There are 186 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do You Trust the 49ers brass to draft a WR

Really just comes down to this v

I mean, whoever they draft... (or is it whomever?).. we as fans will either believe that our scouts were thorough and the player will be good... or we will wail and cry like Chicken Little. Much of this choice will come down to our predisposition of said player. If we liked the player and value taken, we will cheer to the Heavens that our own draft "skills" were legitimized. If they take what we deem in our arrogance as a "reach"? Then, we laugh as if we know for sure the player is doomed to suck.

.... and with the #30 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft... the San Francisco 49ers select... Shaq Evans.. WR.. from UCLA.

... and the fans are beside themselves with anger, rage, and scorn... just as many were with Aldon Smith.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I don't get the point of this thread. Why do I need to trust the 49ers? My life doesn't depend on it. Whether they draft the next Jerry Rice or not, it will not alter what I do.
One bad WR pick (Jenkins) doesn't constitute inability/ineptitude in this area. Plus, nobody with a shred of objectivity will factor in 6th round WRs (Williams and Johnson) when discussing Baalke's ability to pick for this position. Since 2000, there's really only a handful of 6th round WRs that have done anything in the league. Only one was/is really productive (Garcon) with the other "notables" having made/making minor contributions.

The vast majority of 6th round WRs taken since 2000 look for gainful employment elsewhere shortly after being drafted.

2000 - NA
2001 - NA
2002 - NA
2003 - Arnez Battle, David Tyree
2004 - NA
2005 - NA
2006 - NA
2007 - NA
2008 - Pierre Garcon, Josh Morgan
2009 - Brandon Gibson
2010 - Antonio Brown
2011 - Dwayne Harris, Aldrick Robinson
2012 - NA/too early
2013 - Too early

Point being, AJJ is the only legit crappy WR pick by this current regime has made.
I turst Gire doe.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
One bad WR pick (Jenkins) doesn't constitute inability/ineptitude in this area. Plus, nobody with a shred of objectivity will factor in 6th round WRs (Williams and Johnson) when discussing Baalke's ability to pick for this position. Since 2000, there's really only a handful of 6th round WRs that have done anything in the league. Only one was/is really productive (Garcon) with the other "notables" having made/making minor contributions.

The vast majority of 6th round WRs taken since 2000 look for gainful employment elsewhere shortly after being drafted.

2000 - NA
2001 - NA
2002 - NA
2004 - NA
2005 - NA
2006 - NA
2007 - NA
2009 - Brandon Gibson
2010 - Antonio Brown
2012 - NA/too early
2013 - Too early

Point being, AJJ is the only legit crappy WR pick by this current regime has made.

Completely agree. However, some organizations have aprticular talent for drafting late round WRs (NO, Pitt) and we haven't proven to be one of those. Doesn't mean we can't draft WRs early, but we've shown better skill with OL, LBs and DL.

2000 - NA
2001 - NA
2002 - NA
2004 - NA
2005 - NA
2006 - NA
2007 - NA
2009 - Brandon Gibson
2010 - Antonio Brown
2012 - NA/too early
2013 - Too early

You're selling Antonio Brown very short. 2 1,000 yard seasons, another with close to 800 (not a full healthy season either) in 4 years. And Brown's had more thousand yards seasons (2 Brown; 1 Garcon) and only 10 less TDs in less time than Garcon. Brown is a far better WR than Pierre in my opinion. And a guy I think the Niners should draft, Brandin Cooks, reminds me alot of Brown.
Do I trust 49ers brass to draft a WR?

[ Edited by jimmythegreekjr on Feb 7, 2014 at 4:46 PM ]
In last 10 yrs we just haven't done well with WRs. AJ, Rashaun Woods to name a couple, but to be honest, anybody that takes a WR high in draft probably has less than 50% chance of hitting it out of the park. I think this holds for all teams. There is just one JERRY RICE out there and we had him, nobody else. But outside of that, it is a tough slog finding JR...because he was one in 10,000,000. I'd rather draft OL, DL, CB S, etc.

Also right now, I bet a zillion $$ that NOBODY on the 49ers staff actually knows what we have in the WRs we currently own. Kap and JH didn't help much by using only 1 or 2 guys. Hard to know what you have when you refuse to use the guys ...and IMO, really good guys you already have.
Whatever WR Baalke drafts this year more than likely won't be a 1st rounder...assuming he re-signs Boldin, there are a couple of burners I'm hoping Baalke looks hard at. One is Odell Beckham from LSU, the other Brandin Cooks from Ore St. Both guys have the speed our receiving corp's missing (Vernon excepted). It's possible TB will draft another WR...but I think it's essential to add some real speed.
Yeah, I trust Baalke.

Last year we needed to fix the DLine and he did in FA [Dorsey] and Draft Tank, Dial. [Not sure if TJE came in last year.]

I see him moving up to get a WR in the 2nd.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I turst Gire doe.

tihs! taht guy can paly! Gire is one of tohse gusy taht maeks any tema better. I bet he colud darft us a WR or tow!!!
Cooks and Odell both could be first rounders......Odell definitely will be from everything I have seen.
Here's the rule of thumb to remember when drafting a WR....Never draft a WR from the Big Ten! Don't believe me? Check out the last 10-15 of WR drafted from that garbage dump! Watch how much Decker's production drops when he's not in Denver next year. Hartline is a decent 3 at best.
Don't worry. 1st it's not just Baalke and Harbaugh. There are a lot of scouts involved too. Forget the 6th round picks. They don't usually overly impress. Especially at premier positions. Yes there are exceptions.

Of the 3 higher picks Crabtree had played well, Patton looks like he is well worth a 4th round pick and Jenkins was a bust. Everybody drafts a bust now and then.

Bill Walsh's 1st pick was a UCLA RB with the 1st pick in the 2nd round who never amounted to anything more than a KR. He also drafted Earl Cooper in the 1st round a RB from Rice who he later tried to convert to a TE and then just eventually let go. He drafted a LB in the 1st round who never really panned out as well.

We have had other 1st round pick busts as well. Remember Jim Dunkenstupid? The only thing he ever did right was date the playmate of the year Juli Lynn Cialini. We drafted Giovanni Carmazzi QB in the 3rd round I believe in the same draft that Tom Brady went later - ouch.

It's the overall that you judge. Everyone has busts. Walsh had busts but overall he was a great team builder. The current 49ers brain trust seem to be doing a pretty good job of team building.
Originally posted by Travisty13:

2000 - NA
2001 - NA
2002 - NA
2004 - NA
2005 - NA
2006 - NA
2007 - NA
2009 - Brandon Gibson
2010 - Antonio Brown
2012 - NA/too early
2013 - Too early

You're selling Antonio Brown very short. 2 1,000 yard seasons, another with close to 800 (not a full healthy season either) in 4 years. And Brown's had more thousand yards seasons (2 Brown; 1 Garcon) and only 10 less TDs in less time than Garcon. Brown is a far better WR than Pierre in my opinion. And a guy I think the Niners should draft, Brandin Cooks, reminds me alot of Brown.

Makes sense, though it doesn't change the basic premise of my post...essentially 2 WRs (Brown and Garcon) in the last 13 years drafted in the 6th round have produced. The overwhelming majority did either nothing or very little in the league so factoring our 2 failed picks (Williams and Johnson) in when asking the question "do we trust the 49ers to draft a WR" was kinda silly.