There are 269 users in the forums

Kelvin Benjamin Souting Report

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Thanks!

Here are some Baldwin highlights from Pitt.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Poor comparison. Baldwin didn't show any of the RAC ability or explosion that Benjamin has shown.

Plus, I bet the metrics show a relatively low drop rate for Benjamin. Granted Baldwin has never really had problems with drops either, aside from some comments from Andy Reid regarding supposed drops in camp. Baldwin's problem is an inability to separate. Benjamin has no such problem.

About a 9% drop rate. Compare that with around 2% for Jarvis Landry.

Let's draft both and a later round speedster!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Let's draft both and a later round speedster!

Thumbs up to that plan.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Dudes gonna be a huge bust
Coaches at FSU have all spoken very highly of him. Jimbo Fisher has repeatedly gone out of his way to single him out for his effort and desire to improve.

Baldwin was a go-to guy, but he was essentially a jump-ball receiver. He never showed the separation or RAC ability that Benjamin has shown.

Are you just making up crap?

Here is a scouting reports on Baldwin;

"Strong runner after the catch that breaks arm tackles and flashes a vicious stiff arm. Fearless over the middle."

"Strengths:
Prototypical size and length
Focuses and doesn't drop many passes
Great body control and athleticism
Knows how to use frame and shield corners
Attacks ball at its apex
Terrific hands and plucks the football
Reliable and consistent
Red zone terror Physical runner; doesn't go down easy Fearless over the middle Gets a lot of Y.A.C.
Nice hand-eye coordination
Shows awareness as a receiver
Long strider
No. 1 receiver potential at next level
Elite catch radius
Good run blocker "
Is it just me or does this guy scream Mike Williams coming out of USC a few years ago? Let Pete Carroll draft him.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Are you just making up crap?

Here is a scouting reports on Baldwin;

"Strong runner after the catch that breaks arm tackles and flashes a vicious stiff arm. Fearless over the middle."

"Strengths:
Prototypical size and length
Focuses and doesn't drop many passes
Great body control and athleticism
Knows how to use frame and shield corners
Attacks ball at its apex
Terrific hands and plucks the football
Reliable and consistent
Red zone terror Physical runner; doesn't go down easy Fearless over the middle Gets a lot of Y.A.C.
Nice hand-eye coordination
Shows awareness as a receiver
Long strider
No. 1 receiver potential at next level
Elite catch radius
Good run blocker "

No, I am not just "making up crap".

I said he didn't show the explosion and RAC ability that Benjamin has shown. He hasn't. Watch Benjamin's film from the UF game. Watch the sum total of all of Baldwin's highlights from his college career. Tell me who gets more separation and who's better after the catch.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Is it just me or does this guy scream Mike Williams coming out of USC a few years ago? Let Pete Carroll draft him.

Yes, I predict this guy is gonna be a huge bust

Mike Williams took a year off of football and by all accounts didn't do anything but eat. By the time he was eligible for the draft he was 30 pounds over his USC playing weight.

Benjamin's body composition has improved every year since he came to FSU. Dude lost about 20 pounds in 3 years and now squats around 600 and benches well over 400. He's put in a ton of time in the weight room by all accounts.

Not that it makes me some kind of insider, but I'm a huge FSU fan and a subscriber to a couple FSU premium sites. When Benjamin first came to FSU from Glades Central, the knock on him was that he was raw and out of shape. In his 3 years there, he improved as much as anyone on the team and consistently drew rave reviews from the coaching staff and teammates.
JG spreading the Benjamin gospel all over the interwebz ;)

Originally posted by genus49:
JG spreading the Benjamin gospel all over the interwebz ;)

I will forever sing his praises while simultaneously tomahawk chopping.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Mike Williams took a year off of football and by all accounts didn't do anything but eat. By the time he was eligible for the draft he was 30 pounds over his USC playing weight.

Benjamin's body composition has improved every year since he came to FSU. Dude lost about 20 pounds in 3 years and now squats around 600 and benches well over 400. He's put in a ton of time in the weight room by all accounts.

Not that it makes me some kind of insider, but I'm a huge FSU fan and a subscriber to a couple FSU premium sites. When Benjamin first came to FSU from Glades Central, the knock on him was that he was raw and out of shape. In his 3 years there, he improved as much as anyone on the team and consistently drew rave reviews from the coaching staff and teammates.

I think he's quite a bit faster and quicker than Mike Williams was as well
The way Kaep throws the ball I think Benjamin would be a perfect fit. He would command a double team in single WR formation and having him play slot in the RZ would be awesome.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Great read man, fully agree. Needs to clean up the contact. I think the reason why he disappears from games is because if he's the first read and doesn't get the ball he'll give up on the route, also doesn't seem to make the effort to get open if the play breaks down. I think that ties into his blocking issues too, just get's lazy, same with his drop problems. All because he is lazy doesn't focus enough. He's got a lot of talent, will demand double teams, but it's his work ethic, desire and focus that worries me.

Definitely agree. The fact that he's 23 and still not fully mature is scary too. I'd write it off to being just a sophmore, but at his age, is that really an excuse? You can't have enough talent to succeed in the NFL without being fully dedicated to the craft. Good points.
I really like Big, fast WR.

However, as stated by so many, our WR coaching has proved they can't do the job. Our play calling can be depressing.

This is a JH offense, run first. So, I'm leery of any WR being a big producer or difference maker.

That said, there's also hope.
Share 49ersWebzone