wright?? haha. Wright played in all of 7 regular season games and was left out of game planning heading into the final weeks of the season and into the playoffs because the coaches were upset with his preparation. This per multiple beat writers -- I have no idea where you are getting your info but Brock was consistent all year and if he missed snaps it was because he was getting a break. I'm pumped that Wright got to play for his childhood team but Brock had his starting job on lockdown from week 3 on, Wright won't be back unless he is happy being a #4 CB.

Brock was easily our best CB, Brown #2 maybe even 1b but he got called for far too many penalties.

Look man, you have your opinion but back them up with facts, don't just say "he's bad or won't be a pro bowler"

I'd take most of that list over Whitner too but guess what. They are either under contract or will cost $8 mill per year or more. Like I said already we don't throw money like that at outsiders.

That list is like saying "I'd rather have Calvin Johnson rather than Boldin/Crabtree" or "AP rather than Gore"...... it just won't happen.

It was solid in 2013? Was that right up until he gave up that ridiculous bomb against Seattle?

Whitner is a !ucking joke in coverage.
Originally posted by Rgonelove:
1.Whitney played very good last season in run support and coverage why you wouldn't want him back is beyond me.
I think balked will find a way to bring whitner back.
2. No one that we draft is gonna start
3. Do whatever needs to be done to move up for
M. Evans or K. Benjamin, both players are exceptional either one could get some playing time in year one

1. It's not a question of wanting him on the team and keeping him. Of course we want and would prefer that but it's a question of economics. Everyone wants to be paid but unfortunately we can't afford to pay everyone. The FO sees Boldin as the bigger priority to resign and I think Whitner sees the writing on the wall.
2. Can't be too sure of that. What will likely happen is we'll draft a SS in the higher rounds and sign a FA SS vet and have them compete for the starting position.
3. Neither Evans and especially not Benjamin are worth trading the farm for. Gimme Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews, OJB or Landry any day.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Feb 18, 2014 at 6:45 AM ]
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Chris Culliver
Colin Jones
Marcus Cooper
Trenton Robinson
Eric Reid

Mind you, three of those guys are no longer on the team (that has more to do with other factors) BUT that doesn't mean this organization hasn't tried to add depth on the back-end. I'm not against the idea of taking a DB in the 1st Round, I just don't think there's anyone worth selecting unless we trade up very high to get Justin Gilbert. Every other DB in this draft IMO grades out as a late-1st Rounder or lower.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I'd rather draft a replacement for Whitner. As far as a receiver we need one to rotate with Patton.

This

we don't need to go 1st round for a WR , Boldin will probably come back, Crabs is healthy, and Patton will be ready to rock ...we could easily find a talented wideout with one of our 2nd or 3rd round picks, we have two of each right? ...we have options, no need to sell the farm and trade away picks for a player that's not guaranteed to be an impact player .....draft wisely and strengthen the roster, a lot of teams would kill to be in our position
I agree. The O will continue to Grow.

I think our biggest need is Corner and D-Line. We need to get to the QB more often. 2 ways to do that, get better on the line, or get better on the outside to give the line more time to get to the QB.

Good post!

D
On the topic of WR's, it's nice to know there is some serious SIZE out there for us:

Kelvin Benjamin Florida State 6-5, 234
Mike Evans Texas A&M 6-5, 225
Donte Moncrief Ole Miss 6-3, 226

(Videos of each inside from Cosell) Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/02/think-big-a-ranking-of-wrs-who-fit-49ers-physical-style.html#storylink=cpy

On the flip side, we have Crabtree (healthy), Boldin and VD who receive around 75% of the passes in this offense. As much as I would love to have some youth, speed, size, athleticism, talent with these guys (for a year or two down the road to replace either Crabtree or Boldin) what we need RIGHT NOW is a Manningham-like player. Manningham is a guy who "had" excellent burst and shakeability off the LOS. He was incredibel as creating space and separation in very tight quarters (esp. the RZ) and was an excellent route runner. Like Jerry Rice said, you win or lose within your first one or two steps off the LOS. Period. We have VD, Crabtree and Boldin...none of these guys are electric at the snap and at the LOS but very good once they get going (Crabtree in RAC, VD in seperation speed and Boldin in body control and positioning - all three have excellent hands).

Now, is Patton in this mold? It's hard to say b/c he's had so few AR or primary read targets. So if we're looking to get better down the road, we should go with the players listed above BUT if we want to improve next year, we may need to get a Manningham-like player later in the draft (ideally if he can double as a #3 WR/Returner).

Thought?

PS: Also, don't expect a top first round WR draft pick to get many, if any looks next year with Crabtree, Boldin and VD on the field. It was recently shown that we rarely run 3 or 4+ WR sets. So lower your expectations BIG TIME!
Originally posted by NCommand:
On the topic of WR's, it's nice to know there is some serious SIZE out there for us:

Kelvin Benjamin Florida State 6-5, 234
Mike Evans Texas A&M 6-5, 225
Donte Moncrief Ole Miss 6-3, 226

(Videos of each inside from Cosell) Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/02/think-big-a-ranking-of-wrs-who-fit-49ers-physical-style.html#storylink=cpy

On the flip side, we have Crabtree (healthy), Boldin and VD who receive around 75% of the passes in this offense. As much as I would love to have some youth, speed, size, athleticism, talent with these guys (for a year or two down the road to replace either Crabtree or Boldin) what we need RIGHT NOW is a Manningham-like player. Manningham is a guy who "had" excellent burst and shakeability off the LOS. He was incredibel as creating space and separation in very tight quarters (esp. the RZ) and was an excellent route runner. Like Jerry Rice said, you win or lose within your first one or two steps off the LOS. Period. We have VD, Crabtree and Boldin...none of these guys are electric at the snap and at the LOS but very good once they get going (Crabtree in RAC, VD in seperation speed and Boldin in body control and positioning - all three have excellent hands).

Now, is Patton in this mold? It's hard to say b/c he's had so few AR or primary read targets. So if we're looking to get better down the road, we should go with the players listed above BUT if we want to improve next year, we may need to get a Manningham-like player later in the draft (ideally if he can double as a #3 WR/Returner).

Thought?

PS: Also, don't expect a top first round WR draft pick to get many, if any looks next year with Crabtree, Boldin and VD on the field. It was recently shown that we rarely run 3 or 4+ WR sets. So lower your expectations BIG TIME!

With that said, shouldn't we draft for talent we can develop instead of using a 1st round pick for a guy to ride the pine?
Originally posted by Buchy:
My main hope is Brandon Cooks in the second, even if we have to trade up a bit as we cannot rely on VD alone to stretch the field, as a TE he's rarely going to get a free release. I'd like us to take Kelvin Benjamin as well if possible but I think he will go in the first or early second and I think we are likely to be looking at a cornerback there.

We're in an awkward position in our secondary in all honesty. Whitner has had his best season for us but I still don't trust him in coverage as much as I should and he also draws a lot of personal fouls, even though they are legal hits and undeserved.

The problem we have is that we don't know if Cully will fully recover from his ACL, there's still that possibility that he doesn't. Rogers is going to cost us too much and is frankly a liability in coverage. He won't get beat deep but he leaves such a cushion that we let a lot of 3rd down conversions through this season at his position due to the cushion he leaves.

I can't see us re-signing T Brown either because I think if he had a future with us then an extension would have been signed when they were discussion over the £2m escalator payment he missed from failing to show to pre-season workouts.

So in short I think we will likely move up to the most pro-ready SS or CB in the first round that is in reach, and 2nd round will look to add a deep threat WR. If Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin falls in the draft then I could see us potenitally moving up for them in the 1st round and moving up in the second for SS/CB.

The combine could obviously change everything in terms of the draft rankings.

Great post!
Originally posted by D_Niner:
With that said, shouldn't we draft for talent we can develop instead of using a 1st round pick for a guy to ride the pine?

That's the big question. Do we go with a top tier talent like Kelvin Benjamin, Mike Evans or Donte Moncrief in the first round to red-shirt like Patton and get a few looks here and there this year and be ready to replace Boldin in a year or two or get a Manningham-like WR who also has return abilities who is better than Patton (with more upside) and who would contribute today and throughout the years to compliment Boldin, Crabtree and VD? Maybe we can get both? And a FS/SS to start or groom behind Whitner? Can we do it all...star Center?

Don't rule out FA either!
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 18, 2014 at 8:46 AM ]
Benja min and Evans will be gone before we pick most likely, Moncrief might still be there, and if he is, we should take him in the second. I think he is going to be a baller.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Don't sleep on Cody Hoffman out of BYU.......
We SHOULD draft a WR because there are more free agent corners than WR that would make an impact on our team.
Maybe this is just my take, but the difference between college ball and pro ball for a corner is a lot harder than that for a WR.

I want us to draft somebody who is ready to be a playmaker day 1. My money lies on Benjamin, Robinson, Watkins, and Beckham.
We need to have somebody who compliments Davis well, a big red zone threat/vertical threat. We cannot afford for him to have a no show game again like he did in the NFC game.
I feel our defense is 1 experienced corner away from shutting down any offense in the NFL (including Seattle's).
I don't want that person to be a rookie.