There are 208 users in the forums

QB Mettenberger vs. QB Murray

Say it's around the 4th Rd. and both of these QBs are still available...the Niners look at their board and decide they're going to pick a QB here...assuming Mettenberger and Murray are the two best QBs left (and, say they're recovering well from their knee injuries), which QB would you go with? I know they're two very different QBs. To back up Kap and have another good, young QB for the future, do you go with the big, strong-armed pocket passer like Mettenberger (who some compare to Big Ben) or do you go with Murray, who may be a little smaller (though still above 6 ft.) but has the leadership intangibles you want in a QB, has good mobility, and whom some say has the "it" factor?

(First Sunday without football...am already missing it and looking forward to next season...draft can't get here fast enough but still is three months away...am bored).
Mettenberger. He has the better arm and size. Murray has small hands and is limited in stature.
Originally posted by RumorHasIt:
Mettenberger. He has the better arm and size. Murray has small hands and is limited in stature.

Before his injury, I was very impressed with Mettenberger with the way he stood tall in the pocket, hung in there, and threw ropes to his two good WRs. He did this against some tough competition like Alabama, etc. But Murray is also extremely impressive but just a different type of QB. Don't know if either of these two would last past the 3rd Rd., though - their injuries could scare some teams off.
Aaron Murray- he fits the 49ers mold regarding their QB's. 49ers don't have the deep threats at WR to play to the strengths of Mettenberger. Mettenberger is also one of the slowest QB's not just in his draft, but the past few drafts. He's a statue back there. Also like Aaron Murray's moxie and experience as a 4 year starter in a Pro style offense.

Jeff Garcia 2.0
[ Edited by Garlicboy on Feb 9, 2014 at 5:56 PM ]
Aaron Murray. Mettenberger is good but I think Aaron Murray is the ideal choice at this point of the draft because you know what you will get, a smaller Alex Smith. Mettenberger, on the other hand, could be the next Drew Bledsoe or the next Ryan Leaf (in terms of playing ability). I also like Murray's pocket mobility, where as Mettenberger is a statue.
Originally posted by MikeRumph:
Aaron Murray. Mettenberger is good but I think Aaron Murray is the ideal choice at this point of the draft because you know what you will get, a smaller Alex Smith. Mettenberger, on the other hand, could be the next Drew Bledsoe or the next Ryan Leaf (in terms of playing ability). I also like Murray's pocket mobility, where as Mettenberger is a statue.

Does Mettenberger have any type of mobility/escapability (like Big Ben has a little) to get away and get positive yards/get a short-yardage 1st Down? Or, are we talking about a pure statue with a good arm like Bledsoe, Ryan Mallet, etc.?
Tough choice. Murray has that scrambling ability that fits our scheme but Mettenberger is that pure passer that we would need just in case kap goes down. I would have to go with Murray on this one though.
Mettenberger=Jim Druckenmiller. I'd go with Murray who can buy time with his legs ala that fella up in Seattle. ACL injury? Big deal.
I could care less about the big arm. It's nice to have it, but any 49er fan outta know by now it's not necessary to have a winning QB. I'd take Aaron Murray. Good leader, confident he could come in and run the offense if Kaep went down, and has played in many big games. He's my pick in the 4th round anyway. I might even take him with the comp pick in the third if we already have gotten the other major needs filled.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by MikeRumph:

Does Mettenberger have any type of mobility/escapability (like Big Ben has a little) to get away and get positive yards/get a short-yardage 1st Down? Or, are we talking about a pure statue with a good arm like Bledsoe, Ryan Mallet, etc.?

Mettenberger has no mobility whatsoever. He is as mobile as Bledsoe/Mallet and is pretty bad at moving around the pocket. I was reading that if he runs the 40 his time is expected to be around 5 seconds. But if you just watch some of his highlights on youtube you can see just how immobile he is.

• xcfan
  • Veteran
40 time has nothing to do with being slippery in the pocket.
Mettenberger.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Mettenberger.

Jim Harbaugh would never draft a statue as his back-up or starting QB.
Aaron Murray is not nearly as mobile as some of you seem to think he is. He moves well in the pocket but he is by no means a scrambler or a threat to run in the NFL.

To me, he's a very poor man's Drew Brees. Rob Rang compared him to Matt Barkley, which I also think is fair. There are actually a lot of similarities between him and Colt McCoy as well.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Feb 16, 2014 at 8:04 AM ]
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Aaron Murray is not nearly as mobile as some of you seem to think he is. He moves well in the pocket but he is by no means a scrambler or a threat to run in the NFL.

To me, he's a very poor man's Drew Brees. Rob Rang compared him to Matt Barkley, which I also think is fair. There are actually a lot of similarities between him and Colt McCoy as well.

Agree. Coming out of college, similar to McCoy, but much more mobile than Barkley.

However financially Aaron Murray will be MUCH cheaper as a mid to late round pick on a rookie contract and he'll have the benefit of sitting for a year and learning from Kaepernick. And the 49ers style of play suits Murray much better than Mettenberger.
[ Edited by Garlicboy on Feb 16, 2014 at 10:36 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone