LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

what is manziel's nfl future?

what is manziel's nfl future?

Originally posted by TheRambler:
All of this is correct.

This reminds me of the same questions about Russell Wilson when he came out. The people saying he's gonna be a bust are going to look like morons. Worst case barring injury he has a long productive NFL career ala Jeff Garcia or Doug Flutie.

Nobody really doubted Wilson's ability to play. He came out of a pro-style offense that he had performed well in. The only major question was his height, he was 5'11" which scared the hell out of teams. It was basically universally agreed that he was a Top 10 QB talent that would fall due to questions about his height. Unlike Manziel, Wilson can absolutely punish you if you let him run around enough for a receiver to get wide open deep downfield, he has a very strong arm that allows him to make all the deep throws that will light defense's up, Manziel's arm strength isn't even comparable.

People doubt Manziel because he's an immature headcase who is already acting as if he's arrived. The last guy I remember who seemed to be in the same place mentally and maturity wise as Manziel was Ryan Leaf, who on pure talent and potential, could have been a better QB than Peyton Manning but he lacked the necessary mental acuity and maturity for the position.

The bust potential on Manziel is off the charts. He could end up being a pretty good QB in the NFL if he gets his act together, or a massive bust that will be a Draft Bust horror story NFL GM's tell around the campfire.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Does Cosell watch games using Braille? Undraftable?

He has a couple of misreads, with WR's dropping tons of passes, playing in the rain against an elite college defense, and that makes him "undraftable"?

Can someone explain to me what is "undraftable" about this tape?

He was 16 of 41 for 220 yards and 2 INT's, are you trolling here? Looked awful, bad footwork, terrible in the pocket, poor accuracy, just flat out terrible.

The scary thing is that LSU made things very difficult for him and made him look like a deer in the headlights twice in two years. They did a great job in mixing coverages, sending timely blitzes and forcing Manziel to move to his left where he's a far less effective passer. A defense like the 49ers is perfectly setup to give Manziel some of the exact same headaches in the NFL.

Maybe I don't know enough about college football, but I don't see anything on this clip that is egregious. He actually looks pretty darn good to me. I don't know, maybe top college prospects are supposed to throw 49 - 50 for 600 yards and 8 TDs and 0 INTs in a typical game.
But if you pick it apart, play-by-play, I am not seeing anything where the guy look clueless, in fact, he looks very poised.

Is there tape of a quarterback killing the LSU defense? Maybe that would put it into better perspective for me.

Alot of people look great in college. The key is to decide which ones can translate that productivity to the pro's. The negatives vs the positives. The risks vs the rewards. Looking at Manziel's lack of physical tools and physical body, I think the risks vs the rewards is too high. I think 3rd round or later imo. Not because of his play, but because of his body and lack of strength/toughness. Let's face it, long-term health is a huge determining factor.
[ Edited by kronik on Feb 18, 2014 at 8:30 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

1. Lack of arm strength-He's a smaller QB but unlike Drew Brees or Russell Wilson, he doesn't have the ability to gun it deep downfield.

2. Lack of pocket throwing experience-He struggled most often in the pocket, he definitely likes to get to the outside and run but in the NFL, he'll have to develop at least somewhat as a pocket passer to be successful.

3. Size-Yes, size doesn't matter, "blah blah blah", but when you force Russell Wilson to stay in the pocket, he still struggles mostly. When you're a smaller QB, you really have to be able to adjust to find your targets downfield consistently. Also, Wilson is bigger than a lot of NFL RB's, very solid, thick frame, Manziel is built like he just hit puberty. How many hits can he actually sustain?

4. Mindset-This is a guy who's already shown far greater immaturity than his peers, his behavior at best has been questionable. What happens when you hand him a pro contract with all the trappings of fame that come with it?

5. Progressions/Mental Makeup- Chucking it up to Mike Evans and playing #YOLO football will only get you so far. Can he adapt to a more complicated passing offense, to more complicated defense's, to going through his reads quickly....etc.

I'm just opposite on everything you are saying. Oh well. That's how it goes sometimes.

Did you like Doug Flutie as a player? What did you think of him? Would you say Manziel could at least be as good as Flutie? I think he will be at worst a Jeff Garcia. He has the same arm strength and just as much, if not more, piss and vinegar.

1) I agree with this a bit. But like I said, his arm is almost the same exact arm Jeff Garcia had.

2) I know what you are trying to say here, but this is a bit misleading. You always see him running around, but that's because he is trying to get away from someone OR because no one was open. When he has time, I see him sitting just fine in the pocket. In fact, he steps UP very nicely and throws with pin point touch and accuracy. I love the way he looks in a pocket, he looks so relaxed and in rhythm with the play.

3) This is true, but his size is also what gives him his elusiveness, not speed, but elusiveness. Same with Russell Wilson. He actually looks even more elusive then Wilson, which is almost impossible to imagine. He looks like a ninja out there. Uncanny body control and command of his balance, where he can then throw the ball from any position in any situation.

4) I have the opposite opinion. I think he is very mature and well spoken, with a very strong character. He interviews well, and doesn't just act like an android, like Wilson. I'm GLAD he parties in college. He's like a Russell Wilson with a touch of flair.

5) Boy he looks quick going through his reads, to me at least. And that Evans is SO overrated, don't even get me started on that. Manziel has MADE Evans, not the other way around. His sense of where to place the football in a crowd is so uncanny it looks like Evans is doing it by himself, but then you see his other receivers make similar plays on jump balls etc, and its obvious who the mastermind is.
Also, his deep ball reminds me of Jeff Garcia, picture perfect accuracy. When he overthrows a pass, and you look closely, almost every singe time, the WR was having his jersey yanked on.
Originally posted by kronik:
Alot of people look great in college. The key is to decide which ones can translate that productivity to the pro's. The negatives vs the positives. The risks vs the rewards. Looking at Manziel's lack of physical tools and physical body, I think the risks vs the rewards is too high. I think 3rd round or later imo. Not because of his play, but because of his body and lack of strength/toughness. Let's face it, long-term health is a huge determining factor.

You can't tell me Jeff Garcia looks physically stronger than Manziel.
I'd like Manziel a lot more if he was a 3rd rounder like Wilson. Unlike Wilson (or Brees) though, he doesn't have a cannon for an arm and that will be the biggest difference in the pros. The windows won't be there like they were in college, and he'll find that out pretty quickly.

That said, he's a lot of fun to watch and I hope he makes it.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Merrill Hoge at it again, saying Manziel is going to be a huge bust and his game doesn't translate to the NFL lol
Hoge can eat a dick
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by lucky_49:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
He's come out (not from the closet) and basically said he dares Houston not to draft him #1, like he'll make them regret it forever more if they don't. Just a cocky little SOB.

didn't peyton manning say that to the colts too in 1998? or something like that.

Aaron Rodgers said the Niners would be a lot more upset than he would if they passed on him.

Peyton dared the colts and they both won.
Rodgers dared the Niners and we lost.
Johnny Football dares the Texans, we'll see what happens...
On another note, how bad was that first round (draft) besides Rodgers?
And maybe A.Smith, I'm sorry I still can't get over it, felt so bad for the kid as he waited in the green room. Still can't believe we didn't take the local product number one. Texans may regret passing.

You can't tell me Jeff Garcia looks physically stronger than Manziel.

Are you joking? Manziel is a boy compared to Garcia

[ Edited by kronik on Mar 19, 2014 at 7:05 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jimrat:
Merrill Hoge at it again, saying Manziel is going to be a huge bust and his game doesn't translate to the NFL lol
Hoge can eat a dick

You think Hoge is the only one that said it!!
In the immortal words of Alec Baldwin in the Departed "the world needs plenty of bartenders!" LOL Manziel. He's going to end up at Applebee's.

He gets drafted by the Raiders and is never heard of again!
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by jimrat:
Hoge can eat a dick

You think Hoge is the only one that said it!!
Who knows how he's gonna turn out. Im tired of haters like Hoge.
[ Edited by jimrat on Mar 20, 2014 at 9:38 PM ]
I'm not confident he'll succeed.

If I'm a another team, I'd be more comfortable drafting him VERY late 1st to mid 2nd.

If he lasts maybe we can trade back w/Jacksonville, Raiders, Browns??

IMO, he's not in Garcia's league.
Are you joking? Manziel is a boy compared to Garcia

Definitely not joking.

Manziel is slightly heavier and slightly shorter than Garcia, and like Garcia, it's all muscle. So there is no way Manziel is any more fragile than Garcia.
Seeing Jeff Garcia with his shirt off doesn't change those facts.
Definitely not joking.

Manziel is slightly heavier and slightly shorter than Garcia, and like Garcia, it's all muscle. So there is no way Manziel is any more fragile than Garcia.
Seeing Jeff Garcia with his shirt off doesn't change those facts.

Share 49ersWebzone