LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Sammy Watkins- what would it take to move up?

He's the only player that is a complete game changer in this draft offensively...

he's probably going to go top 5-7 picks

what does it take to move up that far? this is what the falcons gave up to move up for Julio Jones who as we all know has been a game changer for the falcons and matt ryan

They surrendered their own first-round pick (27), a second-rounder (59) and a fourth-rounder (124) this year, plus a first-rounder and a fourth-rounder next year to move up from 27th pick to 6th pick to get Julio.

They normally say 2 2nd rd picks this year equate to a 1st rd pick in following year.

Would you give up #30 and our 2 2nd rd picks plus a 4th rd pick to move up for Sammy Watkins?

That'd leave us with 2 3rd rd picks and possibly another 3rd rd pick as compensatory
watkins can also punt/kick return....
There's a thread on this already, but I and I don't think the 49ers either would give up their draft for one guy. Maybe if we already had our contract situation worked out Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, and all of the other key role players I could see us trading so many picks, but right now, we need those extra seconds, and thirds to replace veterans that will be retiring or be released. Also, keep in mind, unless we are going to become a passing team to take advantage of having talent like Crabtree and Watkins, why give up so many picks for a receiver if we will continue throwing the ball 25-30 times a game?
Trading a starter, such as Ray McDonald with picks might make it realistic. I'd suggest Iupati rather than McDonald, but if Goodwin is replaced, then I'd rather not see the Niners trying to replace two starters on the OL.
two 7th rounders should do it
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
There's a thread on this already, but I and I don't think the 49ers either would give up their draft for one guy. Maybe if we already had our contract situation worked out Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, and all of the other key role players I could see us trading so many picks, but right now, we need those extra seconds, and thirds to replace veterans that will be retiring or be released. Also, keep in mind, unless we are going to become a passing team to take advantage of having talent like Crabtree and Watkins, why give up so many picks for a receiver if we will continue throwing the ball 25-30 times a game?

because it would completely change the way defenses play us...same reason seattle gave up all that for harvin even though they run 60% of the time

and ur right ideally u want to stack ur roster instead but we cut 3 draft picks last yr and we still have a deep roster and a few draft picks from last yr were red shirted

moving up w/ something comparable to what the falcons did for julio still leaves us w/ 3 3rd rd picks in this deep draft...

its a deep draft but i think he's the only game changer out there on offense, that speed/acceleration/size combination is elite wr type
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Trading a starter, such as Ray McDonald with picks might make it realistic. I'd suggest Iupati rather than McDonald, but if Goodwin is replaced, then I'd rather not see the Niners trying to replace two starters on the OL.

no one wants players they want picks

Because the Niners will probably need to beat Seattle in Seattle. Maybe with Watkins they'll throw it 40 times up there.
Originally posted by iLL49er:

no one wants players they want picks
The teams at the top of the draft list want and need as many better starters as possible.
Originally posted by crabman82:
two 7th rounders should do it

lol i wish

• TX9R
  • Veteran
This type of situation is what hamstrung Atlanta when they got Julio Jones and had no depth once guys got hurt becasue they traded all their picks. We already wasted one draft in 2012.

Because the Niners will probably need to beat Seattle in Seattle. Maybe with Watkins they'll throw it 40 times up there.

where does this sentiment come from? i've seen it from multiple posters since our season ended. they have a longer losing skid in sf than we have up there. i'll concede a split every year, so therefore it becomes about the other 14 games, not solely on 1 game in 1 stadium.
The problem with busting your load on 1 player (especially the WR position) is if that guy gets injured, you get nothing from this draft year 1 essentially, and his salary will be relatively high.

Having a top WR is a luxury but not necessary. Teams get better building up the O-line and D-line as well as having a top QB. Teams who bust for WRs or RBs are likely to lose (see Detroit lions, Clev Browns). Even look at Atlanta. Julio is a great player. He has injuries, and ATL was strapped of draft picks AND salary cap room to beer up the O-line and defense. Result - even with Julio putting up sick numbers to start this season, they were losing games.

In fantasy land we all want 49ers to draft the top WR or RB every year so we can buy his jersey LOL
Originally posted by iLL49er:

because it would completely change the way defenses play us...same reason seattle gave up all that for harvin even though they run 60% of the time

and ur right ideally u want to stack ur roster instead but we cut 3 draft picks last yr and we still have a deep roster and a few draft picks from last yr were red shirted

moving up w/ something comparable to what the falcons did for julio still leaves us w/ 3 3rd rd picks in this deep draft...

its a deep draft but i think he's the only game changer out there on offense, that speed/acceleration/size combination is elite wr type

I totally get your logic, but we cut 7th round picks, not 2nd or 3rd rounders which is what we would be trading to move up. However, I think that same thing can be accomplished by having a deep threat period, whether it be Odell Beckham or Robert Herron who they wouldn't have to move up for in the draft, and still be able to add playmakers on the defensive side of the ball like LaMarcus Joyner, Dominique Easley (redshirted lol), and more receiving depth. We'd basically have a full team where if we had an injury problem like we did last year, our passing offense won't look like something out of the 1970s or worse, a HS offense.

The 49ers with no running game (except for Colin Kaepernick), limited in the passing game, minimal contributions from Vernon Davis, and three turnovers by Kaepernick were one pass away from beating Seattle in Seattle in the NFCCG.

Let's not treat this as if it's like our rivalry with Dallas in the 90s (which was one sided at first) or Green Bay in the 90s.
Share 49ersWebzone