There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do You Trust the 49ers brass to draft a WR

Originally posted by MarkD:
I trust Balke but I think the scouting department needs to be second guessed at this point. One thing that I want to point out is receivers are drafted by the type of system you run as well. Other than this last years draft, our receivers were drafted for a run first offense with Alex Smith as qb. In fact the majority of the team was drafted with that in mind. Now that we have a quarter back with a stronger arm to throw down field more emphasis will be put on drafting a receiver that can get down field to catch versus just being a big bodied blocker in the run game.

Idk Baalke is the one that made the decision on AJ Jenkins. He didn't even consider anyone else. He seemed so sure on AJ based on the reports of him writing his name down the day before the draft.
Re-sign Boldin and Draft Allen Robinson in the 1st round. Problem solved.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
With Trent Baalke at the helm we have drafted the following WR's :

2010 Kyle Williams - 6th round
2011 Ronald Johnson - 6th round
2012 AJ Jenkins - 1st round
2013 Quinton Patton - 4th round

That track record that precedes him does not lead me to have little to little to no faith in him but to each their own. He has one big failure to date but has only invested one high pick into the position.

I was gonna say hell naw, but after looking at the list he's only had one bust so far. 4-6 rounders.are hit or miss, not really a big loss imo. I do think we could do a better job though, when looking at teams like SD and Pittsburgh hitting consistently on WRs. So I guess I'll take the wait and see approach... We can't afford another AJ Jenkins debacle.this year...
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
If you do a little research receivers are the biggest gamble as far as first round picks go. Missing on one is not a rarity at all. I think we need a better receivers coach because othr than Crabtree our receivers aren't getting better once we draft them.

Agreed -

The other issue I have with 49er receivers is the lack of rout creativity. You don't ever see 49er receivers using the actual rout to create separation. It also seems that other teams are able to sit linebackers in the throwing lanes with disturbing regularity. No imbalance sets or routs. No real creativity past getting off the line of scrimmage.

yea two biggest problems with our WRs is the coaching and offensive scheme. Morton is completely useless. Crabs didn't even start being a stud til Moss came in and took him under his wing. Plus Roman has no idea how to put players in position to get the ball. West coast offense ("hybr my a$$...where are all the slant routes and screens?
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
yea two biggest problems with our WRs is the coaching and offensive scheme. Morton is completely useless. Crabs didn't even start being a stud til Moss came in and took him under his wing. Plus Roman has no idea how to put players in position to get the ball. West coast offense ("hybr my a$$...where are all the slant routes and screens?

Yep
I trust em as long as they don't try to get cute and pick a WR that isn't even projected in that round (AJ Jenkins)!!!

A lot of WR talent and CB talent... I'd look for the receivers that dominated against potential first round CBs..

Watkins would be a miracle... But if take Evans, Robinson, Benjamin, Adams, or Mathews

But my favorite as of right now is Allen Robinson.
[ Edited by hps49 on Feb 8, 2014 at 11:01 AM ]
Originally posted by hps49:
I trust em as long as they don't try to get cute and pick a WR that isn't even projected in that round (AJ Jenkins)!!!

A lot of WR talent and CB talent... I'd look for the receivers that dominated against potential first round CBs..

Watkins would be a miracle... But if take Evans, Robinson, Benjamin, Adams, or Mathews

But my favorite as of right now is Allen Robinson.

Looking at the draft trade chart it seems Watkins is do-able if someone is willing...or am I looking at an old chart? 30th, 60th and a late 3rd pick for #5? I might be tempted as it would still leave the team with a second, two thirds and all their other picks.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Re-sign Boldin and Draft Allen Robinson in the 1st round. Problem solved.

He'll be a bust. Big Ten guys suck! The style of offense they play doesn't translate in the NFL. It's a prehistoric football conference. We need a guy that come in that Boldin can help mentor who can step up in 2015 when we could possibly lose both Crab and Boldin. Besides a Watkins, Lee, Evans ore Benjamin...any WR that gets drafted he'll be 4 on the depth chart anyway and we all know that's a waste in this system.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
Here's the rule of thumb to remember when drafting a WR....Never draft a WR from the Big Ten! Don't believe me? Check out the last 10-15 of WR drafted from that garbage dump! Watch how much Decker's production drops when he's not in Denver next year. Hartline is a decent 3 at best.

you can't argue with science.
These last 2 draft classes have worked out to our needs. Last year we need a safety, Vacarro, Elam, Cyprien, Reid all viable 1st rounders. This year there is no depth at safety in the draft. Last year WR was Austin and Patterson and we weren't in the market. This year, in the market for WR and there are 6 with 1st round projections.

Short story, the odds are decent we land a good WR.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by MarkD:
I trust Balke but I think the scouting department needs to be second guessed at this point. One thing that I want to point out is receivers are drafted by the type of system you run as well. Other than this last years draft, our receivers were drafted for a run first offense with Alex Smith as qb. In fact the majority of the team was drafted with that in mind. Now that we have a quarter back with a stronger arm to throw down field more emphasis will be put on drafting a receiver that can get down field to catch versus just being a big bodied blocker in the run game.

Idk Baalke is the one that made the decision on AJ Jenkins. He didn't even consider anyone else. He seemed so sure on AJ based on the reports of him writing his name down the day before the draft.

AJ had talent but he turned out to be a wuss. During his college career he didn't have to work for anything . It was handed to him. Obviously with our team and the guys that were ahead of him on the depth chart he pressed to hard and gave up.
Originally posted by xcfan:

Science is a great way to put when the best you can produce from the Big Ten over the last 6 years is Decker, Hartline and Manningham! It's pretty pathetic when you actually look at it.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I trust them drafting any position. They've missed on some WRs, but only one was a high pick.

This
Only one was a high pick, and I think Patton will be good. I think they draft DB first probably CB and use a second on a WR. Baalke has been good, a lot of teams would kill to have him! Just ask Oakland.
Originally posted by xcfan:
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
Here's the rule of thumb to remember when drafting a WR....Never draft a WR from the Big Ten! Don't believe me? Check out the last 10-15 of WR drafted from that garbage dump! Watch how much Decker's production drops when he's not in Denver next year. Hartline is a decent 3 at best.

Draft one from the SEC, the competition and defenses are no joke!
Originally posted by KRS-1:
With Trent Baalke at the helm we have drafted the following WR's :

2010 Kyle Williams - 6th round
2011 Ronald Johnson - 6th round
2012 AJ Jenkins - 1st round
2013 Quinton Patton - 4th round

That track record that precedes him does not lead me to have little to little to no faith in him but to each their own. He has one big failure to date but has only invested one high pick into the position.

very well put KRS, I think ppl fail to really look at what he's done, he's only drafted one WR high in the draft and it was a miss, Patton looks like he could end up being great value in the 4th round but as the OP stated, next year is when we'll really be able to find out or at least get a good read on him.

Overall, Baalke has done an awesome job in the draft, I think even the 2012 draft could end up being better than a complete flop like it looks now. LMJ is a better PR/KR than ppl give him credit for and his 4.9 YPC to me at least says that he has ability at the RB position, he just hasn't been given enough of a chance but that could change with Gore getting up there in age. IMO if Kilgore/Looney end up being starters at either C or LG (if Iupati leaves after next season) then the draft will be okay at least.

I think 49er fans (ones on this board especially) tend to focus too much on the negative. Look at the Aldon Smith pick, ppl were shocked by that and he's become one of the most dominate defensive players in football. Kaep, Hunter, Culliver, Bowman, Reid, Miller and many others have proven to be very good picks. The trade for Boldin, signing FAs like Dawson, Whitner, Dorsey, Skuta etc have been great moves also. In short, give the man some credit and show some faith.
[ Edited by matt49er on Feb 8, 2014 at 3:03 PM ]