Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

My second Mock offseason

Key Resignings- WR Anquan Boldin, SS Donte Whitner

Key Cuts- CB Carlos Rogers

R1
DE STEPHON TUITT 6'6, 312, 4.92 40
NOTRE DAME
(very good pass rusher, eventual replacement for Mcdonald or Smith who will make one hell of a tandem with Tank Carradine. Interior DL on pass rushing downs)

R2
WR BRANDIN COOKS 5'10, 186, 4.45 40
OREGON STATE
(Quick, shifty, and fast receiver who put up big numbers. The type of guy you need to beat those Seattle DBs

R2
CB/S LAMARCUS JOYNER 5'8, 190, 4.34
FLORIDA STATE
(I envision him as a slot corner initially and perhaps our Free Safety later on when Whitner leaves. Could have Reid slide over to strong safety)

R3
CB STANLEY JEAN- BAPTISTE 6'3, 214, 4.56 40
NEBRASKA
(Our attempt at getting a Richard Sherman type corner. Dude plays slot and outside)

R3
WR MARTAVIS BRYANT 6'4, 200, 4.3 40
CLEMSON
(We got the shifty fast receiver, and now we get the big bodied guy that can stretch the field)

Alternative pick here: WR Donte Moncrief

R3
C BRYANT STORK 6'4, 306, 5.20 40
FLORIDA STATE
(Goodwins replacement)

R4
DT JUSTIN ELLIS 6'2, 342, 5.3 40
LOUISIANA TECH
(Compete for the nose tackle job with Ian Williams and Glenn Dorsey)

Alternative pick here: DT Daniel McCullers Tennessee

R5
QB DAVID FALES 6'2, 220, 4.9 40
SAN JOSE STATE
(Solid backup QB)

R6
OLB AARON LYNCH 6'4, 250, 4.7 40
SOUTH FLORIA
(OLB and pass rushing depth)

R7
RB/WR/KR/PR DRI ARCHER 5'8, 180, 4.27 40
KENT STATE
(Game changing speed. Will be our return man and possibly a guy we can use occasionally on offense in multiple positions)

R7
FB TREY MILLARD 6'2, 253, 4.64 40
OKLAHOMA
(Redshirt and then use as backup to miller and/or in delanie walker type of role)

R7
QB LOGAN THOMAS 6'6, 250, 4.67 40
VIRGINIA TECH
(Project at QB or another position)

So hopefully Wilhoite, Moody or perhaps a free agent can fill in for Bowman while he gets healthy.
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Feb 4, 2014 at 5:18 PM ]
a DE in the first round?
id trade the ILB for a center or guard and its great! i think moody and wilhoite can hold down bowmans spot for now
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
id trade the ILB for a center or guard and its great! i think moody and wilhoite can hold down bowmans spot for now

Dammit I knew I forgot something. I need to put a center in there somewhere.
Originally posted by lucky_49:
a DE in the first round?

Yup. You can never have enough defensive lineman that can get after the passer. The more pass rushers whether at DE or OLB the better. Having Tuitt, Carradine, Aldon, Ahmad all coming after the QB at one time would be a very scary sight for opposing teams. Tuitt can also play dt in our nickel D. Look at what the Seahawks did with all the pass rushers they have
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
a DE in the first round?

Yup. You can never have enough defensive lineman that can get after the passer. The more pass rushers whether at DE or OLB the better. Having Tuitt, Carradine, Aldon, Ahmad all coming after the QB at one time would be a very scary sight for opposing teams. Tuitt can also play dt in our nickel D. Look at what the Seahawks did with all the pass rushers they have

I definitely agree with you in that pass rush is key, but I also think that ours is good enough atm that if we upgraded secondary more, our D would just be nasty.
a DE in the first round?

I definitely agree with you in that pass rush is key, but I also think that ours is good enough atm that if we upgraded secondary more, our D would just be nasty.

Yeah and we would with Joyner and Baptiste. Plus were going to have Culliver coming back, who was arguably our best corner in 2012. Hopefully he is back to his normal self
a DE in the first round?

Yeah and we would with Joyner and Baptiste. Plus were going to have Culliver coming back, who was arguably our best corner in 2012. Hopefully he is back to his normal self

Well I can definitely see your point, I just get concerned about drafting too much for depth and not enough for filling.
I'd be very, very satisfied if this happened.

Quick and speedy WR option(s) in Cooks and Bryant.

Improved secondary adding Joyner and Stanley Jean, two of my favorite CBs prospects in the draft and adding solid center in Stork.

Fales in the fifth round seems a bit unrealistic but I'd love it if it can work. Also really like the Archer and Millard picks.

I'm not even mad you have us taking a DE in the first round because you made it work adding much needed speed to the WR core, strengthening the secondary, a solid center, and getting good value out of our ammo in the first few rounds adding instant impact and game changing players to the roster. Well done.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
I'd be very, very satisfied if this happened.

Quick and speedy WR option(s) in Cooks and Bryant.

Improved secondary adding Joyner and Stanley Jean, two of my favorite CBs prospects in the draft and adding solid center in Stork.

Fales in the fifth round seems a bit unrealistic but I'd love it if it can work. Also really like the Archer and Millard picks.

I'm not even mad you have us taking a DE in the first round because you made it work adding much needed speed to the WR core, strengthening the secondary, a solid center, and getting good value out of our ammo in the first few rounds adding instant impact and game changing players to the roster. Well done.

Thanks. It would be pretty awesome if it went down like this, but probably some of these guys are going to have their stock continue to rise, especially after the combine. I guess it's possible they could slip though too. Long time between now and the draft.
Stephon Tuitt, really?? With Tank Carradine and Quinton Dial waiting in the wings, there's no need to take a D-lineman that high. I'd hope they wait till the 4th or so later rounds to draft a D-lineman, perhaps maybe Beau Allen out of Wisconsin to rotate with Glenn Dorsey. Lets also not forget the 9ers have Tony Jerrodd-Eddie and Demarcus Dobbs whos prove very serviceable. As of right now I'd say CB should be the pick, no matter BPA or Need, CB should be the pick, crossing my fingers Darqueze Dennard is there, I really don't see Justin Gilbert being there at the 30th pick either.

And on a side note, I would love to pick up Charles Tillman via free agency, that guy has San Francisco 49er written all over him. Tillman would be my only sound of relief if the 9ers so happen to pass on a CB in the 1st.
  • bors
  • Veteran
Really like this draft
Lynch will be gone before the 6th round - he's 6'5-6'6 with long arms and some ability to rush the passer. Going into the season, he was projected as a first round pick on a lot of sites and he's still a pretty good athlete with tremendous length who will test well at the combine. Only having 5 sacks this year is not going to drop him to the 6th round. Someone will take a shot on Logan Thomas before our late 7th round picks which are almost the equivalent of undrafted free agents.

I like Tuitt, Baptiste, and Bryant, but enough teams like Baptiste and Bryant that they may both be gone by then. A lot will depend on how Bryant tests at the combine.
Originally posted by Heisenberg:
Stephon Tuitt, really?? With Tank Carradine and Quinton Dial waiting in the wings, there's no need to take a D-lineman that high. I'd hope they wait till the 4th or so later rounds to draft a D-lineman, perhaps maybe Beau Allen out of Wisconsin to rotate with Glenn Dorsey. Lets also not forget the 9ers have Tony Jerrodd-Eddie and Demarcus Dobbs whos prove very serviceable. As of right now I'd say CB should be the pick, no matter BPA or Need, CB should be the pick, crossing my fingers Darqueze Dennard is there, I really don't see Justin Gilbert being there at the 30th pick either.

And on a side note, I would love to pick up Charles Tillman via free agency, that guy has San Francisco 49er written all over him. Tillman would be my only sound of relief if the 9ers so happen to pass on a CB in the 1st.

Dial was a 5th round draft pick and doesn't bring much as a pass rusher. There is a lot of depth at corner in this draft, so we can still get quality guys a couple rounds later. You're not going to get a talent like Tuitt later. You see the kinds of things JJ Watt and Geno Atkins can do as interior pass rushers? Watt lines up all over the line and Tuitt could do something similar. Him paired with Tank on the line would bring a ferocious pass rush. The better your pass rush, the less time your secondary has to cover. You don't need Deion Sanders back there with a great pass rush. And we would still address the DB position in the next two rounds.

Signing Charles Tillman would require a relatively hefty contract. More than the niners are willing to pay.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Nice draft, though were loaded with DL (Jerod-Eddie, Dorsey, Williams,Dial, Carradine, Okoye) they all seem like 4-3 DT's

Tuitt does seem like a solid 3-4 DE who can take Smiths place

Love all the other picks, cept the QB's and the NT (think were good with Dorsey, Dial, Williams)

I'd also like to see more detail with the free agency transactions
(Brown, Dawson, Wilhoite, Osgood, Wright, etc. Vet backup QB? *no way a rookie backs up Kap