There are 581 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

what is manziel's nfl future?

what is manziel's nfl future?

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by lucky_49:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
He's come out (not from the closet) and basically said he dares Houston not to draft him #1, like he'll make them regret it forever more if they don't. Just a cocky little SOB.

didn't peyton manning say that to the colts too in 1998? or something like that.

LMAO, HELLZ NO he ain't worth the #1 overall pick....go ahead and pick him in the 1st round, good luck with that.

I hope Houston rather give up their draft and say trade for Colin Kaepernick than to draft Manziel with the overall pick.

But big difference though with Manning and Manziel, Manning was a complete QB coming outta college with far less baggage. Arm strength, ultimate pocket passer, 6'5" 230 mearsurables, good head on his shoulders, there's not one thing mentioned I could put a check mark next to Manziels name.

My friend who's a Raider fan said Harbs is go good at developing QBs that he can take an average QB and make him good. Come to think of it, a few people on this forum feel the same way. So we were joking around and came up with this scenario.

We trade Kaep to Houston for the 1st pick. With the 1st pick we select OLB/DE Clowney.
Then we trade our 4th round pick for Raiders QB Terrelle Pryor. There's your average QB with athletic gifts. Go to work Harbs!
Now that we have Clowney, we trade Aldon Smith for the Raiders 5th pick and select WR Watkins
Since Williams, Dorsey, TJE and McDonald are on their final season, with the 30th pick we select DE/DT Tuitt.
With our 2 2nd round picks we select CBs.

Yeah boy, boredom and the green stuff are a great combination
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,259
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Here's another case of over-inflated size reporting...does he really look like he's either 6-1 or 200 lbs. I don't doubt his play-making abilities, but I do question is relatively small size. Some might say, well look at Russell Wilson, but RW's put together pretty well. Just don't see that in Manziel...think he could get crushed in the NFL.

i'd put him at barely 5-11. weight? about 180.
I don't think he'll be elite, but he could be very good if he gets in the right system. If he gets on a bad team where he has to do too much, I don't think he will succeed. Definitely wouldn't use a top 15 pick on him, but if I could get him late 1st, I wouldn't hesitate. Other guys have done well lacking prototypical attributes, Russell Wilson is the newest example. Bottom line, the kid is hard to tackle and makes things happen.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Does Cosell watch games using Braille? Undraftable?

He has a couple of misreads, with WR's dropping tons of passes, playing in the rain against an elite college defense, and that makes him "undraftable"?

Can someone explain to me what is "undraftable" about this tape?


He was 16 of 41 for 220 yards and 2 INT's, are you trolling here? Looked awful, bad footwork, terrible in the pocket, poor accuracy, just flat out terrible.



The scary thing is that LSU made things very difficult for him and made him look like a deer in the headlights twice in two years. They did a great job in mixing coverages, sending timely blitzes and forcing Manziel to move to his left where he's a far less effective passer. A defense like the 49ers is perfectly setup to give Manziel some of the exact same headaches in the NFL.


Maybe I don't know enough about college football, but I don't see anything on this clip that is egregious. He actually looks pretty darn good to me. I don't know, maybe top college prospects are supposed to throw 49 - 50 for 600 yards and 8 TDs and 0 INTs in a typical game.
But if you pick it apart, play-by-play, I am not seeing anything where the guy look clueless, in fact, he looks very poised.

Is there tape of a quarterback killing the LSU defense? Maybe that would put it into better perspective for me.
So I've been watching more game tape on Manziel. I haven't seen him play before watching all these clips.

This guy is a star. He is electrifying. It's like watching Jeff Garcia and Russell Wilson in one player. This guy has the poise of Wilson, with the same "gamer" ability of Jeff Garcia where he fights with every inch of his ability on every single play.
I have never seen a player who just "gets" the game of football as much as this guy. He is absolutely amazing.
He has the best open field running ability of any quarterback I have ever seen. I'll say that again, he has the best open field running ability of any quarterback I have ever seen.

Then I look at the off-field stuff, because I heard there were some issues; but then found out that there are actually no issues whatsoever.

I don't know what everyone else is watching. This guy is going to be a STAR in the NFL.
Bridgewater is very good too, but I have never seen a football talent like Johnny Manziel before, who has a feel and rhythm for the game that might be unique. With an utter fearlessness and passing touch that rivals any quarterback.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Feb 18, 2014 at 1:28 AM ]
I see a lot of Jeff Garcia in the kid. He's not going to be throwing the ball Kaep/Newton style. He's not going to be able to replicate Wilson's throw strength either (Wilson, for some reason, gets everything out of his body in throws and does it quickly).

If he goes into an Andy Reid style offense, he should do just fine. I think he would be successful with the Texans or Phili. But, if he goes to a team that likes to send receivers past the 15 yard mark, the kid will struggle.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Maybe I don't know enough about college football, but I don't see anything on this clip that is egregious. He actually looks pretty darn good to me. I don't know, maybe top college prospects are supposed to throw 49 - 50 for 600 yards and 8 TDs and 0 INTs in a typical game.
But if you pick it apart, play-by-play, I am not seeing anything where the guy look clueless, in fact, he looks very poised.

Is there tape of a quarterback killing the LSU defense? Maybe that would put it into better perspective for me.



With absolutely no offense intended. Cosell is frequently on the money with his evaluations and Manziel has a lot of weaknesses he has to improve on, LSU seemed to expose those weaknesses more than others. So when Cosell notes that Manziel has holes in his game and was exposed by LSU, it bears taking notice.


Here are some big things he has to overcome



1. Lack of arm strength-He's a smaller QB but unlike Drew Brees or Russell Wilson, he doesn't have the ability to gun it deep downfield.

2. Lack of pocket throwing experience-He struggled most often in the pocket, he definitely likes to get to the outside and run but in the NFL, he'll have to develop at least somewhat as a pocket passer to be successful.

3. Size-Yes, size doesn't matter, "blah blah blah", but when you force Russell Wilson to stay in the pocket, he still struggles mostly. When you're a smaller QB, you really have to be able to adjust to find your targets downfield consistently. Also, Wilson is bigger than a lot of NFL RB's, very solid, thick frame, Manziel is built like he just hit puberty. How many hits can he actually sustain?


4. Mindset-This is a guy who's already shown far greater immaturity than his peers, his behavior at best has been questionable. What happens when you hand him a pro contract with all the trappings of fame that come with it?


5. Progressions/Mental Makeup- Chucking it up to Mike Evans and playing #YOLO football will only get you so far. Can he adapt to a more complicated passing offense, to more complicated defense's, to going through his reads quickly....etc.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 18, 2014 at 8:03 AM ]
A lot of his success dearly depends on who he is drafted by. I think perennial losers might say "Hey..look at RW, size don't matter, but moxie and will to win do" which is all well and good but RW rarely has to actually play the qb position under stressful circumstances.

The team who pics him better have an excellent D and running game to help ease him into NFL life. I know he's played against good teams in college, but they weren't NFL good. Taking him in the first round will expose him to too much pressure and his attitude is only going to make it worse.

I think he can be a good qb if he's drafted properly, but I don't think he will be.
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
My friend who's a Raider fan said Harbs is go good at developing QBs that he can take an average QB and make him good. Come to think of it, a few people on this forum feel the same way. So we were joking around and came up with this scenario.

We trade Kaep to Houston for the 1st pick. With the 1st pick we select OLB/DE Clowney.
Then we trade our 4th round pick for Raiders QB Terrelle Pryor. There's your average QB with athletic gifts. Go to work Harbs!
Now that we have Clowney, we trade Aldon Smith for the Raiders 5th pick and select WR Watkins
Since Williams, Dorsey, TJE and McDonald are on their final season, with the 30th pick we select DE/DT Tuitt.
With our 2 2nd round picks we select CBs.

Yeah boy, boredom and the green stuff are a great combination
what about trading you and your blabla to the texans board?
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
My friend who's a Raider fan said Harbs is go good at developing QBs that he can take an average QB and make him good. Come to think of it, a few people on this forum feel the same way. So we were joking around and came up with this scenario.

We trade Kaep to Houston for the 1st pick. With the 1st pick we select OLB/DE Clowney.
Then we trade our 4th round pick for Raiders QB Terrelle Pryor. There's your average QB with athletic gifts. Go to work Harbs!
Now that we have Clowney, we trade Aldon Smith for the Raiders 5th pick and select WR Watkins
Since Williams, Dorsey, TJE and McDonald are on their final season, with the 30th pick we select DE/DT Tuitt.
With our 2 2nd round picks we select CBs.

Yeah boy, boredom and the green stuff are a great combination
what about trading you and your blabla to the texans board?

lol Then you gotta trade all the people I hear that say Kaep is overrated and Harbs can make any QB good. I hear people at the gym all the time wanting to trade Kaep. Guess a loss in a SB and NFC title game will turn people on you. Even heard one person say Kaep is Bizarro-Monatana.
Just having fun waiting for the draft and new season.
[ Edited by FunkNinerFlex on Feb 18, 2014 at 3:10 PM ]
He is a terrible QB, Troy Smith 2.0

Lets look at mobile QB's in the NFL now

Top of my head you have Kap, Wilson, Newton, Manuel, and RG3. (putting manuel in might be inaccurate due to his injury).

Kap is 6'4 can throw a 90 mph fastball, and is WAY faster than Manziel

Wilson has amazing field vision, something that maziel lacks, and can take a hit. Johnny has yet to break 200 lbs?

Netwon speaks for himself, freak athlete.

RG3 is faster, taller, and is struggling in the NFL.

I know its unfair to go off of size, speed, and arm strength, but for the kind of play he is looking to bring into the NFL...
Of the 4 QB's I mentioned they are all have been to the playoffs.
On the list RG3 is probably the worst QB and I would still pick him over Manziel, even when he was a Baylor.
He will be a white RG3,

He will struggle to stay healthy but will make some highlight plays from time to time. Will not be a long term franchise QB for a team. Maybe 2-3 decent years at best.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,368
I think he is a coin flip looking at that video he made a lot of risky throws that could be Int's in the NFL. On a lot of the scrambling around he frequently avoids getting sacked by slim margins a lot of those could turn into sacks in the NFL with quicker defenders. His street ball improvising could fail miserably in the NFL or he could improve his pocket passing and be a success.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
So I've been watching more game tape on Manziel. I haven't seen him play before watching all these clips.

This guy is a star. He is electrifying. It's like watching Jeff Garcia and Russell Wilson in one player. This guy has the poise of Wilson, with the same "gamer" ability of Jeff Garcia where he fights with every inch of his ability on every single play.
I have never seen a player who just "gets" the game of football as much as this guy. He is absolutely amazing.
He has the best open field running ability of any quarterback I have ever seen. I'll say that again, he has the best open field running ability of any quarterback I have ever seen.

Then I look at the off-field stuff, because I heard there were some issues; but then found out that there are actually no issues whatsoever.

I don't know what everyone else is watching. This guy is going to be a STAR in the NFL.
Bridgewater is very good too, but I have never seen a football talent like Johnny Manziel before, who has a feel and rhythm for the game that might be unique. With an utter fearlessness and passing touch that rivals any quarterback.

All of this is correct.

This reminds me of the same questions about Russell Wilson when he came out. The people saying he's gonna be a bust are going to look like morons. Worst case barring injury he has a long productive NFL career ala Jeff Garcia or Doug Flutie.
[ Edited by TheRambler on Feb 18, 2014 at 5:18 PM ]
now that all of us think he's gonna suck i wonder if that means he'll be amazing