There are 245 users in the forums

Solidg2000 Mock.01

Everyone's doing it, so why not me
and I return to mocking the draft after a year hiatus

So lets start
Re-sign/Sign:
WR Anquan Boldin- At this point in his career he wants rings, and will give us a discount to get them. The writing was in the wall in Baltimore (hence his not taking a pay cut)
PK Phil Dawson- In all his years in the NFL, this season was his first playoffs (i think). He will stay and for a good price.
CB Eric Wright- Min deal, still trying to get his career back on track
CB Parrish Cox- He loves SF apparently since he keeps coming back for more

Release/Cut:
CB Carlos Rogers- Just too much money
WR Jon Baldwin- Might be kept around to battle for a spot but I doubt he makes it

Draft time:
49ers start out by trading away their 30th overall pick to Minnesota
Min gets: 30th overall
SF gets: 40th, 96th, 6th round pick (170ish)

With the 40th Overall pick in the NFL draft, The 49ers Select
TCU, CB, JASON VERRETT
In his final game as a Horned Frog, Verrett limited Antwan Goodley, Baylor's leading receiver, to just one catch for 12 yards. Verrett also broke up two passes in the process.Earlier this season, Verrett held Texas Tech's Eric Ward, who has 72 receptions, without a catch for the entire game. Goodley and Ward are two of the Big 12's top-five receivers. When lined up against LSU's Odell Beckham Jr., Verrett allowed just one reception. He totaled seven stops, including a sack, while adding three pass breakups versus LSU. Despite not many balls being thrown his way this season, Verrett is second in the Big 12 and tied for seventh nationally with 1.5 passes defended per game (two interceptions, 14 pass breakups). Since the start of the 2012 season, he tops the nation with 38 passes defended (eight interceptions, 30 pass breakups).
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824936/jason-verrett

Some scouts believe he will drop because of concerns over his size. Size doesn't make the player, and that won't stop Verrett from being effective

The 49ers announce another trade
This time they move up in the draft by trading with Detroit
Det gets: 56th, 5th round, 6th round
SF gets: 45th overall

With the 45th Overall pick in the NFL draft, The 49ers Select
Vanderbilt, WR, Jordan Matthews
When Vanderbilt decided to press the issue downfield this year, WRs Jordan Matthews and Jonathan Krause were nearly unstoppable. For whatever reason maybe the line's difficulties with protection (32 sacks allowed) the Commodores didn't do much of that late in the year. The bottom line is that nobody so much as slowed Matthews (an SEC single-season record 107 catches and 1,334 yards) at any point in the season when the Commodores made an attempt to get him the ball, but the increasingly-conservative offensive staff could shy away from putting the ball up much against a ball-hawking defense. - The Sports Xchange
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=110183&draftyear=2014&genpos=WR

And lets not forget he's also Jerry Rices cousin

With the 61st Overall pick in the NFL draft, The 49ers Select
Washington State, SS, Deone Bucannon

Bucannon made his presence felt for the Cougars in 2011 as he recorded three interceptions, 80 tackles and four passes broken up. Bucannon improved as a junior with four interceptions, four passes broken up, one forced fumble, and 106 tackles in 2012. This year was the senior's best season as he was one of the top safeties in college football. Bucannon totaled six interceptions with 114 tackles, three forced fumbles and one pass broken up in 2013. At the Senior Bowl, he had a quality week of practice and didn't do anything significant to change his draft stock for better or worse.
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014dbucannon.php

With the 77th Overall pick in the NFL draft, The 49ers Select
Colorado State, C, Weston Richburg

2014 Senior Bowl, Helped Themselves: Weston Richburg, OC, Colorado State - Arkansas' Travis Swanson entered the week as the nation's top center prospect but an impressive showing by another CSU Ram has his stock rising quickly. Richburg showed the anchor to handle powerful bull-rushers, as well as impressive agility in getting to the second level. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=96069&draftyear=2014&genpos=C

With the 94th Overall pick in the NFL draft, The 49ers Select
Nebraska, Cb, Stanley Jean-Baptiste

2014 Senior Bowl: 10 observations from Monday's North practice...6. Linenwood CB Pierre Desir and Nebraska CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste are both tall, long defensive backs who have the athleticism to turn and run with receivers downfield. They both did a nice job in press-man to get physical at the line of scrimmage and then ride the receiver through the route, although both got away with a little too much holding. Neither are elite when controlling their start/stop momentum, but neither are allergic to contact either. And with several teams who utilize press-man techniques on defense looking for the next Richard Sherman, both Desir and Jean-Baptiste are players to watch this week. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

With the 96th Overall pick in the NFL draft, The 49ers Select
Florida, DT/DE, Dominique Easley

Easley proved a quick-healer after a torn ACL in 2010, by coming back to start 11 games in 2012 and showed versatility, lining up at defensive end. Easley's tackle numbers dropped overall (26) but he finished with more big plays (8.5 for loss, team-leading four sacks), including 3.5 tackles behind the line of scrimmage in the Sugar Bowl loss. Easley's explosiveness off the ball has been among the best in the conference. He also has quick, active hands to slap away blockers and is able to hold up well against the run at this level due to good core strength.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737266/dominique-easley

With the 97ish Overall pick in the NFL draft, The 49ers Select
Alabama, QB, AJ McCarron

McCarron's biggest strengths are his decision-making and accuracy. He does a good job of taking care of the football and rarely throws it where a defense can make a play on the ball. McCarron has good touch on his passes and drops them in nicely to his receiver. He does an impressive job of avoiding mistakes.

You thought I'd waste a pic of AJ McCarron here... tisk tisk tisk

With the 130ish Overall pick in the NFL draft, The 49ers Select
North Carolina, OT, James Hurst

12/30/2013 - UNC OT James Hurst suffers broken leg in Belk Bowl win...North Carolina offensive tackle James Hurst left the Belk Bowl after suffering a left leg injury. After the Tar Heels' 39-17 win, the school announced that the senior suffered a broken leg. Hurst, an anchor at left tackle for much of his time in Chapel Hill, made his 49th career start on Saturday. CBSSports.com has the 6-foot-7, 305 pound tackle listed as the No. 10 offensive tackle (No. 88 overall) in the 2014 NFL Draft class.
Before the injury, he was projected as a second or third round selection. The school provided no details on a timetable for recovery. The ESPN cameras did not show Hurst in the play when he sustained the injury, and the broadcast team opted not to replay the image of his leg getting rolled up after he went down. - Chip Patterson, CBSSports.com

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737122/james-hurst

With the 170ish Overall pick in the NFL draft, The 49ers Select
Oklahoma, CB, Aaron Colvin

01/21/14 - 2014 Senior Bowl: 10 observations from Monday's South practice...3. On the defensive side of the ball, Oklahoma cornerback Aaron Colvin demonsrated good speed and fluidity in coverage, as well as excellent leaping ability and timing to knock away passes. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=106335&draftyear=2014&genpos=CB

With the 222ish Overall pick in the NFL draft, The 49ers Select
UCLA, WR, Shaq Evans

2013 BILETNIKOFF AWARD WATCH LIST: Shaquelle Evans, UCLA, SR...Evans, a redshirt senior from Inglewood, Calif., became a consistent producer for the Bruin offense in 2012, starting all 14 games. He led the team with 60 receptions, a mark which ranks as the eighth-most in school single-season history. Evans also led the team in receiving yards, with 877, the 11th-highest total in school single-season history. Evans caught a career-long 71-yard pass against Stanford in the Rose Bowl and also made a career-high eight catches against USC for 114 yards in UCLA's 38-28 victory over the Trojans. He also shined in the team's appearance in the Holiday Bowl, making seven receptions, including a 24-yard scoring pass from quarterback Brett Hundley. For his efforts, Evans was named an honorable mention All-Pac-12 player by league coaches. - UCLA football
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89557&draftyear=2014&genpos=WR

With the 224ish Overall pick in the NFL draft, The 49ers Select
Oklahoma, FB, Trey Millard

Despite the win on Saturday over previously unbeaten Texas Tech, Oklahoma received a crushing blow as they lost senior FB Trey Millard to a season-ending knee injury. He tore two ligaments in his knee, including his ACL, and will have surgery that will keep him sidelined for the foreseeable future. A Swiss army knife for the Sooner offense, Millard is a versatile offensive weapon with his ability as a receiver, ballcarrier and blocker. The injury will likely keep him from working out prior to the 2014 NFL Draft, which will unfortunately severely damage his draft stock. Millard was considered a borderline top-100 prospect prior to the injury, but this setback will likely push him to day three, if he is drafted at all. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=110479&draftyear=2014&genpos=FB

With the 227ish Overall pick in the NFL draft, The 49ers Select
Oregon, TE, Colt Lyerla

Lyerla has great quickness to gain separation in his route-running with a second gear to burst into the open field after making a reception. He is extremely explosive as a receiver and his speed takes defenses by surprise. Lyerla is tough to bring down once the ball is in his hands. He sheds lots of tackles and carries defensive backs for extra yards before going down. Lyerla is a physical runner who can punish defenders.

Lyerla has the athletic ability for the next level to be used as an H-back and play some fullback. He could continue to run the ball in short-yardage situations. Lyerla has amazingly quick feet to cut and move as a ball-carrier. Offensive coordinators should have fun using him in a variety of ways and catching defenses by surprise. Lyerla could be a tight end who is similar to former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez, who was called a swiss army knife because of his dangerous versatility.
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014clyerla.php

Super Talent, Super issues. Late round flyer
[ Edited by solidg2000 on Feb 7, 2014 at 3:57 PM ]
Welcome back to the ranks of mock drafts. Only three draft picks this year?
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

no I have a full one, I accidently hit post before i was done lol
editing in progress
Originally posted by solidg2000:

editing in progress

Good start. Bring it on!
Great mock so far. Love every pick. We should be so lucky.

On the Fanspeak mock draft website I had this exact same draft several times. I followed with WR Martavis Bryant and DE Josh Mauro with my next picks and finished with some pup list prospects and PR/KR Dri Archer.

Depending on how things fall in the 1st I do think there is a good chance the 49ers trade back from the 30th pick instead of up.
Originally posted by solidg2000:

editing in progress

I figured that. That's why I didn't say something. Good mock. Like every pick.
Check your 130th pick. You put Jordan Mathews again by mistake.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Check your 130th pick. You put Jordan Mathews again by mistake.

Thanks, fixed
That's what I get for rushing it
Verrett, SJB, Bucannon, IR Colvin (get him back to full health) paired with Reid, Brock, and Culliver = strong youthful secondary for years to come .

Love this mock.
Good mock. The only thing I personally would change is draft a qb a round later and add someone who could play ILB with ability to also play OLB. With Bowman s injuries I can see us adding depth.

Originally posted by stonecold590:
Good mock. The only thing I personally would change is draft a qb a round later and add someone who could play ILB with ability to also play OLB. With Bowman s injuries I can see us adding depth.

I like our depth there now. I'm sure we'll add some udfa as camp bodies
Love this draft. Can McCarron play this year? If not we are still left with a hole at back up QB.
The only LBs I would pick to come in and help right away are Christian Jones(FSU), and Yawin Smallwood(UCONN).

Otherwise, I like our depth also. Skuta, Wilhoite would/will do fine as backup ILBs.
It's no secret Baalke's not afraid to trade...up or down. Not sure he'd do what you're suggesting, though.

-Verrett. Quick, yes, but he does nothing to get our secondary bigger...not many 175 lb CB's in the league. My pick would be Kyle Fuller, 6 ft 190+. VA Tech has produced quality NFL DB's for years.

- Matthews. He's good, but he really adds another possession receiver to Boldin & Crabtree. I'd like to see Baalke bring some real speed to the receiving corps...Beckham or Cooks would do that.

- Bucannon. Great pick. I think he's one of the most complete S in this draft.

- Richburg. Good C, but with Kilgore & Looney waiting for their opportunity, why use a 3rd rounder to get another one. Snyder can also play the position and Seymour played everywhere on the OL in college. Here's where I'd take McGill or Jean-Baptiste.

- With the 2nd 3rd rounder, you could go DL or a pass rusher.

- Easley. I like the pick. They drafted Carradine to be Justin Smith's heir apparent. Even though we have TJE, Easley's versatility is something to like.

- McCarron. There's been something about Tide QB's that hasn't equated to NFL success (besides Joe Willy Namath). Think I'd go Fales, instead. The fact he played just down the road at San Jose would be a boon for Niner & Spartan fans.

- Hurst. Good redshirt pick. I like it.

- Colvin. Not a bad CB, but you're keeping Wright and this is the 3rd CB in your mock. FWIW, I think they keep Cox vice Wright. Maybe a S?

- Evans. Good late pick. He was solid for UCLA.

- Millard. Like the pick. Not sure Harbaugh can afford to keep 2 FB's, but definitely worth a late rd pick.

- Lyerla. Why not.
If this was to happen I would walk straight into my flirty coworkers office just to whip out my staff and beat the wet seal all while blooding up the table and then succumbing to exhaustion like Australian marsupial rat. Additionally, making sure to purposely empty out every last bit of my unborn child's sperm DNA up in her leaky itty-bitty foul filthy little hello kitty.

On a sided note Solid. what say you regarding K Fuller instead of JV? Do you not invision K. Fuller being there at that spot. Also, I got a chuckle out of the pic of AJ's GF but am wondering if QB is what you want at that pick wouldn't Zach Mettenberger from LSU be a better pick. As the you folks know I'm a RTR fan and I can tell you first hand that AJ sucks major ass. If you look back at all the Bama QB's of the recent past they were all there to manage the game. Am no intrigued by such prospects. Zach on the other hand has all the qualities one looks for in a QB.

overall the best mock so far on the zone I PERSONALLY like.
Share 49ersWebzone