There are 200 users in the forums

1 QB drafted in the first round? who?

• xcfan
  • Veteran
the qbs--most with significant question marks regarding their early transition to starting nfl qb--face great competition from Proven talents at other positions. i'm starting to think that gm's, facing that uncertainty, pass on them early in the first. this is contrary to what most are thinking right now. but, i think the only qb taken early may be bridgwater, since he's a well-proven player whose only perceived negative is his slightly narrow build.

most of the mocks have bortles, manziel and maybe carr going in the first rd, but i think gm's get cold feet and teddy will be the only qb taken. there's even a chance teams pass on teddy early, and slide back into the late first to get him.
these guys are going to slide because they're not blue chip like the usual few guys every year.

will you be surprised to see the green room full of QBs at the end of day one?
[ Edited by xcfan on Feb 5, 2014 at 9:30 PM ]
It's inevitable that a handful of QB's go in the first. Houston, Cleveland, Oakland, Minnesota and Jacksonville all need have pressing holes at the position. At this point, Manziel/Bortles/Bridgewater will all go in the first. Carr may sneak his way up in the discussion but that's to be determined.

I would take Bortles first if I where a team with a QB need. He has a big arm and respectable movement skills for a QB prospect. He is the safest of the three with Manziel being a true scheme fit.
If there is only one picked, it would be Johnny Football taken by the Browns with either one of their first round picks. They just hired Kyle Shanahan as their OC who started with RG3. The scheme fit and the need for some excitement in Cleveland pretty much make this the obvious choice.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Feb 5, 2014 at 9:55 PM ]
Originally posted by xcfan:
the qbs--most with significant question marks regarding their early transition to starting nfl qb--face great competition from Proven talents at other positions. i'm starting to think that gm's, facing that uncertainty, pass on them early in the first. this is contrary to what most are thinking right now. but, i think the only qb taken early may be bridgwater, since he's a well-proven player whose only perceived negative is his slightly narrow build.

most of the mocks have bortles, manziel and maybe carr going in the first rd, but i think gm's get cold feet and teddy will be the only qb taken. there's even a chance teams pass on teddy early, and slide back into the late first to get him.
these guys are going to slide because they're not blue chip like the usual few guys every year.

I'm just shocked that your go against every mock and claim only one QB will be drafted in the first.

Schaub, Terrelle Pryor, Gabbert, Ponder and I don't even know who the QB's are for the Browns and Bucs. But these teams could definitely use Bortles, Manziel, Carr or Bridgewater.

I'll be surprised if any QB's are left in the green room passed pick 20.
You have to figure Manziel, Bortles and Bridgewater are locks for round 1. Then you'll have teams trading back or trading back into the first round to take a qb. Carr could go round 1 and I could see Mettenberger being picked at the end of the first round as well.
There's no way in hell that Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel and Carr aren't 1st round picks, not gonna happen.
Manziel, Bortles and Bridgewater should go in round 1.
Minimum 3. Minimum.
Each GM will have their own strategy, but I wouldn't take those guys top ten. If I was rebuilding a sh*tty team like the Raiders or Browns, I'd rebuild the defense first or O-line hoping those guys slip because many teams are already set at QB.
  • buck
  • Veteran
The more quarterbacks taken in the first round, the better for us.

I would like to see Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel and Carr taken in the first round.

The more offensive tackle taken in the first round the better for us.

I would like to see Jake Matthews, Greg Robinson, Taylor Lewan, Zack Martin and Cyrus Kouandjio taken in the first.

Many mocks I've seen have Carr going to the Vikings.
Originally posted by xcfan:
absolutely. Jags, Vikings, Browns and perhaps Texans and Raiders are in a BIG need of a QB.
No way they pass on one if they have to opportunity. Too much risk that he is gone by their next pick.

Don't forget about the Cardinals as well.
[ Edited by communist on Feb 6, 2014 at 3:46 AM ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Each GM will have their own strategy, but I wouldn't take those guys top ten. If I was rebuilding a sh*tty team like the Raiders or Browns, I'd rebuild the defense first or O-line hoping those guys slip because many teams are already set at QB.

The problem with this strategy is that if the rest of your team is decent, but you have a weak QB, than you are a 6-10 to 8-8 team, picking at the edge of the top 10. Then the best QBs are gone by your pick, and you are forced to pick a mediocre QB, or mortgage the farm to move up to get a Sanchez or Griffin. If you have a selection of top QBs at your current pick, and you don't have a solid QB, you are better off getting the QB first, and drafting the rest of the team later.
Houston is going to draft Bridgewater, assuming they don't trade down
as of now 2/6/14 sources are saying Blake Bortles to the Texans @ 1..

Maybe someone leapfrogs the Jags @ 3 and makes a trade with the Rams. (likely Minnesota, Oakland, or Cleveland)

If no trade is made, then maybe the Rams take a QB since Bradford really hasnt been a sucsess. OR they wait for the 2015 draft.

At any rate... Jax is in love with Teddy Bridgewater.

so that leaves Manzel most likely going to the Browns @ 4. (Which is hilarious b/c that would hurt his popularity.

Than Oakland and Minnesota fight over Carr.
[ Edited by Frisco69ers on Feb 6, 2014 at 1:35 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone