LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 322 users in the forums

LaMichael James for Johnathon Martin and....

Pick #30
Pick #160 or so (5th round)
RB LaMichael James

for

Pick #19
OT Johnathon Martin

I would do this trade if we were able to land Marquis Lee with the #19 pick.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Madden doesn't translate to real life.

I would do thid trade no matter who was still on the board but I wouldn't hold my breath. Doubt the team with the 19th pick would take the deal.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
I would do thid trade no matter who was still on the board but I wouldn't hold my breath. Doubt the team with the 19th pick would take the deal.

Yeah this trade ain't happening. Lot of factors have to occur:

1.) Dolphins need an RB, but are they even interested in LaMichael James?
2.) Do the 49ers want to trade LaMichael James?
3.) Do the 49ers want/are interested in Johnathan Martin?
4.) Are the Dolphins willing to trade down?

The only Yes answer to any of these questions is:

5.) Are the Dolphins going to get rid of Johnathon Martin? Yes

Not sure a team even want to trade for Johnathon Martin as I think he'd be on the last year of his deal and he was not a very good starting tackle. Not sure the terms on getting released, but if he were to be allowed to negotiate a new deal that would be in the best interest of the team signing him.
I think the Dolphins will try to get the most in trading Martin and that would leave us out.

They'll also have to handle the Jerry and Pouncy situations. If they stay there is no way Martin will be on that team.

Their dilemma is do they keep 2 starters who will have VERY bad PR for the team and get rid of a little better than average player in Martin.

Or trade one of the two and keep Martin?

Personally, I'd love us getting Pouncy instead. [I know it won't happen
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:

Yeah this trade ain't happening. Lot of factors have to occur:

1.) Dolphins need an RB, but are they even interested in LaMichael James?
2.) Do the 49ers want to trade LaMichael James?
3.) Do the 49ers want/are interested in Johnathan Martin?
4.) Are the Dolphins willing to trade down?

The only Yes answer to any of these questions is:

5.) Are the Dolphins going to get rid of Johnathon Martin? Yes

Not sure a team even want to trade for Johnathon Martin as I think he'd be on the last year of his deal and he was not a very good starting tackle. Not sure the terms on getting released, but if he were to be allowed to negotiate a new deal that would be in the best interest of the team signing him.
I would take the deal for the pick only without Martin. If they threw him in it would just be a bonus. Still think they wouldn't take the deal even if they didn't have to offer up Martin. They would probably want a 2nd and a 5th round pick for that move without Martin.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Not sure that would put us in position to draft M.Lee, since Jets pick right before Dolphins and need a WR, many mocks have them taking Lee

I would like Martin on the team as a swing tackle who could start
Miami already has two RBs they don't know how to use. LMJ doesn't help solve their backfield issues.
I'm not so sure Miami accepts this trade. But if they were willing, go for it. At pick #19, they have an option of possibly getting Lee, Dix, or Gilbert. I'd probably go for the DB though because there is much more receiving talent available than DB. Plus, barring injury, I doubt any receiver we draft would play much anyway. A top tier safety or corner has the chance to actually start.
Jeez, guys, we've had LMj what 2 yrs now, and still Coach can't find a way to use him? Coach, here's a hint. Look what Sean Payton has done with Sproles and reggie bush before him. Use him as an outlet guy in the backfield, the release if everyone else is covered. You haven't done it yet, and before trading a real talent, why not try him in this way...Lord knows we sure could have used him like that in NFCC and SB last yr. Your reluctance to do this is mystifying. You got a guy who is great in space and you avoid him. Why? Really Why? How about rather than trading anybody you do what you SHOULD have done the last 3 yrs and that is find out what the talen on the team already can do. Right now we could probably bypass the draft and if our current players were used to best suit their talents, we probably wouldn't have to trade or cut anyone. But first, bubba, you have to find out what exactly you have with each of your players...and right now it sure seems you got no idea about some of your guys...LMJ just being one.

was'nt martin actually getting playing time? wasn't he a higher pick than James? im thinking at least an additional 3rd for this to even be considered by miami.
The real trade is: Niners trade Iupati and a 2nd for Miami's 19th and Martin
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Jeez, guys, we've had LMj what 2 yrs now, and still Coach can't find a way to use him? Coach, here's a hint. Look what Sean Payton has done with Sproles and reggie bush before him. Use him as an outlet guy in the backfield, the release if everyone else is covered. You haven't done it yet, and before trading a real talent, why not try him in this way...Lord knows we sure could have used him like that in NFCC and SB last yr. Your reluctance to do this is mystifying. You got a guy who is great in space and you avoid him. Why? Really Why? How about rather than trading anybody you do what you SHOULD have done the last 3 yrs and that is find out what the talen on the team already can do. Right now we could probably bypass the draft and if our current players were used to best suit their talents, we probably wouldn't have to trade or cut anyone. But first, bubba, you have to find out what exactly you have with each of your players...and right now it sure seems you got no idea about some of your guys...LMJ just being one.

I think the problem with James is that he just can´t pass protect. So if you put him on the field it is pretty clear for the defensive coordinator what kind of plays you gonna run. Screens, a quick pass, a run. Problably no deep pass. So they stack the box and he is not the type of player who breaks tackles or can get you the tough yards.
Would be my only explanation.
[ Edited by DeUh on Feb 18, 2014 at 1:13 PM ]
I dont see this happening but I would love if it did!
Why would we want a soft OL who is now known to be mentally unstable?

Ill pass.

Share 49ersWebzone