There are 165 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Sammy Watkins- what would it take to move up?

Originally posted by English:
Yes, I do, despite the received wisdom of the Webzone. I wouldn't want to throw away so many draft picks though.

This. As I've said many times before, do people honestly think that the Falcons are better off with Julio Jones than they would have been with Torrey Smith, Richard Sherman, Brandon Boykins, Cameron Jordan and Whitney Mercilus?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 12, 2014 at 11:52 AM ]
Some questions for you phoenix.
1. do you see Watkins as having a better career than crabtree?
2. what do you put the odds of the 9ers resigning crabtree next year?
3. if you think Watkins is the best receiver in the draft, how much better do you see him than evans, cooks, moncrief or others in this years draft class?

Originally posted by Kezar1965:
Here's a wild idea on how to draft Sammy Watkins. The Raiders actually have to spend a lot of money to get up to the cap minimum and draft picks don't count for big money against the cap - so - trade Crabtree to the raiders. Plus a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd. Raiders then give Crabs big money extension. 9ers get Watkins on rookie deal for 4 years and option year. I don't think we are going to pay Crabtree the kind of money he will want (see rookie holdout) so this trade leaves us getting younger and cheaper with a top five talent. Make this deal on draft day to make sure Watkins is available.

I don't know how realistic my idea is but if the raiders went for this I see it as really just giving up a 2nd and 3rd extra for Watkins. I think we would draft Watkins with our 1st if he was there at 30 so give up our 1st and crabtree makes this more like a trade of crabtree for Watkins. plus our 2nd and 3rd. I think we could afford that as we would still have a 2nd and a 3rd.

I'm interested in your take on Watkins, phoenix. I think this kid has star written all over him. I really liked his boasting about the bowl game - then going out and backing up his talk!
Some questions for you phoenix.
1. do you see Watkins as having a better career than crabtree?
2. what do you put the odds of the 9ers resigning crabtree next year?
3. if you think Watkins is the best receiver in the draft, how much better do you see him than evans, cooks, moncrief or others in this years draft class?

Here's a wild idea on how to draft Sammy Watkins. The Raiders actually have to spend a lot of money to get up to the cap minimum and draft picks don't count for big money against the cap - so - trade Crabtree to the raiders. Plus a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd. Raiders then give Crabs big money extension. 9ers get Watkins on rookie deal for 4 years and option year. I don't think we are going to pay Crabtree the kind of money he will want (see rookie holdout) so this trade leaves us getting younger and cheaper with a top five talent. Make this deal on draft day to make sure Watkins is available.

I don't know how realistic my idea is but if the raiders went for this I see it as really just giving up a 2nd and 3rd extra for Watkins. I think we would draft Watkins with our 1st if he was there at 30 so give up our 1st and crabtree makes this more like a trade of crabtree for Watkins. plus our 2nd and 3rd. I think we could afford that as we would still have a 2nd and a 3rd.

I'm interested in your take on Watkins, phoenix. I think this kid has star written all over him. I really liked his boasting about the bowl game - then going out and backing up his talk!

crabtree a 1st a 2nd and a 3rd is wayyyy too much to give up for him i think...sure he'll probably be great but we'd lose 4 potentially great players for 1
The idea of having Watkins on our team would be great is it realistic? no, not even worth discussing. With one of the deepest draft classes in a long time you really think that giving up crucial 2nd and 3rd round picks and more you must be crazy, The niners have holes to fill and I believe might move in the first but there is no way we get Watkins , I would rather have Evans anyway
A 1st and a 2nd and a 3rd
Watkins will go to Browns at 4 IMO
I thought this idea had passed...I don't see Baalke giving up that much to get a WR. I know he and Harbs really like Evans, who'd arguably be a somewhat lesser trade up, but not even sure he'd be willing to get down that far...the cost is significant. Too significant.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by English:
Yes, I do, despite the received wisdom of the Webzone. I wouldn't want to throw away so many draft picks though.

This. As I've said many times before, do people honestly think that the Falcons are better off with Julio Jones than they would have been with Torrey Smith, Richard Sherman, Brandon Boykins, Cameron Jordan and Whitney Mercilus?

x2. If you want to stay at the top a team needs to continue to build up depth within the organization for the inevitable contract increases of your stars (Kaepernick) and to be able to replace some of the ones you may no longer be able to keep (Iupati, Crabtree, J.Smith). This team isn't as deep as many here seem to believe. Just look at the production statistics from the 3rd wide receiver as well as the play of the CB depth as the season went along. And as good as the depth of our RB group appears to be, it sure relies a hell of a lot on a 31 year old who is going to hit a wall at some point. Kendall Hunter is good but not an every down guy, nor is James and we're still not sure on Lattimore. The 49ers are still in a great spot, but constant infusion of talent is what we need, not 1 guy.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Mar 12, 2014 at 2:49 PM ]
Kelvin Benjamin would be a better fit
  • jlo23
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4everfaithful24:
Kelvin Benjamin would be a better fit

I think Benjamin will be a late 1st rounder, in reach for the Niners to move up, but not have to sell the farm!
  • jimrat
  • Veteran

[ Edited by jimrat on Mar 16, 2014 at 4:24 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
CollegeFootball 24/7 ‏@NFL_CFB

.@MoveTheSticks: With 6 top-100 picks, @49ers have ammo to trade up for star like Sammy Watkins. http://on.nfl.com/1plbvOf
Originally posted by Jcool:
CollegeFootball 24/7 ‏@NFL_CFB

.@MoveTheSticks: With 6 top-100 picks, @49ers have ammo to trade up for star like Sammy Watkins. http://on.nfl.com/1plbvOf

We will not be the Atlanta Falcons and pass up on 4 or 5 potential starters for one guy.