There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Sammy Watkins- what would it take to move up?

That list of SB winning WRs tells you that it's more about having a great QB than it is having highly-drafted WRs.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 13, 2014 at 11:24 PM ]
Giving up that much to get an unproven WR (in the NFL) is nuts, IMHO. I won't argue we could use some speed at the position, but the BL is Baalke doesn't have to do what you suggest to get it. Watkins isn't the only burner in this draft...so why give up all those high picks. As Kap admitted, he cost us the chance to get back to the SB...if his pass was a couple inches higher Crabtree catches it and we're in. Atlanta did what you're suggesting and look where it's gotten them...true, Jones was hurt this past season, but the BL is it's cost that team dearly. There's no way in you-know-what Baalke makes that deal. None. What he will do is get some receiving help and insure he keeps the rest of the team strong, which is what any GM should do.
I would consider going for it but would they? Two 2nd rounders and a 4th to move out of the 4th spot to the back end at 30. Probably not. And our 2nd rounders are late ones. We could get an elite receiver and still have plenty of picks to fill needs. 2 CB's and a C in round 3 and 5 more picks to add to that.

We once traded from the 3rd pick and collected the 16th and the 24th. A far better deal. They wouldn't take our two 2nd rounders and a 4th.
More than Baalke is willing to give up, that's for sure.
WR â€" Brandon Coleman*, Rutgers, 6-6 220lbs 4.47 speed

WR - Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt, 6-3 205lbs 4.45 speed

WR â€" Allen Robinson*, Penn State, 6-3 201 lbs, 4.45 speed

Not giving up the next two draft for a guy that isn't the second coming of jerry rice. Rather land one of these 3 dude and still add more talent and youth to the secondary.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
He's the only player that is a complete game changer in this draft offensively...

he's probably going to go top 5-7 picks

what does it take to move up that far? this is what the falcons gave up to move up for Julio Jones who as we all know has been a game changer for the falcons and matt ryan

They surrendered their own first-round pick (27), a second-rounder (59) and a fourth-rounder (124) this year, plus a first-rounder and a fourth-rounder next year to move up from 27th pick to 6th pick to get Julio.

They normally say 2 2nd rd picks this year equate to a 1st rd pick in following year.

Would you give up #30 and our 2 2nd rd picks plus a 4th rd pick to move up for Sammy Watkins?

That'd leave us with 2 3rd rd picks and possibly another 3rd rd pick as compensatory

That almost sounds good to me, almost.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Originally posted by TX9R:
This type of situation is what hamstrung Atlanta when they got Julio Jones and had no depth once guys got hurt becasue they traded all their picks. We already wasted one draft in 2012.

really? atlanta never had a good defense or OL or running game..julio jones made that entire offense go the year b4 also w/ what he made defenses do

But the lack of quality players came back to bite them this season when the ONE guy they traded for was hurt. They didn't trade for Julio Jones to simply be an explosive playmaker. I'm pretty certain they made the trade to win it all. Three seasons into it, they are further away from the goal than when they first made the trade.

I'll give everyone on the trade a ton of draft picks bandwagon another example. I remember a really good Minnesota Vikings team in the late 80s. They were good enough to make it to the Divisional round of the NFC playoffs and knock off our beloved 49ers one year. They too, thought they were ONE player away, so they made the trade of the century for the missing link- Herschel Walker. And as we all know, that trade led to the birth of a dynasty. Unfortunately, it wasn't a Vikings dynasty.
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
I find it funny how so many 49er fans talk about trading up for Sammy.

Do any of you that have draft crushes on this kid realize he caught 59%
of his passes on designed screens! Now put on your 49er thinking cap
and think about that??? Now do you understand why he has no chance of
being a 49er?

The 49ers and screens don't go together. The only way this kid is playing for
us is if he slides down to pick 30.

To be honest given the 59% statistic I am unsure I would even draft him. He doesn't
fit our scheme.

we don't run bubble screens? also i'd bet crabtree ran a similar amount of bubble screens in college
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Don't know if already posted-
Would you take this trade back??
http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2014/2/9/5394628/would-you-take-this-trade-back

No, I would not give up future year picks, especially a first.
I think lee is better anyway and he can probably be had for less.
Originally posted by fryet:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Don't know if already posted-
Would you take this trade back??
http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2014/2/9/5394628/would-you-take-this-trade-back

No, I would not give up future year picks, especially a first.

Eff that trade suggestion. Even though I would like Sammy I know it's not going to happen. How is this chart formulated? Is it a weighted average (per position) of the expected salaries of these rookies or something? Did someone go back and analyze all past drafts and assign a value based on draft pick position and actual NFL performance?
Originally posted by SaksV:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
BECAUSE THE 9ERS SUK AT DRAFTING RECEIVERS. CRABS WAS GIFTED TO THEM IN 2009 BY DEM IDIOTS ACROSS THE WAY,EVEN THEN IT WAS #9 BY DEFAULT

Crabs was 10th Overall.... I wouldn't say the 49ers suck at drafting WRs, I'd say they're not very good at utilizing whatever WRs they have.
Besides Boldin and Crabs, no WR that comes here has done much of anything. Crabtree was the first 1,000-yard receiver in over a decade.
If you think about it, the only WR that was expected to make an impact (due to draft position) has been AJ Jenkins. Other than him, the 49ers haven't taken a WR very high at all. K-Dubb was a 6th rounder, so was Ron Johnson and Josh Morgan. I don't even expect 6th rounders to make the 53-Man Roster let alone contribute.

So, the 49ers could go ahead and trade up to #1 and draft a 27 year old Jerry Rice, it won't matter if they won't utilize him properly. I'm hoping things change and Quinton Patton has a breakout season.

No, I think it's the ability to identify talent. We only struck gold with Crabtree and Boldin. Alex Smith is not the supposedly "one-read" QB that Kaep is, he'll scan and make the dump off every time. And that's why Gore got so many receptions with Alex at the helm; because his receivers weren't open. Prior to Harbs it was a combination of bad QB play and no WR's so let's not go there. Have any of our WR acquisitions over the past 3-4 years that we let go have gone on to do well with other teams? Maybe Josh Morgan?
BECAUSE THE 9ERS SUK AT DRAFTING RECEIVERS. CRABS WAS GIFTED TO THEM IN 2009 BY DEM IDIOTS ACROSS THE WAY,EVEN THEN IT WAS #9 BY DEFAULT

Crabs was 10th Overall.... I wouldn't say the 49ers suck at drafting WRs, I'd say they're not very good at utilizing whatever WRs they have.
Besides Boldin and Crabs, no WR that comes here has done much of anything. Crabtree was the first 1,000-yard receiver in over a decade.
If you think about it, the only WR that was expected to make an impact (due to draft position) has been AJ Jenkins. Other than him, the 49ers haven't taken a WR very high at all. K-Dubb was a 6th rounder, so was Ron Johnson and Josh Morgan. I don't even expect 6th rounders to make the 53-Man Roster let alone contribute.

So, the 49ers could go ahead and trade up to #1 and draft a 27 year old Jerry Rice, it won't matter if they won't utilize him properly. I'm hoping things change and Quinton Patton has a breakout season.

No, I think it's the ability to identify talent. We only struck gold with Crabtree and Boldin. Alex Smith is not the supposedly "one-read" QB that Kaep is, he'll scan and make the dump off every time. And that's why Gore got so many receptions with Alex at the helm; because his receivers weren't open. Prior to Harbs it was a combination of bad QB play and no WR's so let's not go there. Have any of our WR acquisitions over the past 3-4 years that we let go have gone on to do well with other teams? Maybe Josh Morgan?

Josh Morgan did terrible in Washington and will probably be signing a veteran minimum deal this offseason. I have to admit, when you look at it, Alex Smith's receivers over the years struggled to be average, with the exception of Michael Crabtree.

With the AJ Jenkins pick, honestly, I didn't think it was a horrible pick at the time. I was shocked and wanted others (Fleener #1, Randle #2, etc), but I do get the logic. Baalke was trying to add some speed to complement Crabtree and though Jenkins has some, he was lacking in several other areas. Had he been a 3rd or 4th round pick, he probably would still be on the team, carving out a nice spot as our deep threat. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Baalke reached for AJ Jenkins. Despite that, I'm confident that Quinton Patton will be a strong #3 and could challenge for a starting spot as early as 2015. I think if Baalke targets two of the many good receivers that will be available in this draft, we will round out our group AND have insurance against injury.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Josh Morgan did terrible in Washington and will probably be signing a veteran minimum deal this offseason. I have to admit, when you look at it, Alex Smith's receivers over the years struggled to be average, with the exception of Michael Crabtree.

With the AJ Jenkins pick, honestly, I didn't think it was a horrible pick at the time. I was shocked and wanted others (Fleener #1, Randle #2, etc), but I do get the logic. Baalke was trying to add some speed to complement Crabtree and though Jenkins has some, he was lacking in several other areas. Had he been a 3rd or 4th round pick, he probably would still be on the team, carving out a nice spot as our deep threat. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Baalke reached for AJ Jenkins. Despite that, I'm confident that Quinton Patton will be a strong #3 and could challenge for a starting spot as early as 2015. I think if Baalke targets two of the many good receivers that will be available in this draft, we will round out our group AND have insurance against injury.

Could've had Alshon Jefferey instead of AJ, grrrrrrr
Our 1st (30)
Our 2nd (56) from the Chiefs
Our 3rd (77) from the Titans
And our 2nd next year

Works out for a trade with the Buc's #7 pick on the evaluator.

We keep our 1st next year, and
We still have a pick in every round this year.