There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Stephon Tuitt

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
So Stephon Tuitt didn't run on pro day either. This is going to hurt his stock.

Good news. Hopefully, he gets a DUI or something before the draft, then we can grab him in the late second.

lol
If we were to go for a D-linemen he would be the guy I want. I think that he could potentially do what Justin does (tie up the edge allowing Aldon to loop around for the sack). I would take him over Hageman any day.
I feel like after the top two, there is a drop off for 3-4 DE. If either Tuitt or Hagermann are there, in the second, do the Niners passhem?
Originally posted by Butter:
I feel like after the top two, there is a drop off for 3-4 DE. If either Tuitt or Hagermann are there, in the second, do the Niners passhem?

If they do they're insane. I don't even think Hageman will be there at 30.
Are we seriously talking about Tuitt or Hageman being there at 56 or are we talking about trading up in the second to get him (or down from 30)? I still think Tuitt goes before Hageman - he's 3 years younger and a better and more athletic player. He also has experience playing 3-4 DE while Hageman played inside and I question whether he has the quickness to contain plays to the outside.

I think too many analysts have lumped them together as similar players and then are penalizing Tuitt for his injury when Tuitt was really a much better prospect pre-injury and I would still take him way before Hageman if I'm looking for a 3-4 DE.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Are we seriously talking about Tuitt or Hageman being there at 56 or are we talking about trading up in the second to get him (or down from 30)? I still think Tuitt goes before Hageman - he's 3 years younger and a better and more athletic player. He also has experience playing 3-4 DE while Hageman played inside and I question whether he has the quickness to contain plays to the outside.

I think too many analysts have lumped them together as similar players and then are penalizing Tuitt for his injury when Tuitt was really a much better prospect pre-injury and I would still take him way before Hageman if I'm looking for a 3-4 DE.

It'll be just like Tank slipping. I know his injury was worse than Tuitt's but just the same Tank was a much better prospect than several players that went in the first.
A serious injury caused Tank to slip from a mid-first prospect to #40. A less serious injury isn't going to cause Tuitt to slip from a mid-first prospect to #56 (I know it may be a stronger draft, but Tuitt is a better player). I think part of the reason Tank fell was his age (he was 24 when he was drafted and Tuitt is 20 now). I think the injury gives us a chance to get Tuitt in the first, but I wouldn't be surprised if he still gets taken before 30.

I could see Hageman falling into the mid 40's because he does not have experience playing 3-4 DE which is probably the best fit for him given his size and how high he plays at time. He's also on the older side at 23 turning 24 in August and is not as good of an athlete as Tuitt.
A serious injury caused Tank to slip from a mid-first prospect to #40. A less serious injury isn't going to cause Tuitt to slip from a mid-first prospect to #56 (I know it may be a stronger draft, but Tuitt is a better player). I think part of the reason Tank fell was his age (he was 24 when he was drafted and Tuitt is 20 now). I think the injury gives us a chance to get Tuitt in the first, but I wouldn't be surprised if he still gets taken before 30.

I could see Hageman falling into the mid 40's because he does not have experience playing 3-4 DE which is probably the best fit for him given his size and how high he plays at time. He's also on the older side at 23 turning 24 in August and is not as good of an athlete as Tuitt.

I think Tuitt has the potential to be the best defensive player from this draft. I really don't think he'll be there at #56 and won't be surprised if he's taken in the top 20 and would be stoked to get him at 30. If he slips out of the first I really hope they move up to get him. s**t I'd even be fine with trading into the top 20 to take him. Honestly I think he can be just as good as Watt and Justin Smith.

Playing high? Sure. Older? Yeah. No experience in a 3-4? That won't affect his draft stock. Most 3-4 DEs in the NFL used to play on 4-3 defenses in college. Plus Hageman would have no problem playing in a 4-3.

I'm pretty sure Hageman will be gone before 30.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Mar 24, 2014 at 6:12 PM ]
The only stud defensive lineman we can look at (given CB and WR our are two priorities) is Dominique Easley of Florida, due to his ACL injury. Jernigan, Donald, Tuitt, Hageman, and Nix will be long gone before the late second round.
There's no such thing as the "only" DL to look at...Baalke has all the flexibility he needs to grab BPA. That could be a CB, WR or a DL. I think Tuitt's too big and too good to pass on if Baalke gets a shot at him. That could mean trading up, if necessary or even trading back to get another 2nd rd pick, then trading up in that rd to get a player he and Harbaugh really want. That's why you stockpile picks each year, so you have the ability to go up or down in various rds to get the guys you want.
If he's as good as people think and is the BPA at 30, i say do it then grab a guy like Joyner in the 2nd to man the slot (and possibly be groomed as the future SS) and then Moncrief.
I am ok with Tuitt at 30. Not ok with trading up for him. Even better with trading down a little to get him
I am also intrigued by Kareem Martin 6'6 272 35 in arms and can jump off his shoes in the 2nd round
Someone will get Tuitt in the second round considering he has a broken foot.
Originally posted by mmezzetta:
The only stud defensive lineman we can look at (given CB and WR our are two priorities) is Dominique Easley of Florida, due to his ACL injury. Jernigan, Donald, Tuitt, Hageman, and Nix will be long gone before the late second round.

What's to say that the 49ers don't take a DL in the 1st round???? It wouldn't shock me in the slightest, especially considering that the draft is loaded in the two positions they need the most(CB, WR).