LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

Sammy Watkins- what would it take to move up?

I Would BE ALL FOR TRADING up for Watkins, I'd give #30, #56, #77 and a 3rd next year. That's if he fell to 8 or Lower. Then I'd trade down from #61 and pick up a 3rd that was given up in the 1st trade and Take the Best available CB in the 3rd round. Then resign Quan to a One Year deal around $5.5 Mill and Let Watkins get One Year from Quan and Crabs.
First of all, Watkins is far from the only game-changing player in this draft. Don't believe all the hype...sure he's good, fast and all, but there are a number of other WR's who have similar abilities. There's absolutely no way Baalke trades up that high to get him or any other WR. It's possible he'll trade up in the 1st rd (like he did last year), but nothing says it'll be a WR. It could be one of the best CB's, DL, who knows. Last year they got Reid, who was a definite need, but he could well go for BPA. If a guy like Stephon Tuitt is there, I think he'd be crazy not to take him. Talk about a difference maker...6-6, 320 and projected to run a 4.80 X 40. That's insane and he's far and away the best 5-technique in this draft. Baalke took Carradine last year and redshirted him. Far as I know Tuitt's healthy and would be ready to take over for either Justin Smith or Ray Mac when the time's right. That's just one example of a direction Baalke could easily go.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
First of all, Watkins is far from the only game-changing player in this draft. Don't believe all the hype...sure he's good, fast and all, but there are a number of other WR's who have similar abilities. There's absolutely no way Baalke trades up that high to get him or any other WR. It's possible he'll trade up in the 1st rd (like he did last year), but nothing says it'll be a WR. It could be one of the best CB's, DL, who knows. Last year they got Reid, who was a definite need, but he could well go for BPA. If a guy like Stephon Tuitt is there, I think he'd be crazy not to take him. Talk about a difference maker...6-6, 320 and projected to run a 4.80 X 40. That's insane and he's far and away the best 5-technique in this draft. Baalke took Carradine last year and redshirted him. Far as I know Tuitt's healthy and would be ready to take over for either Justin Smith or Ray Mac when the time's right. That's just one example of a direction Baalke could easily go.

I Like Tuitt and I have him Mocked to us in my initial mock draft. But if a Chance to get Sammy Watkins came up say he fell to 8 or lower and we give up 30,56,77 and a 3rd next year, I'd do it in a SECOND! We'd still have #61,94,125 and Sammy Watkins!! He would be a HUGE difference maker almost instantly on the 49ers offense.
Originally posted by fryet:
I can see the value of trading up for him if we think we can't resign Boldin or Crabtree, plus he would be more cap friendly. We have not done well drafting WR in low end of the first, so getting a great one in the top 10 (like Crabtree) may be the best way to ensure we get a playmaker.

Yep, we would definitely save a lot of money. Say a 5 year deal at like 20 million for the 5-10th compared to Crabtree at 5 years 50 mil or something. So we get 1 year of Crabtree, Boldin, Watkins then after this year Watkins and Boldin. It's certainly and option like I said though it depends on how much it takes to move up and who re-signs. I just dont see it happening though; it's not Baalke's style. I'd be really worried about how Roman would use him I mean first year if he's a #3 we would be wasting him since we don't use our #3 often. But I guess we would have him for 4 more years after that but the way we run the ball so much is he worth it? Might put us over the top and get us that SB win or might hurt us for a few years. It's not like we don't have holes. We have a lot of FA's in 14 and 15 and we could have needs at CB, SS, C as well and maybe LG and DE next year.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 13, 2014 at 4:55 PM ]
I wouldn't mind giving up this year's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and next year's 1st to move up. This guy will set up over the edge on offense. A playmaker all the way.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
There's a thread on this already, but I and I don't think the 49ers either would give up their draft for one guy. Maybe if we already had our contract situation worked out Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, and all of the other key role players I could see us trading so many picks, but right now, we need those extra seconds, and thirds to replace veterans that will be retiring or be released. Also, keep in mind, unless we are going to become a passing team to take advantage of having talent like Crabtree and Watkins, why give up so many picks for a receiver if we will continue throwing the ball 25-30 times a game?

Because the Niners will probably need to beat Seattle in Seattle. Maybe with Watkins they'll throw it 40 times up there.

where does this sentiment come from? i've seen it from multiple posters since our season ended. they have a longer losing skid in sf than we have up there. i'll concede a split every year, so therefore it becomes about the other 14 games, not solely on 1 game in 1 stadium.
Because of the Seattle advantage at home, it is more than likely that the Niners will have to beat Seattle in Seattle to get to the SB. Therefore, there are 2 (two) games in Seattle.
It would take a miracle ... a real one.
There's a thread on this already, but I and I don't think the 49ers either would give up their draft for one guy. Maybe if we already had our contract situation worked out Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, and all of the other key role players I could see us trading so many picks, but right now, we need those extra seconds, and thirds to replace veterans that will be retiring or be released. Also, keep in mind, unless we are going to become a passing team to take advantage of having talent like Crabtree and Watkins, why give up so many picks for a receiver if we will continue throwing the ball 25-30 times a game?

Because the Niners will probably need to beat Seattle in Seattle. Maybe with Watkins they'll throw it 40 times up there.

The 49ers with no running game (except for Colin Kaepernick), limited in the passing game, minimal contributions from Vernon Davis, and three turnovers by Kaepernick were one pass away from beating Seattle in Seattle in the NFCCG.

Let's not treat this as if it's like our rivalry with Dallas in the 90s (which was one sided at first) or Green Bay in the 90s.
It is the rivalry of Dallas and Green Bay, it just hasn't lasted as long. But Seattle won the SB. They're the team to beat. They're in our division. Dallas and Green Bay were not.

Our offense was "limited" because Seattle's defense is damn good and our offense is spotty. And not just against Seattle. Kaepernick has consistently had his worst games against Seattle, particularly there. There's a reason. Two seasons ago, were one pass away from winning the SB and last season one pass from winning the NFC. Rather than going backwards, maybe we're really just one player away.

I'm not eager to trade the first three picks, but to put a starter like Ray McDonald in the deal. Also, I don't know if Watkins is the only guy who would get us by Seattle, but if he is, the FO should do it. But, I agree it's unlikely they will.
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Feb 13, 2014 at 6:01 PM ]
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Atlanta Falcons - Julio Jones
Washington - Santana Moss
Detroit Lions - Mike Williams
Miami Dolphins - Mike Wallace
Tampa Bay - Vincent Jackson

Teams that have traded a huge amount of draft picks or paid ridiculous dollars to select just one WR has done jack. Why would we follow in those footsteps?

On the flip-side, take a look at the draft status of the last several SuperBowl winning WRs...notice the common theme:

Golden Tate - 60th Overall
Doug Baldwin - Undrafted
Jermaine Kearse - Undrafted
Anquan Boldin - 54th Overall
Torrey Smith - 58th Overall
Jacoby Jones - 73rd Overall
Hakeem Nicks - 29th Overall
Victor Cruz - Undrafted
Mario Manningham - 95th Overall
Greg Jennings - 52nd Overall
Jordy Nelson - 36th Overall
James Jones - 78th Overall
Maques Colston - 252nd Overall
Lance Moore - Undrafted
Robert Meachem - 28th Overall
Plaxico Burress - 8th Overall
David Tyree - 211th Overall
Hines Ward - 92nd Overall
Santonio Holmes - 25th Overall
Limas Sweed - 53rd Overall
Marvin Harrison - 19th Overall
Reggie Wayne - 30th Overall
Antwaan Randle El - 62nd Overall
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
If you want to trade up from the low 1st round to the Top 8, you need to make sure the player you're going for is a once-in-a-lifetime player. IMHO Sammy Watkins is NOT a once in a lifetime player.

Originally posted by SaksV:

Teams that have traded a huge amount of draft picks or paid ridiculous dollars to select just one WR has done jack. Why would we follow in those footsteps?

On the flip-side, take a look at the draft status of the last several SuperBowl winning WRs...notice the common theme:

Doug Baldwin - Undrafted
Victor Cruz - Undrafted
Maques Colston - 252nd Overall
Lance Moore - Undrafted
Robert Meachem - 28th Overall
Plaxico Burress - 8th Overall
David Tyree - 211th Overall
Hines Ward - 92nd Overall
Santonio Holmes - 25th Overall
Limas Sweed - 53rd Overall
Marvin Harrison - 19th Overall
Reggie Wayne - 30th Overall
Antwaan Randle El - 62nd Overall

BECAUSE THE 9ERS SUK AT DRAFTING RECEIVERS. CRABS WAS GIFTED TO THEM IN 2009 BY DEM IDIOTS ACROSS THE WAY,EVEN THEN IT WAS #9 BY DEFAULT
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
BECAUSE THE 9ERS SUK AT DRAFTING RECEIVERS. CRABS WAS GIFTED TO THEM IN 2009 BY DEM IDIOTS ACROSS THE WAY,EVEN THEN IT WAS #9 BY DEFAULT

Crabs was 10th Overall.... I wouldn't say the 49ers suck at drafting WRs, I'd say they're not very good at utilizing whatever WRs they have.
Besides Boldin and Crabs, no WR that comes here has done much of anything. Crabtree was the first 1,000-yard receiver in over a decade.
If you think about it, the only WR that was expected to make an impact (due to draft position) has been AJ Jenkins. Other than him, the 49ers haven't taken a WR very high at all. K-Dubb was a 6th rounder, so was Ron Johnson and Josh Morgan. I don't even expect 6th rounders to make the 53-Man Roster let alone contribute.

So, the 49ers could go ahead and trade up to #1 and draft a 27 year old Jerry Rice, it won't matter if they won't utilize him properly. I'm hoping things change and Quinton Patton has a breakout season.
[ Edited by SaksV on Feb 13, 2014 at 7:39 PM ]

The 49ers with no running game (except for Colin Kaepernick), limited in the passing game, minimal contributions from Vernon Davis, and three turnovers by Kaepernick were one pass away from beating Seattle in Seattle in the NFCCG.

Let's not treat this as if it's like our rivalry with Dallas in the 90s (which was one sided at first) or Green Bay in the 90s.
It is the rivalry of Dallas and Green Bay, it just hasn't lasted as long. But Seattle won the SB. They're the team to beat. They're in our division. Dallas and Green Bay were not.

Our offense was "limited" because Seattle's defense is damn good and our offense is spotty. And not just against Seattle. Kaepernick has consistently had his worst games against Seattle, particularly there. There's a reason. Two seasons ago, were one pass away from winning the SB and last season one pass from winning the NFC. Rather than going backwards, maybe we're really just one player away.

I'm not eager to trade the first three picks, but to put a starter like Ray McDonald in the deal. Also, I don't know if Watkins is the only guy who would get us by Seattle, but if he is, the FO should do it. But, I agree it's unlikely they will.

The point I was making with the comment is that the gap is not THAT far between us and Seattle. When Dallas had our number, they really had our number. We could do virtually nothing against Green Bay. The gap between us and Seattle isn't that wide, therefore I don't think we need to make such a drastic move (basically giving up the draft) to get past them. We need a slight change in philosophy and some speed on offense and we're fine. And again, we need to have some talented players on rookie deals that will give us some flexibility in case our next crop of free agents contract demands are too high (Culliver, Miller, Hunter, etc), and for depth. I'd rather have multiple options as insurance against injury as well.
Don't know if already posted-
Would you take this trade back??
http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2014/2/9/5394628/would-you-take-this-trade-back
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Feb 13, 2014 at 9:36 PM ]
Originally posted by SaksV:

Doug Baldwin - Undrafted
Victor Cruz - Undrafted