There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

My second Mock offseason

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Lynch will be gone before the 6th round - he's 6'5-6'6 with long arms and some ability to rush the passer. Going into the season, he was projected as a first round pick on a lot of sites and he's still a pretty good athlete with tremendous length who will test well at the combine. Only having 5 sacks this year is not going to drop him to the 6th round. Someone will take a shot on Logan Thomas before our late 7th round picks which are almost the equivalent of undrafted free agents.

I like Tuitt, Baptiste, and Bryant, but enough teams like Baptiste and Bryant that they may both be gone by then. A lot will depend on how Bryant tests at the combine.

Yeah most likely. It's too hard to project what'll happen between now and the draft. I just went off of CBSsports current projections and Lynch is projected in the 6th. Thomas is projected as a 7th or udfa. I do agree though, they likely go higher, but you just never know. Last year many thought Darrick rogers would go in the second round. He went on to go undrafted. Of course he had all the off the field concerns, but my point is guys rise and fall all the time in the draft for many different reasons. So I just stuck with the current projections by CBSsports.com
Originally posted by cools:
Nice draft, though were loaded with DL (Jerod-Eddie, Dorsey, Williams,Dial, Carradine, Okoye) they all seem like 4-3 DT's

Tuitt does seem like a solid 3-4 DE who can take Smiths place

Love all the other picks, cept the QB's and the NT (think were good with Dorsey, Dial, Williams)

I'd also like to see more detail with the free agency transactions
(Brown, Dawson, Wilhoite, Osgood, Wright, etc. Vet backup QB? *no way a rookie backs up Kap

Yeah I would feel more comfortable with a vet QB to backup Kap as well. I'd let McCoy compete again with another vet.
Overall I'd be happy with this draft. I doubt we go DE in 1st but if several WR/CB go before we select at 30, I could see Harbaalke surprising us. I like Cooks but love Bryant so that combo at WR is great. Dri Archer is someone I'm excited about. I have in rd 6 in my mock but if he runs a 4.2 he's gonna shoot way up. I like the Millard pick also
Originally posted by davidboutte:
Overall I'd be happy with this draft. I doubt we go DE in 1st but if several WR/CB go before we select at 30, I could see Harbaalke surprising us. I like Cooks but love Bryant so that combo at WR is great. Dri Archer is someone I'm excited about. I have in rd 6 in my mock but if he runs a 4.2 he's gonna shoot way up. I like the Millard pick also

agreed
DE STEPHON TUITT 6'6, 312, 4.92 40 NOTRE DAME ....He'z my draft crush so itz a A++++ draft who carez about tha rest lol ... N I totally agree with u about draftin D-line letz bull rush tha f*ck outta Seattle N tha NFL ....
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
DE STEPHON TUITT 6'6, 312, 4.92 40 NOTRE DAME ....He'z my draft crush so itz a A++++ draft who carez about tha rest lol ... N I totally agree with u about draftin D-line letz bull rush tha f*ck outta Seattle N tha NFL ....

Thats what im saying!
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by Heisenberg:
Stephon Tuitt, really?? With Tank Carradine and Quinton Dial waiting in the wings, there's no need to take a D-lineman that high. I'd hope they wait till the 4th or so later rounds to draft a D-lineman, perhaps maybe Beau Allen out of Wisconsin to rotate with Glenn Dorsey. Lets also not forget the 9ers have Tony Jerrodd-Eddie and Demarcus Dobbs whos prove very serviceable. As of right now I'd say CB should be the pick, no matter BPA or Need, CB should be the pick, crossing my fingers Darqueze Dennard is there, I really don't see Justin Gilbert being there at the 30th pick either.

And on a side note, I would love to pick up Charles Tillman via free agency, that guy has San Francisco 49er written all over him. Tillman would be my only sound of relief if the 9ers so happen to pass on a CB in the 1st.

Dial was a 5th round draft pick and doesn't bring much as a pass rusher. There is a lot of depth at corner in this draft, so we can still get quality guys a couple rounds later. You're not going to get a talent like Tuitt later. You see the kinds of things JJ Watt and Geno Atkins can do as interior pass rushers? Watt lines up all over the line and Tuitt could do something similar. Him paired with Tank on the line would bring a ferocious pass rush. The better your pass rush, the less time your secondary has to cover. You don't need Deion Sanders back there with a great pass rush. And we would still address the DB position in the next two rounds.

Signing Charles Tillman would require a relatively hefty contract. More than the niners are willing to pay.

Ray Mac, Justin Smith with Tank Carradine most likely being %100 next year would be an awesome enough 3-4/4-3 D-lin. Adding Tuit who no doubt has elite talent, would hardly imporve what needs to be fixed on the defense and its no secret the secondary needs immediate attention. Having Tuitt would be a luxury the 9ers don't really need, at the most for the next two years would be spot duty, when the 9ers could use and really need an immediate starter at CB. If you've noticed this year, the front-sven was hardly intact but still held up good enough to help get the 9ers into the post season. Where the 9ers really needed or could've used help was in the secondary where play after play was given up. Carlos Rogers is pretty much a goner, Tarrell Brown may not be back either and there's no telling how much of a set back Cullivers injury has effected his play. Going into the season not addressing the secondary like it should be could set the defense back like it was in 1999. And let's also not forget, Donte Whitner may also not be back, sure his position may not effect the reasoning in drafting a CB, but it sure will weaken the secondary even more.

As for Tillman, there's no telling what his contract demands will be, its not that Chicago can't afford him, its just that he wants to test free agency. With his age, I don't suspect his price will be that high or long of a contract.
[ Edited by Heisenberg on Feb 4, 2014 at 6:31 PM ]
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Stephon Tuitt, really?? With Tank Carradine and Quinton Dial waiting in the wings, there's no need to take a D-lineman that high. I'd hope they wait till the 4th or so later rounds to draft a D-lineman, perhaps maybe Beau Allen out of Wisconsin to rotate with Glenn Dorsey. Lets also not forget the 9ers have Tony Jerrodd-Eddie and Demarcus Dobbs whos prove very serviceable. As of right now I'd say CB should be the pick, no matter BPA or Need, CB should be the pick, crossing my fingers Darqueze Dennard is there, I really don't see Justin Gilbert being there at the 30th pick either.

And on a side note, I would love to pick up Charles Tillman via free agency, that guy has San Francisco 49er written all over him. Tillman would be my only sound of relief if the 9ers so happen to pass on a CB in the 1st.

Dial was a 5th round draft pick and doesn't bring much as a pass rusher. There is a lot of depth at corner in this draft, so we can still get quality guys a couple rounds later. You're not going to get a talent like Tuitt later. You see the kinds of things JJ Watt and Geno Atkins can do as interior pass rushers? Watt lines up all over the line and Tuitt could do something similar. Him paired with Tank on the line would bring a ferocious pass rush. The better your pass rush, the less time your secondary has to cover. You don't need Deion Sanders back there with a great pass rush. And we would still address the DB position in the next two rounds.

Signing Charles Tillman would require a relatively hefty contract. More than the niners are willing to pay.

Ray Mac, Justin Smith with Tank Carradine most likely being %100 next year would be an awesome enough 3-4/4-3 D-lin. Adding Tuit who no doubt has elite talent, would hardly imporve what needs to be fixed on the defense and its no secret the secondary needs immediate attention. Having Tuitt would be a luxury the 9ers don't really need, at the most for the next two years would be spot duty, when the 9ers could use and really need an immediate starter at CB. If you've noticed this year, the front-sven was hardly intact but still held up good enough to help get the 9ers into the post season. Where the 9ers really needed or could've used help was in the secondary where play after play was given up. Carlos Rogers is pretty much a goner, Tarrell Brown may not be back either and there's no telling how much of a set back Cullivers injury has effected his play. Going into the season not addressing the secondary like it should be could set the defense back like it was in 1999. And let's also not forget, Donte Whitner may also not be back, sure his position may not effect the reasoning in drafting a CB, but it sure will weaken the secondary even more.

As for Tillman, there's no telling what his contract demands will be, its not that Chicago can't afford him, its just that he wants to test free agency. With his age, I don't suspect his price will be that high or long of a contract.

So Tank Carradine will be healthy, but Culliver might not be? We don't know what either of those guys will be like coming off of injuries. We do know though that Culliver is a very good corner in the league when he's healthy. The jury is out on Carradine, although I do think he will be good.

And notice how I resigned Whitner in my mock, and drafted two corners in the first three rounds. Just because I didn't take a corner with the very first pick, doesn't mean I'm not addressing the secondary. Joyner and Baptiste are damn good dbs. Not as highly touted as Dennard and Gilbert, but they too can be studs in this league.

And again, the pass rush will help any secondary. Look at how well the Panthers secondary played this year because of how good their pass rush was. Culliver, Brock, Joyner, and Baptiste is a good set of corners with lots of potential. And if we end up having the money to sign a free agent corner of starting caliber (which I don't think we will if we sign Boldin and Whitner), I'd take Sam Shields over Tillman. Tillman is getting up there in years.

This would give you more bang for your buck. As I said, corner is relatively deep in this draft and we can still get some very good corners in rounds 2-3.
It looks good, but we only need one receiver if we resign Boldin. I would definitely be down for more pass rush especially up the middle from the dline.
Oh man. If we got Tuitt I would be so happy. He's gonna be such a monster in the NFL.
not sure how to react to this lol. You do address the DB and get us a speed WR and a new C and u have Witner and Boldin coming back. But the DL in the 1st round I'm just not sure about. I understand what you are saying about loading up on DL but I feel like we already have that.

NT: Dorsey, Williams, Dial
DE: J.Smith, Ray Mac, TJE, Tank and maybe Dobbs if we resign him and we have that Olympian dude developing.

I want impact players in the first 2 rounds at least and I think although our roster is loaded, we have some areas of need, we did a nice job drafting for future needs last year by getting Lattimore and Tank to supplement Gore and Smith later on when they are gone. TJE showed at least IMO that he can be a starter in this league. CB, WR and maybe SS depending on what happens with Whitner and possibly C depending on if the staff thinks Kilgore/Looney will take over are immediate needs I'd like to see us solve first. Personally, I'd love to see 2 CBs a safety and 2 WRs taken in the first 3 rounds.

With all that said, I still can't hate on this though.
F-ing love this draft! My only switch would be to draft another safety instead of Logan Thomas in case Joyner sticks at CB. Someone like Jonathan Dowling if there or Christian Bryant to give Dahl competition, no need to draft two QBs
Originally posted by lucky_49:
a DE in the first round?

f**k yeah, I love it. If we could fill the holes like he did. Awesome draft. Only pick I would substitute is the last one. Instead of Thomas, I would take a flyer on Colt Lyerla, the TE who left Oregon and has some off the field issues
I actually started to touch myself dreaming about this draft...no seriously....
Great draft ! Love it! I could see us having to use a couple of the later picks to move up and get guys we have targeted.. Fortunately, we have that luxury ! " CANT WAIT "