There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jimmy Ward

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
CBS has Ward listed as their top SS and gong in the 2nd round, while Walter Football mocks him at #80. I would certainly be happy if he's drafted by the niners...though I like the Walter mock taking Loston in the 2nd. Funny that CBS rates Ward and Buchanon ahead of Loston, but mocks have Loston going before them...always so confusing this time of year! LOL! Would be happy with any of them. Loston and Buchanon are a couple inches taller and heavier, but I'm not sure that matters in the grand scheme...all are listed in the average to high range for SS.

How bout that? CBS had Ward a good bit lower (4th rd?) just a day or two ago. How things can change suddenly in their evaluations.

I'd be content with Loston in the late 2nd/3rd rd... less thrilled with Buchannon... and both have limitations in coverage, imho.

  • pfizz
  • Member
  • Posts: 171
yeah this guy is climbing rankings fast. i also noticed that CBS put him at 1 when they had him lower a couple days ago.
I think there are at least half a dozen better S (for the Niners) in this draft...guys who're bigger, stronger and as fast/faster. I'm talking about Ha Ha Dixon, Calvin Pryor, Dion Bailey, Deone Bucannon, Craig Loston, Ed Reynolds, etc. You also have to look at where Ward played and against their competition (NIU). It's not at the same level as Alabama, Louisville, USC, WSU, LSU & Stanford. The size thing will be an issue in the NFL...you just don't see many 190 lb SS's.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
CBS has Ward listed as their top SS and gong in the 2nd round, while Walter Football mocks him at #80. I would certainly be happy if he's drafted by the niners...though I like the Walter mock taking Loston in the 2nd. Funny that CBS rates Ward and Buchanon ahead of Loston, but mocks have Loston going before them...always so confusing this time of year! LOL! Would be happy with any of them. Loston and Buchanon are a couple inches taller and heavier, but I'm not sure that matters in the grand scheme...all are listed in the average to high range for SS.

Walter Football doesnt compare to CBS when it comes to evaluation of prospects. It is highly doubtful that Ward gets into the 3rd round.
big fan of Ward. i feel like he fits well in our backfield, but i still rank Lamarcus Joyner over him.
Originally posted by lamontb:
maybe i'm missing something but why in the world you love for him to be drafted by KC? He is a beast though. Really good prosepct. He seems to have great coverage skills too.

I think this means that he has two favorite teams which is OK because even Harbaugh said it is ok? So, its O.K.. OK?
O.K.
Originally posted by pfizz:
yeah this guy is climbing rankings fast. i also noticed that CBS put him at 1 when they had him lower a couple days ago.

Scouts Inc has him up to 3rd in their rankings, he was like 10th just a few weeks ago. The hype is getting a little wacky, hoping he doesn't wind up being another Cyprien.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 11, 2014 at 2:54 PM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
maybe i'm missing something but why in the world you love for him to be drafted by KC? He is a beast though. Really good prosepct. He seems to have great coverage skills too.

Harbaalke traded Mr.Mcgibblets to KC for a 2013 2nd and a 2014 conditional 3rd (became a 2nd).
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Harbaalke traded Mr.Mcgibblets to KC for a 2013 2nd and a 2014 conditional 3rd (became a 2nd).




Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Walter Football doesnt compare to CBS when it comes to evaluation of prospects. It is highly doubtful that Ward gets into the 3rd round.

I take all with a grain of sand but the cumulative more seriously. There are about five sites I read fairly often and enjoy, mostly due to the professionalism of their websites and writing...LOL...less based on their accuracy over the years. I figure the critics will take care of the really inaccurate guys. None of these sites will be accurate to a high degree...like 20% of their first round placements. Just isn't that type of exercise.

The sites I try to avoid are the ones that don't have the correct needs for each team. That should be a lot easier and a product of group think. Baalke will fool them at times by taking the best player over a great need, but if they can't even read other sites and figure out what's needed it's sad. An example are the sites that have the niners picking a TE and OLB with their first or second round picks. I'm sure Baalke will take one if a stellar guy falls to them but other than that? Not a drastic need.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
How bout that? CBS had Ward a good bit lower (4th rd?) just a day or two ago. How things can change suddenly in their evaluations.

I'd be content with Loston in the late 2nd/3rd rd... less thrilled with Buchannon... and both have limitations in coverage, imho.


Good morning mac!
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,610
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
You also have to look at where Ward played and against their competition (NIU). It's not at the same level as Alabama, Louisville, USC, WSU, LSU & Stanford.

Although you have to consider where Ward played and the level of competition he faced, a higher level of college competition does not automatically mean that a player will be better in the NFL.

At this point, I think that Ward will be the best overall safety available for the 49ers in the second or third round.

His ball skills are great and he seems to be a good tackler.

I want ball skills and good tackling more than I want the "big hits."
Another comment on Ward's coverage skills, from Matt Miller's 01/30 article (about halfway down, under a section called "The Scout's Report"):

— Jimmie Ward impressed scouts in attendance for the Senior Bowl, and word from one AFC West team is that he's the "best coverage safety" in this year's group.


Link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1940833-2014-nfl-draft-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-for-the-super-bowl#articles/1940833-2014-nfl-draft-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-for-the-super-bowl

(Also note the last blurb/comment in that section about the Niners' FO focusing on WR as the team's primary need)