There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do You Trust the 49ers brass to draft a WR

Originally posted by random49er:
If his speed checks out this is the way I am leaning. People seem to forget that our current roster is DEEP. We need to find spots for guys that were on IR and the practice squad. This is the last year before the heavy contracts come,...this is the year to try to get over the hump more than any other.

We will most certainly not draft 10 kids with so few spots. We either need an over the hump player such as Watkins, or a trade to a later draft (which would be counter productive to my point of this being our best run given the vets and upcoming contracts). The supposed payoff for picks like Dial, Tank, and Lattimore is that they basically count as 3 extra picks this year that need to make the 53. Hopefully a project like the Brit develops and that makes 4 spots covered.

Watkins can come in and instantly contribute to a title run. We have to ask ourselves "who else can?" We could sure use a shut-down corner as well, but getting one for immediate help would perhaps only happen in FA. I see us addressing spots like CB, S, and OL in the draft as well.

We basically are in the position of needing to develop the guys we have

Of course this ignores the needs at cornerback, safety and several other positions. The "let's trade up" crowd just doesn't get it. This team will have plenty of guys to replace this offseason, and will need all the young talent that they can get to keep salaries under control, not just this year, but every single year. Rather than be like Atlanta, trade up, blow a bunch of draft picks on a single guy and then get screwed over when the lack of depth and injuries catch up, build like New England who has managed to keep pace and remaining a winning team and Superbowl contender for over a decade.

So which is it? Do you want to be the Falcons or the Patriots?
Originally posted by sfout:
Yea so far we can thank Crabtree's insane work ethic for his development plus veteran presence in the locker room. Then Moss and Boldin for extra help.....The presence of those 3 is pretty much the only explanation for Patton's progress.

Every other WR was at their ceiling (K. Williams), or not putting in the work (Jenkins).

Patton was pretty much going to develop himself no matter where he went. He's got an insane work ethic, I was never worried about him, now about utilizing him properly and so on, I don't have much trust in this coaching staff, he'll likely be treated as an afterthought until Boldin or Crabtree leave and then they panic and realize that they have to figure out how to utilize him when gameplanning now.
I don't have a problem with Baalke. My bigger issue is with receiver development. That position, more so than any other has failed to produce much of anything over the years. The guys that did look good were already good.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Of course this ignores the needs at cornerback, safety and several other positions. The "let's trade up" crowd just doesn't get it. This team will have plenty of guys to replace this offseason, and will need all the young talent that they can get to keep salaries under control, not just this year, but every single year.

You mean young talent like Vance MacDonald?

We need to draft every 7th round pick we have, only to see them not make the 53 man roster and be poached off of our practice squad?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
I'm talking cumulative. Like Moss > Crabtree > Patton. I knew that wouldn't be conveyed well.

Well, your wording sure fooled me, but then I am easy.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I don't have a problem with Baalke. My bigger issue is with receiver development. That position, more so than any other has failed to produce much of anything over the years. The guys that did look good were already good.

Yeah I kinda lean this way too. I'd like to see a change at WR's coach, because it doesn't seem like much is getting accomplished.
A.J. Jenkins was a head scratcher. I don't think anybody but the 49ers has him listed as a first rounder, so the question wasn't if he would be a bust or boom player so much as why did we draft him in that spot. Unless these guys draft a Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans or somebody like that, I don't trust them to find a diamond in the rough. They do seem to have a good eye for corners and safeties though. I say trade up in the draft and get one of the top three receivers and us the second round picks on a corner and a safety.
Originally posted by oregonniner:
A.J. Jenkins was a head scratcher. I don't think anybody but the 49ers has him listed as a first rounder, so the question wasn't if he would be a bust or boom player so much as why did we draft him in that spot. Unless these guys draft a Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans or somebody like that, I don't trust them to find a diamond in the rough. They do seem to have a good eye for corners and safeties though. I say trade up in the draft and get one of the top three receivers and us the second round picks on a corner and a safety.

In the 1st 4 rounds the 49ers hit on 2 of 3 picks in the last few years. Everybody drafts a bust now and then. Everybody. The 49ers will be fine drafting WR's. The question is will they target the position. They have only spent 3 picks in the top 4 rounds in the last what 5-6 years? For a position that has 5-6 roster spots. By contrast they spent 3 picks in the top 4 rounds in the last 3 years at HB a position that has only 3-4 roster spots and a HOF player already on the roster.

In the 1st 4 rounds the 49ers hit on 2 of 3 picks in the last few years. Everybody drafts a bust now and then. Everybody. The 49ers will be fine drafting WR's. The question is will they target the position. They have only spent 3 picks in the top 4 rounds in the last what 5-6 years? For a position that has 5-6 roster spots. By contrast they spent 3 picks in the top 4 rounds in the last 3 years at HB a position that has only 3-4 roster spots and a HOF player already on the roster.