There are 86 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Missing key ingredient to beating seattle and just becoming a better team overall!!!

Firstly, I am not saying this is how we beat seattle just that it is a key factor to take into consideration. If you remember Harbaughs first year as the niners head coach, you should also remember that we beat seattle twice that year. What we had then that we do not have now is a kick/punt returner that is a LEGITIMATE threat to take it to the house. Ted Ginn back then had great speed and was our dangerous weapon on special teams that if he didn't return it he always put us in good field position with nice returns which is crucial in any close game. Now, I know we have Lamichael James, but he is not anything close to the threat I thought he would be coming out of college. He looked so much faster in his college tape but I guess his speed did not translate to the nfl well or he is just getting slower as he bulks up. I think he can be useful as a RB, but he is no way a threat to take a kickoff/punt to the house.

My suggestion is this. A lot of Mocks have DeAnthony Thomas and Dri Archer going between rounds 5-7 due to their size and their potential use as a "specialty" player only. Well, since these type of players are injury prone like tavon austin and percy harvin, why not draft both of them if they are still their in the late rounds. This would give us incredible speed in the return game and we would finally have a threat ready to return some for a touchdown. If we can find a way to use them on offense that's a plus, but I am happy having them be specialty players and only be returners. Plus, since they both would be competing against each other, they would push each other harder. Does this seem feesible or unlikely since the coaching staff seems to like versatile players that play more than one position?
There is potential for Kickoff returns, but if Jon Ryan is still punting in 2013 form it almost eliminates any possible punt returns. Jon Ryan has short high kicks (only averaging 42.7 yards, ranked 29th in distance), that allowed the special teams to force fair catch calls. There was only 82 return yards made in 74 punts with 21 attempted returns averaging 3.9 yards per return (ranked 2nd). I don't see the 49'ers putting that much focus on Special Teams when considering game plans against the Seahawks. But of course there is always potential for a big play on any given day.

The Cardinals were ranked #1, only allowing 2.9 yards per punt return.

I think a bigger impact on Seattle would be eliminating Penalties and Turnovers. The 49ers had 1 turnover (INT) in the game they won 19-17 against Seattle, while they had 3 Turnovers (2 INT's, 1 Fumble (3 total, 1 lost) in the (23-17 loss) NFCCG, and in the first game (29-3 loss) there was 5 turnovers (3 INT's, 2 Fumbles (2-2 lost).

Defensive Penalties vs Seattle in 19-17 win was 3 penalties for 30 yards. While the losses were 5 penalties for 55 yards in the NFCCG, and 6 Penalties for 81 yards in the 29-3 loss in Seattle.

Seattle is opportunistic, and if teams are able to reduce turnovers while also eliminating personal fouls, unsportsmanlike conduct, unnecessary roughness, and taunting penalties, then Seattle would be in a much worse situation every game.
[ Edited by dave_n_ruth on Feb 12, 2014 at 2:09 AM ]
hold constantly and take pills
Originally posted by xtm059:
hold constantly and take pills

This only for some reason WE seem to always get called when we do anything wrong (except against the Panthers in playoffs) Our guys simply can't grab all game like Sherman, We would draw the penalty everytime. Not being a downer but it seems to be true. Then again We don't need to cheat to win
[ Edited by tmpluff on Feb 12, 2014 at 6:45 AM ]
Seahawks team of 2011 was a vastly different team from 2012 and 2013.
Originally posted by dave_n_ruth:
There is potential for Kickoff returns, but if Jon Ryan is still punting in 2013 form it almost eliminates any possible punt returns. Jon Ryan has short high kicks (only averaging 42.7 yards, ranked 29th in distance), that allowed the special teams to force fair catch calls. There was only 82 return yards made in 74 punts with 21 attempted returns averaging 3.9 yards per return (ranked 2nd). I don't see the 49'ers putting that much focus on Special Teams when considering game plans against the Seahawks. But of course there is always potential for a big play on any given day.

The Cardinals were ranked #1, only allowing 2.9 yards per punt return.

I think a bigger impact on Seattle would be eliminating Penalties and Turnovers. The 49ers had 1 turnover (INT) in the game they won 19-17 against Seattle, while they had 3 Turnovers (2 INT's, 1 Fumble (3 total, 1 lost) in the (23-17 loss) NFCCG, and in the first game (29-3 loss) there was 5 turnovers (3 INT's, 2 Fumbles (2-2 lost).

Defensive Penalties vs Seattle in 19-17 win was 3 penalties for 30 yards. While the losses were 5 penalties for 55 yards in the NFCCG, and 6 Penalties for 81 yards in the 29-3 loss in Seattle.

Seattle is opportunistic, and if teams are able to reduce turnovers while also eliminating personal fouls, unsportsmanlike conduct, unnecessary roughness, and taunting penalties, then Seattle would be in a much worse situation every game.

Yup exactly. I definitely agree with the OP though that it would be very nice to upgrade the return man position. We were so good in field position when we had Ted Ginn. We need someone with that homerun threat type of ability. Hell I would even be in favor of Ginn back in SF. But yeah, if Seattle's punter and coverage teams play like they did this past year, it almost doesn't matter who is back there as you basically rarely ever get an opportunity for a return.
If we had a smarter ST coaches that wouldn't put guys with concussion symptoms like Kyle Williams out there to field punts in windy/sloppy conditions at Candlestick we'd be fine...and James is your best option? Really? Or instruct guys like Andy Lee and Phil Dawson that if they need to kick it lower DO IT but KICK THE DAMN BALL OUT OF THE BACK OF THE EZ and make them go 80 yards on our defense! Stop effing kicking off/punting to dynamic returners that have MURDERED us in the playoffs. Period.
This has been talked to death, but it's one issue you can look at which is almost beyond dispute - the only way to force Seattle out of their favorite defensive formation where they have just one safety, Earl Thomas, deep is to have another receiver on the outside who has serious, elite speed. They simply can't play that formation if they have to worry about the outside AND V. Davis running up the middle. And if they can't use that formation, they don't get to have Chancellor up close to the line acting as another linebacker and ruining short crossing routes - not to mention his help with the running defense.

Now, if this outside guy with elite speed is also a returner, that takes care of both issues.
[ Edited by crake49 on Feb 12, 2014 at 9:01 AM ]
To beat SEA, improve the Oline. Their CBs might be able to grab and hold 7-8 yards down the field, but not 10 yards down the field. Give Kap time to scan and give the WRs time to eventually break free from the CB's holding. When they rush 4, the 49ers have to be able to handle it with 5 OL blocking while sending out 5 route runners, no extra blockers.

Yeah, improve the kick/punt return game, that won't hurt.
Threads about players we should draft belong in the draft forum.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Seahawks team of 2011 was a vastly different team from 2012 and 2013.

Rusell Wlson completed them.
Not giving the ball up. That's it. We had them at our house, and I think the CLink curse is OVER. We fought off terrible calls and a belligerent, trashy 12th man and still took them to the wire. Wilson has been exposed as a one trick qb. A game manager at best, and an underperformer against a good defense or even a good defensive facet. Despite our problems in our secondary it was still a close game. Learning to hold won't work, as we'll get called. It seems only Seattle was granted a free pass in the illegal contact/holding department. We need to stop beating ourselves.
we need to set the tone early. vernon needs to knock kam on his butt on the very first offensive play
Seattle isn't that far ahead of the 49ers. It took an underthrown ball by Kaepernick for them to finally put the 49ers away.

The 49ers need to spend some serious attention on their secondary. Rogers and Whitner were great additions in 2011... but they have declined each year and now we just find ourselves hoping they don't screw up... again.

If you think of the last two games against Seattle it was always the secondary that broke down and let Seattle make the big play to score. It won't be easy but if they replace Rogers and Whitner with younger and faster guys with of course the talent to be starters in the NFL... it will change a lot of things for the 49ers.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
*Artificial crowd noise into the speakers?
*Banning ticket sales to Washington residents?
*Holding every play?
*Running into receivers running their patterns then throwing up your hands like "My bad bro didn't see you"?
*Ped's?
[ Edited by 9er2k on Feb 12, 2014 at 11:49 AM ]