There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers Mock Offseason v1.1

Free Agency
It will be difficult to resign Boldin. I think the 49ers should offer a 1 year deal worth around $6M but no more years. He's a fantastic player but will be 34 and the Niners need more youth and speed on the outside.

Re-sign Donte Whitner to 2 year deal
It's important to bring Whitner back for continuity because there will be so much turnover in the defensive backfield. Front load the contract with some big guarantees in year 1 and then potentially release after the year if draftees develop quickly.
Re-sign Phil Dawson 2 year deal

Sign CB Nolan Carroll Dolphins
Long, strong and very fast Carroll is an under-the-radar FA who could be a real sleeper.

Sign WR Jacoby Ford Raiders
EXPLOSIVE kick/punt-returner who got lost in the Raiders shuffle.

Sign QB Kellen Clemens
Excellent backup can come in and win games in a pinch.
Trade RB LaMichael James for 5th Round Pick
Release CB Carlos Rogers

2014 NFL Draft
1st Round: WR Odell Beckham Jr. LSU 5'11" 208
Playmaker can come in and instantly threaten defenses; gives 49ers missing explosive element on perimeter.

2nd Round: S Deone Bucannon WSU 6'1" 216
Brutal hitter with good range, can learn the position and step in when Whitner goes; will be special teams ace from day 1.

2nd Round: OG/C David Yankey Stanford 6'5" 311
Powerful mauler on the inside can play OC or OG and good replacement for Goodwin.

3rd Round: CB Bashaud Breeland Clemson 6'0" 195
Extremely long corner with good speed; reminds me of Culliver. Raw but can become lockdown DB with some coaching up.

3rd Round: OLB Aaron Lynch South Florida 6'5" 248
Long, explosive pass rusher who is surprisingly stout against the run; can never have enough pass rushers and provides insurance if Aldon reverts back to bad habits.

3rd Round: ILB Shayne Skov Stanford 6'2" 245
Solid, not spectacular, but can come in and be steady presence inside from day 1 and tenacious special teamer.

4th Round: WR Martavis Bryant Clemson 6'5" 200
Long, lean and fast, Bryant instantly becomes 49ers top deep play threat and big redzone target. Not much of a route runner but he does possess Randy Moss-like raw tools.

5th Round: QB Logan Thomas Va Tech 6'5" 250
Developmental QB with all the tangible tools.

5th Round: CB Aaron Colvin Oklahoma 5'11" 186
Was a 2nd round pick before tearing ACL in Senior Bowl. Could be a big steal.

6th Round: S Jonathan Dowling Western Kentucky 6'3" 198
Early entrant was top recruit with all the physical tools. Can be standout special teamer and eventually compete with Bucannon for starting S spot next to Reid.

2014 49ers Roster
Offense
QB: Colin Kaepernick / Kellen Clemens / Logan Thomas
RB: Frank Gore / Marcus Lattimore / Kendall Hunter
FB: Bruce Miller
WR: Michael Crabtree / Odell Beckham Jr. / Quinton Patton / Martavis Bryant / Jacoby Ford
TE: Vernon Davis / Vance McDonald / Derek Carrier
OT: Joe Staley / Anthony Davis / Adam Snyder / Luke Marquardt
OG: Mike Iupati / Alex Boone / Joe Looney
C: David Yankey / Dan Kilgore
Defense
DE: Justin Smith / Ray McDonald / Tank Carradine / Tony Jerod-Eddie
NT: Ian Williams / Glenn Dorsey / Quinton Dial
OLB: Aldon Smith / Ahmad Brooks / Corey Lemonier / Dan Skuta / Aaron Lynch
ILB: Patrick Willis / Navorro Bowman / Shayne Skov / Nick Moody
CB: Tramaine Brock / Chris Culliver / Nolan Carroll / Bashaud Breeland / Darryl Morris / Aaron Colvin (IR)
S: Eric Reid / Donte Whitner / Deone Bucannon / C.J. Spillman / Jonathan Dowling

K: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee
LS: Kevin McDermott
KR/PR: Jacoby Ford
[ Edited by mike86 on Feb 9, 2014 at 8:37 AM ]
Thanks for the mock, you got the basics covered.
I like the FAs. Interesting
Very nice mock all around
I really like Ford. I liked him coming out, and ANYONE (or anyTHING, really) can look bad in Oakland. I think we need to part with Whitner, Boldin, or Dawson, and maybe 2 of those three. We have too much money tied up in non-marquee positions. It's time to make unpopular, uncomfortable decisions to secure the future of this team. I think Whitner is the most replaceable of the three, but several teams have done well with rookie kickers, and that saves us about 3-4 million a year.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
forget thomas.
I liked the FA more than some of the picks. I think Ford eats up the need for someone like Beckham, so I think Landry or a trade up for Evans are our best bet there (especially if we con't resig Boldin, or he gets hurt, like older WR can).

I think The coaches really like McBLT, so they might not want a FA QB and a draft Pick on the 53. Might get one of each for competition, though.

I like Buchanon as an athlete. I am not sure I would take him in the 2nd, because I don't like the way he tackles. I also am concerned that he might take some time to pick up our full scheme (Reid is basically a genius, and he improved as the year wore on), so we aren't relly getting a starter with that 2. I'd rather trade back into the third, picking up a 2015 pick, and take him if he's still there.

I don't see an early OL pick at all. Coaches obviously like Kilgore and Looney, and they both have looked good when they get play time. One of them will get it done at C. The other will probably start at LG next year after Iupati gets paid. I'd rather go CB here, even though your FA pickup of Nolan is very interesting.
your not the first to mock a draft with Re-sign Donte Whitner to 2 year deal and the drafting a safety in the second round. If they Sign Whitner the draft pick will be a back up for 2 yr, then play 1 or 2 year and beome a free agent. I really don't want them to draft special team player in the second round like what has happen with James. I think they will let Whitner go save the cap space.
You have boldin signing a one year deal yet he is not on the depth chart?

you have ian williams ahead of Dorsey. Clearly Dorsey is the starter he played much better than Ian.

I would prefer fales out of san jose state at qb.

I think everyone is underestimating what Rogers did last year. over 90% of defensive snaps. He should be kept.
Originally posted by 9erred:

you have ian williams ahead of Dorsey. Clearly Dorsey is the starter he played much better than Ian.

I think everyone is underestimating what Rogers did last year. over 90% of defensive snaps. He should be kept.

He refused a paycut last year, and his contribution going forward does not look to be worth $6 million, especially with the mid-range corner market trending downward.I'd be surprised if he sticks around without cutting his salary in half.
Interesting work.
nice mock all around. I really like the Martavis Bryant pick.
I like the Jacoby Ford signing.
Stopped reading at "Re-sign Donte Whitner to 2 year deal"
Originally posted by 9erred:

So the frick what if he played 90% of the snaps. If you are using stats, check out his PFF grades or better yet, watch the games (especially on 3rd down). Also consider how did our D play without him?

IMO, Rogers and Whitner have been the Defenses weakest link the past 2 years. Now that we finally have a chance to upgrade the positions, some of you guys want to keep them and prolong the agony??? Just doesn't make sense to me. If that happened, I think the 31 other NFL teams will let out a deep sigh of relief
[ Edited by kronik on Feb 9, 2014 at 9:45 PM ]