There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Blake Bortles & "It" factor

• xcfan
  • Veteran
was watching various vids of this guy, looking for glimpses of the makings of a franchise QB, when one thing became clear to me: his body does not become scared in the pocket and show signs of panic when the neighborhood isn't safe. wow, he has the mental resources and athletic confidence to just focus on playmaking and roll with the situation, trusting his strength and physical presence in a storm. i like that about him; and it is hugely important to posses that presence when the ball's in play. that ability to engineer positive outcomes when others get rattled is definitely "It" factor. the guys who don't panic are the special ones who win in the nfl. there just might be something here. i'm going to take a closer look at him; maybe he is someone who can be "the" guy.

Greg Cosell said that he is not a special thrower or talent and I totally agree with him.

I am not saying that he 'll be a bust, I think that he could have a similar career to Matt Hasselbeck but IMO It's a nonsense that he can be a top five pick!!!!
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
there's no qb in this draft that is worthy of a top-5 pick based on their college resume and comparison to the blue chips at other positions. these guys might be matt cassel, mike kafka, dennis dixon, etc.
no real scout can honestly say any one of these 2014 guys is sure thing winning starter.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
"maybe" is as close as we can get with these guys.
Originally posted by xcfan:
there's no qb in this draft that is worthy of a top-5 pick based on their college resume and comparison to the blue chips at other positions. these guys might be matt cassel, mike kafka, dennis dixon, etc.
no real scout can honestly say any one of these 2014 guys is sure thing winning starter.

I disagree. Bridgewater imo is absolutely worthy of a top-5 pick.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
so many "maybe" qbs drafted in the top-10 have failed, while corners, o-linemen etc drafted next to them are in the hall of fame. gm's never learn from the desperate acts of gm's before them, and will draft, say, derek carr at 10, and will pass on a future, perennial pro bowl linebacker in the process. it's a virtual toss up, at best, whether carr becomes a pro-bowl qb.
gotta pick based on the truth of the film, not on the hope of a fault-filled savior with an arm.
Please don't use the "it" factor again. Reminds me of how almost everyone and their mama claimed Mark Sanchez has the "it" factor. I do like Bortles a little more than all the other QB's in this draft though. Not sure about how Bridgewater's game will transfer to the NFL level. Johnny Football is built like a little flat-chested girl with bird legs. Carr has his brother's failures to overcome. Maybe Bortles is the best QB prospect this year
[ Edited by kronik on Feb 8, 2014 at 12:30 PM ]
The Blake Bortles hype, to me, is eerily similar to the hype Blaine Gabbert received in 2011. I'm not saying Bortles is the next Gabbert, but their build up is very similar.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Decima_Mas:
I disagree. Bridgewater imo is absolutely worthy of a top-5 pick.

for sure, bridgewater can play, but it's likely he will miss more time than normal because of injury. unlike a 230 lb qb, he's not stout enough to deal the collisions he'll face; that's just physics. that's his only significant negative, but it is a real one.
I watched the Bowl game he played in and I thought, "Wow, it's Kaepernick"

Of course, that was only one game
Originally posted by MikeRumph:
The Blake Bortles hype, to me, is eerily similar to the hype Blaine Gabbert received in 2011. I'm not saying Bortles is the next Gabbert, but their build up is very similar.

Have you seen this Kid play? or are you just basing your opinion off of what you heard/ I have watched this Kid play in at least 3 games this year and He looks very very solid, no hype...it is unfair to compare him to Gabbert whom I watched play for 2 years at Mizzou and he was NOT that good in college and He is NOt that good in the Pros either.I watch a TON of college football and so I'm not just talking about something I don't know..Bortles will be a solid QB in the Pros maybe with the right coaching staff he could become elite.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
I watched the Bowl game he played in and I thought, "Wow, it's Kaepernick"

Of course, that was only one game

He's not as tall and fast as Kaep but I know what u mean. He actually reminds me of a poor man's Andrew Luck
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Have you seen this Kid play? or are you just basing your opinion off of what you heard/ I have watched this Kid play in at least 3 games this year and He looks very very solid, no hype...it is unfair to compare him to Gabbert whom I watched play for 2 years at Mizzou and he was NOT that good in college and He is NOt that good in the Pros either.I watch a TON of college football and so I'm not just talking about something I don't know..Bortles will be a solid QB in the Pros maybe with the right coaching staff he could become elite.

I've seen him play quite a few times and I think he is a decent prospect but I'd never spend a 1st rounder on him. He benefited from playing against less than stellar competition and having the second best defense (in terms of points allowed) in his conference. So many of his throws were to receivers who were wide open, in the NFL he won't have gaping windows like that. Also, his stats benefited from short throws that receivers turned into big gains. His one game against a premier defense (South Carolina) was Alex Smith-esque. Tons of checkdowns and receivers making some good plays after the catch. I can count on 1 hand the amount of completed passes that travelled greater than 10 yards in the air in that game.

I'm not saying he's the next Gabbert or Weeden, but it would be a mistake to take him #1. But if you're looking for a guy with spotty deep ball accuracy and a real talent for short throws, then go draft Aaron Murray later on.
Originally posted by MikeRumph:
Originally posted by jrouter4949:

I've seen him play quite a few times and I think he is a decent prospect but I'd never spend a 1st rounder on him. He benefited from playing against less than stellar competition and having the second best defense (in terms of points allowed) in his conference. So many of his throws were to receivers who were wide open, in the NFL he won't have gaping windows like that. Also, his stats benefited from short throws that receivers turned into big gains. His one game against a premier defense (South Carolina) was Alex Smith-esque. Tons of checkdowns and receivers making some good plays after the catch. I can count on 1 hand the amount of completed passes that travelled greater than 10 yards in the air in that game.

I'm not saying he's the next Gabbert or Weeden, but it would be a mistake to take him #1. But if you're looking for a guy with spotty deep ball accuracy and a real talent for short throws, then go draft Aaron Murray later on.

Totally agree
[ Edited by Decima_Mas on Feb 8, 2014 at 1:50 PM ]
Blake Bortles is gonna be a bust no matter where he goes. Calling it now.