There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

AB's Annual Collaborative Mock Draft, picks thread DRAFT COMPLETED

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by communist:
It is not about Gilbert, it is about the Rams' needs. I will tell you the name as soon as the guy is gone.

Is it the guy 90% of mocks have going here ?

I think a lot of drafts have Rams picking a safety at that spot. I don't consider any safety in the draft worth taking in top 20.
Contraty to the CB-class, the class of the Safetes is really thin this year and the Rams have a need there.

And if we want to start a discussion then I would say, Gilbert is also not worth to be taken in the top15

By the way, iirc, a lot of people said that we reached for Eric Reid...
I'm here guys, sorry, showered, then had to talk with my dad on the phone.

Also a trade, Vikings 3rd (via Seattle) and conditional 2015 pick for Patriots Ryan Mallet and 2018 7th round pick.
Cowboys select FS Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix, Alabama.

They messed up not taking Eric Reid at 18 last year, but make up for their mistake, and take Clinton-Dix at 16.
At least, one of you does his job right

just kidding, 4ML
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Contraty to the CB-class, the class of the Safetes is really thin this year and the Rams have a need there.

And if we want to start a discussion then I would say, Gilbert is also not worth to be taken in the top15

By the way, iirc, a lot of people said that we reached for Eric Reid...

I think Gilbert is a top 10 talent...so we have a difference of opinion on him. Also, CB is a far more important position. I don't really believe in spending a top 10-15 pick on a safety unless you're landing a potential super-star.

IMO...outside of Sean Taylor, I haven't seen a draft prospect at the Safety position worth drafting in top 10 since I've been following drafts (approx 14 years).

We probably could have gotten Eric Reid at our spot...but I don't have a problem with us trading up to get a player we really like.
[ Edited by 4ML on Feb 9, 2014 at 2:02 PM ]
I do think that Safety is more and more important, given the pass-happiness in the league. you cannot count on your CBs in every play, especiialy when the offense spreads around.
Also, like I've already stated, the safety-class is thin this year and it is thin almost every year whereas you the draft is almost always loaded with CB-talent, more or less.

Solution: agree to disagree.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I do think that Safety is more and more important, given the pass-happiness in the league. you cannot count on your CBs in every play, especiialy when the offense spreads around.
Also, like I've already stated, the safety-class is thin this year and it is thin almost every year whereas you the draft is almost always loaded with CB-talent, more or less.

Solution: agree to disagree.

Of course...with more teams looking to pass...safeties are playing a bigger role and that goes for pass-rushers and CBs as well. If I have a need a pass-rush, CB, and safety...and I've a player at each position with similar rating...I'm going in that order. Pass-rush, CB, and safety.

Actually...because passing is the trend...your nickle CB is on the field more often than not. This means you need 3 good CBs on the roster.

Both franchise tag and transition tag for CB is 10.8M & 9.1M respectively. 3rd highest after QB and DE.
Franchise tag and transition tag for for Safety is 6.9M & 6M respectively. Only TEs have lower franchise tag price.
I think that safety is even more imporant given that he is the last guy between an opponent, who beat a CB, and the endzone. A safety has to recognize a play very fast, he has to be more physical, given that he also has to defend against the run and, like stated, he has to make up for the mistakes of his CBs.

Some teams still haven't recognized how important a safety can be, that is why they don't pay much, thus don't get the best guys at all and stay mediocre
I'm at work
I take a break every 80 min
So I'll be ready once my turn comes around
Cop?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I think that safety is even more imporant given that he is the last guy between an opponent, who beat a CB, and the endzone. A safety has to recognize a play very fast, he has to be more physical, given that he also has to defend against the run and, like stated, he has to make up for the mistakes of his CBs.

Some teams still haven't recognized how important a safety can be, that is why they don't pay much, thus don't get the best guys at all and stay mediocre

GMs are a lot smarter than you and I. Safeties are not paid ridiculous money because they can be replaced rather easily. Smart GMs don't pay a lot of money to safeties and guards.

This is why I feel we have an excellent GM. He drafts well and knows not to overpay either.
[ Edited by 4ML on Feb 9, 2014 at 4:27 PM ]
With the 17th overall pick in the first round the Baltimore Ravens select:

Taylor Lewan OT Michigan

I agree safties and guards are replaced easier them other positions
Unless of course they're a rare breed ala Ed reed and pre injury palumalu (sp)
Jets select marquise lee USC WR (sp)

Dolphins select zach martin OT nd