• GEEK
  • Veteran
Starting Cap Room at $7.4M

Resign ($-12M): Boldin, Brown, Wright, Wilhoite, Dawson

Cut ($+10M): Rogers (June 1st cut), Dahl, Baldwin, Snyder

Extend/Restructure ($+10M): Gore, Davis, Willis

Free Agency ($-7M):

Louis Delmas - S - Lions (Cut)
*Cheaper and younger safety that fits our scheme. Similar to Eric Wright, we've expressed interest in recent years.

Jonathan Martin - OT/OG - Dolphins (Cut)
*Signs a 2 year prove it deal to restart his NFL career. Potential replacement for Iupati at LG. Very cheap depth player on our roster, and younger than Snyder.

Lemuel Jeanpierre - OG/C - Seahawks (RFA - no forfeited picks)
*Pinch hit for Unger and played surprisingly well. We lost out on a great center prospect in Brian de la Puente that ended up as a very good starter for the Saints. It's time for us to poach.

Darrius Heyward-Bey - WR - Colts
*Vertical threat on our offense and plays special teams (not a returner). Replacement for Osgood. Cheap 2 year deal.

NFL Draft:

49ers trade 1st, 3rd, and LaMichael James for Jets 1st round pick

R1: Ra'Shede Hageman - DT/DE - Minnesota (via Jets)
*Explosive playmaker that has the perfect blend of size, speed, and strength to become a pro bowl player in the league. With a heavier rotation in our D-line, he will see action immediately.

49ers trade 2nd (via Chiefs), 4th, and 7th round picks for Titans 2nd round pick

R2: Jordan Matthews - WR - Vanderbilt (via Titans)
*A nice combination of skills that fits our offensive philosophy. Potential replacement for Crabtree.

R2: Ahmad Dixon - S - Baylor
*Competes with Delmas for the starting strong safety position. Projects to be a solid safety in the NFL.

R3: Michael Sam - DE/LB - Missouri (via Titans)
*Skuta shifts back to ILB, and we have two backup bookends to supplement our pass rush.

R4: Antone Exum - CB - Virginia (comp)
*Big, physical cornerback coming off an ACL injury. The injury, plus questions around his projected position in the NFL, will make him fall here. Much needed size in our secondary.

R5: David Fales - QB - San Jose State
*Competes for the backup gig to Kap.

R6: Rajion Neal - RB - Tennessee
*Similar playing style to Gore, Neal will provide depth to the position.

R7: Corry "Pitt" Brown - WR/PR - Ohio State (via Saints)
*Solid receiver with punt return skills from a good program. Good value pick here.

R7: Trey Millard - RB/FB/TE - Oklahoma (via Panthers)
*FB + Torn ACL = dropping in the draft. Lattimore and Millard is the future offense for the 49ers.

Depth Chart -

QB: Kaepernick/Fales
RB: Gore/Hunter/Lattimore/Neal*
FB: Miller/Millard*
TE: Davis/McDonald/Celek

WR: Crabtree/Heyward-Bey*
WR: Boldin/Patton
WR: Matthews*/Brown*

LT: Staley/Martin*
LG: Iupati/Looney
C: Jeanpierre*/Kilgore
RG: Boone
RT: Davis

LE: Smith/Hageman*
NT: Dorsey/Williams/TJE
RE: McDonald/Carradine

OLB: Smith/Sam*
ILB: Willis/Moody
ILB: Wilhoite/Skuta (Bowman on PUP)
OLB: Brooks/Lemonier

CB: Brock/Culliver
CB: Brown/Wright/Exum*
FS: Reid/Spillman
SS: Delmas*/Dixon*/Ventrone

ST: Dawson, Lee, McDermott
Stopped reading after I saw that you want to hire DHB
Don't think the jets will give us their pick so cheaply. Otherwise some interesting picks.
Delmas isn't cheap and DHB is too inconsistent.
Saw Delmas and went "huh?" This guy has an injury-riddled career. Remember Bob Sanders the Colts DB? Exactly.
Interesting thoughts.
I don't like the matthews pick at wr i think that he is seriously over-rated and people like him because of his inflated numbers and jerry rice's cousin he isn't a good fit now if you would have said Jarvis Landry or Martavis Bryant that would have been much better and I seriously disagree with your first pick as well we the need is more at the Safety position than the D-Line at that point in the draft. Please re-do your draft.
Meh
NO SWEET STUFF
i'm ok with the picks especially hageman would be great, but i'm not into Matthews. there are a lot good receivers in the draft, i think we get one as good as him in the fourth or fifth. Same with Sam, lets face it, he's going to perceived as a distraction that half the teams in the league won't even bother with. If we decide to go for it, he couldbe had at 4th or 5th unless ofcourse he kills the combine. I don't mind DHB so much, he can't be worse than some of the other receivers we had or maybe its not the receivers because Teddy Ginn seemed to do well when he left.

Damn, we're going for Martin & Sam?
Don't like:

1st rounder- Rashede Hageman, love the player, but not a need this high, rather go Dominique Easley early third if he's still there.

3rd rounder- Michael Sam. His stock is DROPPING. I'd try and draft him in the 5th.

5th rounder- David Fales. I don't think he'll be there in the 5th, and I'd prefer a veteran back-up and would be shocked if the 49ers don't draft Aaron Murray, that has 49ers pick written all over it; mobile 4 year QB and top it all off, he's had an ACL injury, so he can sit back and learn the position for a year.
Interesting.

NEVER been a fan of DHB and cana this guy play ST even close to Osgood? Osgood was a definite star on ST.

Love the Hageman pick. BUT if we're going to trade up that far, I think we can get a very good player in a position of need.

How expensive would Jeanpierre be?
Not a fan of this mock at all
The best value between receiver and cornerback will be our 1st pick no other position
You should've taken a sleeping pill (LOL). Seriously, your trades don't yield the quality of players they should. Agree, Hageman's got the potential to be a beast, but has been inconsistent. A better DL pick (the best IMHO) is Stephon Tuitt, far and away the best 5-technique in this draft, but also with the size (6-6, 320) to play NT. Matthews is basically a possession receiver...we need speed, so I'd go after either Beckham or Cooks to provide another dimension.

If it came down to Whitner or Delmas, I'd think Baalke would try very hard to re-sign Donte. Also, cutting Dahl would mean there's no experienced b/u S.

Baalke will most likely offer T. Brown nickel CB $$ vice one of the two starting positions. Not sure Tarrel would sign for less $$. As for Wright, given they opted to start Cox over him late in the season's not exactly a ringing endorsement. Instead, sign up & coming CB Nolan Carroll...you get younger and bigger (6-1, 205).

Why sign Jonathan Martin when they have Luke Marquardt under contract. Unproven, maybe, but 6-8, 315 lb OT's with awesome agility don't come along that often. I'll be amazed if LM doesn't emerge as the swing OT.

C, same deal...Kilgore, Looney and even Ryan Seymour can all play the position (all under contract). Looney could move to LG to replace Iupati in 2015, whose asking price will most likely be beyond what the Niners are willing to pay (thanks a lot, Titans, for signing the lesser Andy Levitre to 6 yrs @ $47M).

DHB...you're kidding, right. I thought so.

No problem w/Dixon, sounds like he'd be a good fit.

Nothing against Sam, who's a very good player, but Trent Murphy, Van Noy or Marcus Smith would seem like better fits, especially in the 3rd rd.

Agree with others, if you're going to draft Fales, it's probably in the 4th rd, not the 5th.

Waiting 'til the 4th rd to take a CB (albeit one coming off an ACL injury) doesn't really help. Again, I wouldn't count on T. Brown or Wright re-signing. IF Baalke signed Carroll, that'd give Harbaugh 3 vet CB's. Just think they'd want to draft a healthy CB earlier in the draft...but, you've traded away picks to do that.

Others, meh, nothing special. Not sure Millard will last 'til 7th rd.
Share 49ersWebzone