LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Sammy Watkins- what would it take to move up?

Search function is your friend.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
He's the only player that is a complete game changer in this draft offensively...

he's probably going to go top 5-7 picks

what does it take to move up that far? this is what the falcons gave up to move up for Julio Jones who as we all know has been a game changer for the falcons and matt ryan

They surrendered their own first-round pick (27), a second-rounder (59) and a fourth-rounder (124) this year, plus a first-rounder and a fourth-rounder next year to move up from 27th pick to 6th pick to get Julio.

They normally say 2 2nd rd picks this year equate to a 1st rd pick in following year.

Would you give up #30 and our 2 2nd rd picks plus a 4th rd pick to move up for Sammy Watkins?

That'd leave us with 2 3rd rd picks and possibly another 3rd rd pick as compensatory

About 4 or 5 potentially quality players.

Atlanta had to give up 2 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder and 2 4th rounders.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Ya think? LOL Do we already have 1 or 2 on this already.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
There's a thread on this already, but I and I don't think the 49ers either would give up their draft for one guy. Maybe if we already had our contract situation worked out Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, and all of the other key role players I could see us trading so many picks, but right now, we need those extra seconds, and thirds to replace veterans that will be retiring or be released. Also, keep in mind, unless we are going to become a passing team to take advantage of having talent like Crabtree and Watkins, why give up so many picks for a receiver if we will continue throwing the ball 25-30 times a game?

As I've said before, Atlanta lost that trade. They picked up an exceptional receiver and it cost them potentially 4 defensive starters plus an explosive receiver in Torrey Smith. They have won nothing with Jones and now have to discuss a monster extension with him when they are already paying Roddy White and Matt Ryan a s**tload of money. Would you pick them as a Top 3 team in the NFC next season? I wouldn't.
Originally posted by TX9R:
This type of situation is what hamstrung Atlanta when they got Julio Jones and had no depth once guys got hurt becasue they traded all their picks. We already wasted one draft in 2012.

really? atlanta never had a good defense or OL or running game..julio jones made that entire offense go the year b4 also w/ what he made defenses do

i did search sammy watkins and didn't see any thread when i did it unless i spelled his name wrong

i did search sammy watkins and didn't see any thread when i did it unless i spelled his name wrong

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/175323-sammy-watkins-wr-clemson/
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
The problem with busting your load on 1 player (especially the WR position) is if that guy gets injured, you get nothing from this draft year 1 essentially, and his salary will be relatively high.

Having a top WR is a luxury but not necessary. Teams get better building up the O-line and D-line as well as having a top QB. Teams who bust for WRs or RBs are likely to lose (see Detroit lions, Clev Browns). Even look at Atlanta. Julio is a great player. He has injuries, and ATL was strapped of draft picks AND salary cap room to beer up the O-line and defense. Result - even with Julio putting up sick numbers to start this season, they were losing games.

In fantasy land we all want 49ers to draft the top WR or RB every year so we can buy his jersey LOL
Using ATL is kinda of a bad example. Jones contract isn't outrageous. It was Matt Ryan's contract that hurt their cap. And their whole team was riddled with injury. They have been great since getting Julio. Not to mention White was down as well. And were one play away from being in the super bowl the in 12/13. They can easily bounce back after one bad year.

There are 4 threads on him including a trade up thread already. http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/176755-trade-get-sammy-watkins/
I'm not a big fan of the search feature it's not that reliable but in this case found the threads. I think you have to be dead on, its picky.

As for trading up for him it would be similar to the Falcons trade up for Julio Jones. Would it be worth it for us? Only way I would consider it is if either we planned on not re-signing Crabtree or not re-signing Boldin. Just doesn't make sense if Crabtree is around long term and Boldin will be around 2-3 more years. We don't use our #3 enough to have all 3 of those guys unless it was just 1 year until Crabtree or Boldin left. It might put us over the top but in these long run it might hurt us because we could probably get 4 or so quality players for the price of one Watkins. I don't know, we don't throw the ball that much anyways. I guess it depends on what we give up. If we can stick to our 1st plus 2nds and 3rds this year then maybe but if we start talking a 1st and/or 2nd next year then no way. I wouldn't hate it especially if they don't plan on or think they can re-sign Crabtree long term (say Boldin is back) but I'm not necessarily for it either. Normally I'd say no just get a WR or CB in the 1st, the other in the 2nd... maybe a SS or C and build for the future. That being said maybe it is time to go big or go home. Get us a piece that can put us over the top. I'm sick of being so close and not getting #6. Maybe Watkins is that guy but even if we get him Roman probably wouldn't use him anyways and it might not put us over the top. That all being said I just don't see it happening anyways. It's not Baalke's style.
i dont' see them paying crabtree $10-12m/yr deal he'll be looking for...he's had injuries and he isn't in that elite category of game changing wr so i don't think he'll be worth that price

as for watkins he has the ability to be in tha elite level, its rare you see that type of combination of speed/acceleration/size/hands..

As much as I want Watkins, the history of these types of trades says it's probably not wise. Think we got too many wholes to fill.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
There are 4 threads on him including a trade up thread already. http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/176755-trade-get-sammy-watkins/
I'm not a big fan of the search feature it's not that reliable but in this case found the threads. I think you have to be dead on, its picky.

As for trading up for him it would be similar to the Falcons trade up for Julio Jones. Would it be worth it for us? Only way I would consider it is if either we planned on not re-signing Crabtree or not re-signing Boldin. Just doesn't make sense if Crabtree is around long term and Boldin will be around 2-3 more years. We don't use our #3 enough to have all 3 of those guys unless it was just 1 year until Crabtree or Boldin left. It might put us over the top but in these long run it might hurt us because we could probably get 4 or so quality players for the price of one Watkins. I don't know, we don't throw the ball that much anyways. I guess it depends on what we give up. If we can stick to our 1st plus 2nds and 3rds this year then maybe but if we start talking a 1st and/or 2nd next year then no way. I wouldn't hate it especially if they don't plan on or think they can re-sign Crabtree long term (say Boldin is back) but I'm not necessarily for it either. Normally I'd say no just get a WR or CB in the 1st, the other in the 2nd... maybe a SS or C and build for the future. That being said maybe it is time to go big or go home. Get us a piece that can put us over the top. I'm sick of being so close and not getting #6. Maybe Watkins is that guy but even if we get him Roman probably wouldn't use him anyways and it might not put us over the top. That all being said I just don't see it happening anyways. It's not Baalke's style.
I can see the value of trading up for him if we think we can't resign Boldin or Crabtree, plus he would be more cap friendly. We have not done well drafting WR in low end of the first, so getting a great one in the top 10 (like Crabtree) may be the best way to ensure we get a playmaker.
The reason I would be surprised if the Niners spend all three of their first picks on one player is that this draft is very heavy with wide receivers and they also need a corner and a safety. I think their first three picks are a receiver, a corner and then a safety, with a couple more receivers coming after that.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
There's a thread on this already, but I and I don't think the 49ers either would give up their draft for one guy. Maybe if we already had our contract situation worked out Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, and all of the other key role players I could see us trading so many picks, but right now, we need those extra seconds, and thirds to replace veterans that will be retiring or be released. Also, keep in mind, unless we are going to become a passing team to take advantage of having talent like Crabtree and Watkins, why give up so many picks for a receiver if we will continue throwing the ball 25-30 times a game?

As I've said before, Atlanta lost that trade. They picked up an exceptional receiver and it cost them potentially 4 defensive starters plus an explosive receiver in Torrey Smith. They have won nothing with Jones and now have to discuss a monster extension with him when they are already paying Roddy White and Matt Ryan a s**tload of money. Would you pick them as a Top 3 team in the NFC next season? I wouldn't.

100% agree with this. Atlanta lost and so did the redskins. I think teams won't be willing to invest so many high picks into 1 player anymore. Julio is one hell of a player but not worth handicapping their defense with less draft picks. RG3 and Julio getting hurt made the trade even worse. Would you rather have 3-4 quality players or an all-star is what it boils down to. I doubt the 49ers move up that high for sammy because that's not their MO but I do think they should try to get as many draft picks in the 1st 3 rounds as possible. There's too much talent on this team to draft so many players. But the more players you draft the better chance you have at finding a gem. I hope they draft around 10 players and move up and down the board to get a pick or 2 next year and get the players they're targetting.
I find it funny how so many 49er fans talk about trading up for Sammy.

Do any of you that have draft crushes on this kid realize he caught 59%
of his passes on designed screens! Now put on your 49er thinking cap
and think about that??? Now do you understand why he has no chance of
being a 49er?

The 49ers and screens don't go together. The only way this kid is playing for
us is if he slides down to pick 30.

To be honest given the 59% statistic I am unsure I would even draft him. He doesn't
fit our scheme.
Share 49ersWebzone