There are 163 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2014 Draft a NT

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Another question is, do we really want that traditional 3-4 NT-type of guy? As fans, we keep wishing for that 330+ pound, 2-gap type of guy, but that's not necessarily the type of NT that this staff seems to look for. They seem perfectly happy with 300 pounders with strength and movement skills.
Ghost,
Your opinion as usual is well considered. But consider this. The Niners have two kinds of opponents, Seattle and the rest of the NFL. Stopping the Seahawks is a fundamental issue now. That means first stopping Lynch. We may not need a top flight NT through most of the season, but against Seattle, we do.

There's always a danger of overreaction. Lynch didn't fare all that well against us in the regular season...in the first game, though he had 98 yards, it took 28 carries (3.5 yards per carry). I can live with that.

In the second game, he only rushed for 72 yards...again, that's more than acceptable to me.

Yes, in the NFCCG he did rush for 109 yards, but that 40 yard TD run accounted for a large chunk and even that was a perfect storm of trouble for us. Specifically in that situation, our d-line slanted down to the left where the run started, but Lynch cut back to his left through Justin Smith's vacated hole. Dorsey actually holds the point fairly well, shedding a block and in position to make a stop right at the line of scrimmage if Lynch would've run it up the middle.

In fact, because the middle was clogged, Lynch bounced it to the left...Bowman got caught up in the wash leaving only Eric Reid to make a play. Reid actually had a perfect angle to tackle him for just a 7 yard gain, but Lynch (to his good fortune and our ruin) ran into the butt of his lineman and that bounced him back to his right causing Reid to overrun him. The rest is history.

Though I hear what you're saying, I don't think it's wise to change things up once you take a deeper look at our overall performance against Lynch.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Another question is, do we really want that traditional 3-4 NT-type of guy? As fans, we keep wishing for that 330+ pound, 2-gap type of guy, but that's not necessarily the type of NT that this staff seems to look for. They seem perfectly happy with 300 pounders with strength and movement skills.
Ghost,
Your opinion as usual is well considered. But consider this. The Niners have two kinds of opponents, Seattle and the rest of the NFL. Stopping the Seahawks is a fundamental issue now. That means first stopping Lynch. We may not need a top flight NT through most of the season, but against Seattle, we do.

There's always a danger of overreaction. Lynch didn't fare all that well against us in the regular season...in the first game, though he had 98 yards, it took 28 carries (3.5 yards per carry). I can live with that.

In the second game, he only rushed for 72 yards...again, that's more than acceptable to me.

Yes, in the NFCCG he did rush for 109 yards, but that 40 yard TD run accounted for a large chunk and even that was a perfect storm of trouble for us. Specifically in that situation, our d-line slanted down to the left where the run started, but Lynch cut back to his left through Justin Smith's vacated hole. Dorsey actually holds the point fairly well, shedding a block and in position to make a stop right at the line of scrimmage if Lynch would've run it up the middle.

In fact, because the middle was clogged, Lynch bounced it to the left...Bowman got caught up in the wash leaving only Eric Reid to make a play. Reid actually had a perfect angle to tackle him for just a 7 yard gain, but Lynch (to his good fortune and our ruin) ran into the butt of his lineman and that bounced him back to his right causing Reid to overrun him. The rest is history.

Though I hear what you're saying, I don't think it's wise to change things up once you take a deeper look at our overall performance against Lynch.

Good points.

The last two games that we lost in Seattle were more because of our mistakes than anything else.

Our run defense has not been the problem. Our offensive turnovers and break downs in pass coverage have been much more critical.

This year we blitzed Willis and Bowman successfully--and in my estimation part of the that success has been the result of the disruption caused by our undersized nose tackles.

I would use a pick in this drat to find another defensive end to apprentice behind Justin Smith and Ray McDonald.
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for JamesGatz83.
Originally posted by matt49er:
The 49ers play a true NT less than 50% of the snaps and already have Dorsey (who had a great year) and Ian Williams (who was starting over Dorsey b4 he got hurt) plus we have Q.Dial. Zero need for a NT.

This guy gets it. If I remember correctly from last year, we only used our NT on around 30% of the snaps.

Plus, we have Ian Williams coming back and Quinton Dial will have another year under his belt. We're fine at NT and DL as a whole really.
As long as we don't draft McCullers out of Tennessee, I will be OK.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
As long as we don't draft McCullers out of Tennessee, I will be OK.

I 2nd this !!!!!!!!
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I think Williams and Dial can hold the fort. I think Dorsey goes back into the DE rotation.

Wow, really? Dorsey did a great job for us as a starter; what would be the point of moving him to DE? Seems to me the ideal scenario is to start Dorsey, have Williams give him a breather now and again and have Dial be the backup guy along the line (DE/DT/NT).

McDonald - Dorsey - JSmith
TJE - Williams - Tank
Dial
Just thinking in terms of the fact that Dorsey struggled on the interior his whole career except last year. I just think he's a better DE than DT. Williams might be the better DT and why he was the starter. I wouldn't have any issue starting Dorsey though.

I think if Dorsey was a better DE, he would've still been in Kansas City. He did well at NT and I think will be the starter next season.

KC moved him to DE b/c he was terrible on the interior. They tried him there when they ran 4-3 and 3-4. Then they moved him to DE where he played much much better. Before the move to DE dude was considered a bust. He probably still is considered a bust to most KC fans. Dude was a monster coming out of LSU and labeled the next Warren Sapp. Change of scenery, harder work ethic, and better coaching could have changed that. Thus why he played well for them this year. But I don't think he did an outstanding job to the point that Williams shoulnd't be inserted back to his job if 10o%. He was solid. .

I remember the hype coming out. I honestly do not remember Kansas City running a 4-3 during his time there. I could be wrong, but when did they run a 4-3?
Originally posted by matt49er:
The 49ers play a true NT less than 50% of the snaps and already have Dorsey (who had a great year) and Ian Williams (who was starting over Dorsey b4 he got hurt) plus we have Q.Dial. Zero need for a NT.

Summed it up, right there.
I would wait until a Haloti Ngata type NT comes is in the draft and move up and nab him.

49ers have Ian Williams who was starting over Dorsey until he got injured, they also have Quinton Dial.

3 Nose Tackles, 2 of whom are signed until 2015, while Dorsey is a free agent after the 2014 season.