Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
1. Lack of arm strength-He's a smaller QB but unlike Drew Brees or Russell Wilson, he doesn't have the ability to gun it deep downfield.
2. Lack of pocket throwing experience-He struggled most often in the pocket, he definitely likes to get to the outside and run but in the NFL, he'll have to develop at least somewhat as a pocket passer to be successful.
3. Size-Yes, size doesn't matter, "blah blah blah", but when you force Russell Wilson to stay in the pocket, he still struggles mostly. When you're a smaller QB, you really have to be able to adjust to find your targets downfield consistently. Also, Wilson is bigger than a lot of NFL RB's, very solid, thick frame, Manziel is built like he just hit puberty. How many hits can he actually sustain?
4. Mindset-This is a guy who's already shown far greater immaturity than his peers, his behavior at best has been questionable. What happens when you hand him a pro contract with all the trappings of fame that come with it?
5. Progressions/Mental Makeup- Chucking it up to Mike Evans and playing #YOLO football will only get you so far. Can he adapt to a more complicated passing offense, to more complicated defense's, to going through his reads quickly....etc.
I'm just opposite on everything you are saying. Oh well. That's how it goes sometimes.
Did you like Doug Flutie as a player? What did you think of him? Would you say Manziel could at least be as good as Flutie? I think he will be at worst a Jeff Garcia. He has the same arm strength and just as much, if not more, piss and vinegar.
1) I agree with this a bit. But like I said, his arm is almost the same exact arm Jeff Garcia had.
2) I know what you are trying to say here, but this is a bit misleading. You always see him running around, but that's because he is trying to get away from someone OR because no one was open. When he has time, I see him sitting just fine in the pocket. In fact, he steps UP very nicely and throws with pin point touch and accuracy. I love the way he looks in a pocket, he looks so relaxed and in rhythm with the play.
3) This is true, but his size is also what gives him his elusiveness, not speed, but elusiveness. Same with Russell Wilson. He actually looks even more elusive then Wilson, which is almost impossible to imagine. He looks like a ninja out there. Uncanny body control and command of his balance, where he can then throw the ball from any position in any situation.
4) I have the opposite opinion. I think he is very mature and well spoken, with a very strong character. He interviews well, and doesn't just act like an android, like Wilson. I'm GLAD he parties in college. He's like a Russell Wilson with a touch of flair.
5) Boy he looks quick going through his reads, to me at least. And that Evans is SO overrated, don't even get me started on that. Manziel has MADE Evans, not the other way around. His sense of where to place the football in a crowd is so uncanny it looks like Evans is doing it by himself, but then you see his other receivers make similar plays on jump balls etc, and its obvious who the mastermind is.
Also, his deep ball reminds me of Jeff Garcia, picture perfect accuracy. When he overthrows a pass, and you look closely, almost every singe time, the WR was having his jersey yanked on.