LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

Kelvin Benjamin Souting Report

Originally posted by jimrat:
Dudes gonna be a huge bust

Based on? I'm not saying he can't be, but what are the red flags that worry you so much? The talent is so overwhelming
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I really like Big, fast WR.

However, as stated by so many, our WR coaching has proved they can't do the job. Our play calling can be depressing.

This is a JH offense, run first. So, I'm leery of any WR being a big producer or difference maker.

That said, there's also hope.

With Crabtree, Patton, and Boldin (assuming he resigns), we will get a MUCH bigger impact out of a quality #2 TE that Kap and the coaches trust and can be used to create mismatches and big plays than any WR we might draft this year. Whether Vance develops or that means drafting another one, JH and TB must decide. We need to draft WRs this year as Crabtree (leaving for bigger $$) and Boldin (getting old) insurance for 2015 and beyond, IMHO.
Bulk his ass up and turn him into a TE
Originally posted by Since07:
Bulk his ass up and turn him into a TE

as a TE he loses what makes him special. He's a good sized TE, but an enormous WR.
Can anyone give me a snap shot of the differences between Benjamin and Brandon Coleman?
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by jimrat:
Dudes gonna be a huge bust

Based on? I'm not saying he can't be, but what are the red flags that worry you so much? The talent is so overwhelming

I was a little harsh, good player, I just think Benjamin is overrated. I would pick other WR's before him.
I would pick these guys before Benjamin.
Watkins
Evans
Lee
Landry
Adams
Robinson
Cooks
Benjamin
[ Edited by jimrat on Feb 16, 2014 at 7:34 PM ]
I just watched Benjamin highlights from the Florida, NC State, and Boston College games (not just Youtube highlights). Benjamin had some great eye-popping catches. He also had some great blocks in the run game. BUT...he had some terrible drops, several which resulted in really bad turn-overs. I think Benjamin could be really special, but he's going to need some time to develop his game. His attention lapses could be a real killer during a tight game.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
i can't stomach a starting wr without very good hands.
Originally posted by xcfan:

Well thankfully we will have Crabtree and perhaps Boldin. He won't have to start but he will have great mentoring
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
I think that ties into his blocking issues too, just get's lazy, same with his drop problems. All because he is lazy doesn't focus enough. He's got a lot of talent, will demand double teams, but it's his work ethic, desire and focus that worries me.

Agree with this. And with the way we develop WR's and the way we use our WR's this has bust written all over with us. Not saying another team but with us. We don't exactly go out of our way to get WR's involved and you will see us ignore our players for much of the game. Even guys like VD some games we won't attempt to get him the ball. It's like we are ok if a player gets taken out of the game or if we take them out of the game. Some guys need to get fed early and often to keep them in the game. Feed them early they can go for 100+ yards, feed them once and don't go out of your way to keep feeding them they will get 1 or 2 catches on the day and half ass blocking and everything else because of it. This is one reason I like a Landry or Abbrederis type because with our WR coaching, Roman and Kap we need guys who don't need to be coached up a lot and can come in and just produce. These guys will come in and block well which we expect. These guys have the heart. I'm not sure Benjamin has it or cares enough to be a star. He is boom or bust to me. If he goes to the right team, gets in better shape, starts trying harder he can be a super star. He goes to a team that doesn't use him enough, doesnt have the right coaches, doesnt have the right players around him, the right QB he busts. Maybe Landry and Abbrederis don't have star potential but the way we develop WRs we just need to hit even if it's a good solid #2 or 3 at their peak and not a super star. It's a question of do we want to go boom or bust with WR. Someone who could put us over the top or put us right back where we are, or do we want to go safe and get a solid hit with less potential.

Same goes for a guy with Cooks; we haven't shown the ability to use James in the right way would we use Cooks the right way? You have to find ways to get guys like that the ball in open space. Some times you have to force it but having a guy who can take it to the house every play helps. And Rollin, great job on a scouting report. This is how they should all be done. I'd have no problem with you doing more on WR's or CB's and starting a new thread even if there is a thread on them already. To me it's worthy of a new thread. That or just use this thread and list a bunch of scouting reports.

This is the MAIN reason I don't want us drafting some of the raw, but nonetheless talented prospects out there. I have no issue with doing this at defensive line, linebacker, DB (notice this is all on the defensive side of the ball), because we have seen the coaching staff's ability to raise the level of players at those position, but at receiver, we are terrible at turning raw talent into a polished product.

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
I think that ties into his blocking issues too, just get's lazy, same with his drop problems. All because he is lazy doesn't focus enough. He's got a lot of talent, will demand double teams, but it's his work ethic, desire and focus that worries me.

Agree with this. And with the way we develop WR's and the way we use our WR's this has bust written all over with us. Not saying another team but with us. We don't exactly go out of our way to get WR's involved and you will see us ignore our players for much of the game. Even guys like VD some games we won't attempt to get him the ball. It's like we are ok if a player gets taken out of the game or if we take them out of the game. Some guys need to get fed early and often to keep them in the game. Feed them early they can go for 100+ yards, feed them once and don't go out of your way to keep feeding them they will get 1 or 2 catches on the day and half ass blocking and everything else because of it. This is one reason I like a Landry or Abbrederis type because with our WR coaching, Roman and Kap we need guys who don't need to be coached up a lot and can come in and just produce. These guys will come in and block well which we expect. These guys have the heart. I'm not sure Benjamin has it or cares enough to be a star. He is boom or bust to me. If he goes to the right team, gets in better shape, starts trying harder he can be a super star. He goes to a team that doesn't use him enough, doesnt have the right coaches, doesnt have the right players around him, the right QB he busts. Maybe Landry and Abbrederis don't have star potential but the way we develop WRs we just need to hit even if it's a good solid #2 or 3 at their peak and not a super star. It's a question of do we want to go boom or bust with WR. Someone who could put us over the top or put us right back where we are, or do we want to go safe and get a solid hit with less potential.

Same goes for a guy with Cooks; we haven't shown the ability to use James in the right way would we use Cooks the right way? You have to find ways to get guys like that the ball in open space. Some times you have to force it but having a guy who can take it to the house every play helps. And Rollin, great job on a scouting report. This is how they should all be done. I'd have no problem with you doing more on WR's or CB's and starting a new thread even if there is a thread on them already. To me it's worthy of a new thread. That or just use this thread and list a bunch of scouting reports.

This is the MAIN reason I don't want us drafting some of the raw, but nonetheless talented prospects out there. I have no issue with doing this at defensive line, linebacker, DB (notice this is all on the defensive side of the ball), because we have seen the coaching staff's ability to raise the level of players at those position, but at receiver, we are terrible at turning raw talent into a polished product.

Isn't this the group that made Crabtree the player he is? Didn't Boldin have his best season in years with us? Who is this based on? AJ and Kyle Williams?

Now that's some impressive tape against Florida. He was getting a lot of separation and just flat out burning Purifoy who has 4.3 speed.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Now that's some impressive tape against Florida. He was getting a lot of separation and just flat out burning Purifoy who has 4.3 speed.

The talent is there, size, speed, athleticism. Very raw, high reward high risk with this kid. His style of play reminds me of Randy Moss to be honest gets lazy when he's not the focus. I think he be a great fit for a team like the pats, packers that really love to throw the rock around and the coaching staff keeps the players focused. Would I love this kid sure think he's a rare talent, and we need that at wr. It does have a lot to do with colin though whoever we draft will colin trust him enough to throw the damn ball in his direction.
Biggest boom or bust prospect in this draft not named clowney or manziel. Not a big fan of this guy cause he could be a virtual clone of Baldwin, but that potential is pretty damn high. Won't be too mad if we draft him, unless of course we have a chance to draft Lee then I will rage.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by xcfan:

Well thankfully we will have Crabtree and perhaps Boldin. He won't have to start but he will have great mentoring

Drops are part of the game, so long as a guy can also make big plays. I think we'd be surprised to see who the league leaders are in drops and how they often make up for it:

League leader in drops by year:

2013 - Brandon Marshall (12)
2012 - Jimmy Graham (14)
2011 - Roddy White (14)
2010 - Wes Welker (13)

The % of drops based on number of throw targeted for these guys is anywhere from 7%-10%. That's a lot of dropped passes by percentage, but these guys are playmakers and find ways to make up for it. Hell, Delanie's last year here he dropped around 20% of the passes thrown his way and still found a team that was willing to give him a s**t ton of money....because he's a playmaker.
Share 49ersWebzone