RD 3: CB STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE
RD 3: WR MARTAVIS BRYANT
RD 4: QB DAVID FALES
RD 5: DE JOSH MAURO
RD 6: PR/KR DRI ARCHER
RD 7: G SPENCER LONG PUP LIST
RD 7: FB TREY MILLARD PUP LIST
RD 7: TRADE FOR 2015 6TH ROUND PICK

This is pre-combine and rankings will change during the off season but a draft like this could help position the 49ers for years to come.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
RD 1: WR ODELLE BECKHAM JR.
Ok

RD 2: CB KYLE FULLER
Ok. However, I'd rather pick Joyner if he is available here.

RD 2: C WESTON RICHBURG
Ok.

RD 3: S AHMAD DIXON
Why not Buccanon or Loston instead? almost ok though given that he you fill a need.

Ok.

If Boldin and Crabtree stay, I would be very ok with this pick. If one of them leaves, I'd rather go for a more pro-ready guy like Moncrief who could be available here if the scouts don't do their job.

I prefer Aaron Murray but I wouldn't hate him.

Why not-
Originally posted by communist:
Ok

Ok. However, I'd rather pick Joyner if he is available here.

Ok.

Why not Buccanon or Loston instead? almost ok though given that he you fill a need.

Ok.

If Boldin and Crabtree stay, I would be very ok with this pick. If one of them leaves, I'd rather go for a more pro-ready guy like Moncrief who could be available here if the scouts don't do their job.

I prefer Aaron Murray but I wouldn't hate him.

Why not-

I didn't think Joyner or Buccanon would be available at those picks but it would be nice. I like the Bryant pick as someone who could develop. If Boldin is retained Bryant would be our 5th receiver and we could work him in over time.
I like it...would maybe rather have jimmy ward than Dixon if available, but it's a real nice draft. I also find myself favoring Landry over Beckham, but he doesn't really return, which is a need.
I'm ok with this without knowing who else was available when picks were made.
No on Richburg in the 2nd.
I like the Mock. If we could land those first 6 players where they are at, I'd be happy.

Philosophically/Strategically, I think of the 49ers team devised in 3 parts

1.) 53 man roster-
2.) Practice squad- PLAYERS CAN BE SIGNED AT ANY TIME, BY ANY TEAM
3.) NFI/PUP list- PLAYERS ARE THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS OF THE 49ERS, CANNOT BE SIGNED BY ANY OTHER TEAM
* Right now, 49ers have zero players on NFI list (injured in college)
* 49ers need to take advantage of the roster spots and fill it up the NFI list.

I would rather take adavantage of the NFI list: and draft Injured QB Aaron Murray or Zach Mettenberger.

I like I just think the 49ers need an experienced cheap back-up QB and would rather have them draft Aaron Murray or Mettenberger. I really subscribe to the Bill Walsh philosophy of QB development. Guys like Steve Young, Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac spent years as a back-up QB and that gradual growth served them well.

Not a bad player, but once again, I would fill out the NFI list and draft CB Aaron Colvin

Not a bad player, but I would prefer a 2 way player, I guy who could also play WR and has great coverage on Kickoff/Punt Units.
WR: Geremy Gallon is a guy flying under the radar. Or once again, I wold go NFI list player and draft Safety Nickoe Whitley or Vinny Sunseri

This is pre-combine and rankings will change during the off season but a draft like this could help position the 49ers for years to come.

Another way to look at NFI list players are as 4th/5th round picks next year as some of these players are rates as such or higher, but just injured. In addition as opposed to a rookie, these guys will come in next year knowing what to expect and what it takes to reach that elite level.
This is a mock I could get on board with! Mostly cause you have 3 of my draft crushes plus a couple others I think could develop into studs! I hope the draft works out to look something like this!
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
I like the Mock. If we could land those first 6 players where they are at, I'd be happy.

Philosophically/Strategically, I think of the 49ers team devised in 3 parts

1.) 53 man roster-
2.) Practice squad- PLAYERS CAN BE SIGNED AT ANY TIME, BY ANY TEAM
3.) NFI/PUP list- PLAYERS ARE THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS OF THE 49ERS, CANNOT BE SIGNED BY ANY OTHER TEAM
* Right now, 49ers have zero players on NFI list (injured in college)
* 49ers need to take advantage of the roster spots and fill it up the NFI list.

I would rather take adavantage of the NFI list: and draft Injured QB Aaron Murray or Zach Mettenberger.

I like I just think the 49ers need an experienced cheap back-up QB and would rather have them draft Aaron Murray or Mettenberger. I really subscribe to the Bill Walsh philosophy of QB development. Guys like Steve Young, Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac spent years as a back-up QB and that gradual growth served them well.

Not a bad player, but once again, I would fill out the NFI list and draft CB Aaron Colvin

Not a bad player, but I would prefer a 2 way player, I guy who could also play WR and has great coverage on Kickoff/Punt Units.
WR: Geremy Gallon is a guy flying under the radar. Or once again, I wold go NFI list player and draft Safety Nickoe Whitley or Vinny Sunseri

Another way to look at NFI list players are as 4th/5th round picks next year as some of these players are rates as such or higher, but just injured. In addition as opposed to a rookie, these guys will come in next year knowing what to expect and what it takes to reach that elite level.

The reason I have Fales over Murray is because I am not sure Murray could play right away and we need a back up ready to go day 1. Last year we lost a trip to the superbowl by 1 win during the regular season. 1 more win we take the division and we are the #1 seed with a bye week and home field advantage. If we were to draft Murray we would need to sign a veteran QB for the season. The only reason to take a QB early is to save the cap space because if they are any good they won't be around in 4 years.

As far as guys like Steve Young, Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac are concerned remember: There was no cap so they could pay top dollar for back ups. Young would have been gone if we didn't make him the starter and that won't happen here with Kap just coming in to his prime. Grbac I believe was an 8th round pick and they only took him because they never expected him to still be there. I believe Carmen Policy was given the choice of making the last pick back then. Grbac left when his contract was up.

As for the 5th round pick Josh Mauro, my back up plan if he was no longer available was to pick Aaron Colvin and if he made it to the 6th round I would draft him there and hope Dri Archer was still available in the 7th. Not really worried about my returner being a WR because after drafting 2 we would be 5 deep at the position and he would never see the field anyway.

Great draft and realistic. I have many of these in my draft. Only issue is, I think Harbaugh will reward Kilgore or Looney with the Center position. I don't see us drafting a center that high.

Originally posted by 60sFan:

Great draft and realistic. I have many of these in my draft. Only issue is, I think Harbaugh will reward Kilgore or Looney with the Center position. I don't see us drafting a center that high.

That's just 1 of the things we don't know yet. Does Harbaugh want to start Kilgore or would he want a potential upgrade? If not we could always use that pick for a Guard or a DE. It assumes he would want to go for an upgrade but we really don't know. We will find out in May. We also don't know if Whitner or Boldin will be back or if the team wants a veteran or rookie back up QB. Will Iupati be gone next year or do we have a shot to resign him?
The reason I have Fales over Murray is because I am not sure Murray could play right away and we need a back up ready to go day 1. Last year we lost a trip to the superbowl by 1 win during the regular season. 1 more win we take the division and we are the #1 seed with a bye week and home field advantage. If we were to draft Murray we would need to sign a veteran QB for the season. The only reason to take a QB early is to save the cap space because if they are any good they won't be around in 4 years.

I'm confused by your reasoning? Initially you claim a need for a solid back-up whose ready to play from day 1 due to the competitiveness in the division and then claim the only reason to draft a rookie QB is to save cap $. So what is more valuable; a ready to go QB (which to me is a veteran) or the cap space (draft a rookie as back-up QB)? In my opinion both are important, but just want to know which one you value more the veteran QB who can win games if Kaepernick is injured or a gamble on a rookie QB that he can win a game or two if Kaepernick is injured and has a low salary.

IMHO the ready to go veteran back-up QB does not have to be expensive. Rex Grossman made less than $1 million a year last year.

Rookie QB's drafted in the 4th- 7th rounds are HUGE gambles. Yes their cheap, but I would rather go with a proven veteran who knows their role and has playoff experience over a rookie QB just getting their feet wet. I think the 49ers can draft a couple of QB's an injured Aaron Murray in the 4th/5th and a developmental QB in the 7th, but definitely necessary to sign a veteran QB as the primary back-up because I'd trust a veteran over a mid-late round rookie QB.
Originally posted by 60sFan:

That's just 1 of the things we don't know yet. Does Harbaugh want to start Kilgore or would he want a potential upgrade? If not we could always use that pick for a Guard or a DE. It assumes he would want to go for an upgrade but we really don't know. We will find out in May. We also don't know if Whitner or Boldin will be back or if the team wants a veteran or rookie back up QB. Will Iupati be gone next year or do we have a shot to resign him?

Whether we keep Whitner, Boldin, Iupati or not, I like these picks either way.
SJB will not be there that late in the third, he's gained to much momentum and being compared to Sherman put him in the second round easily. Maybe switch him with Richburgs spot and get Stork or Martin at C in the third
Good mock
Share 49ersWebzone