LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Left Defensive End or Left Bench?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Our defense still struggles to shut down good offenses. Which defensive starter would you bench first, if you could replace him with a 1st Round pick?
parys haralson he got outran by mcnabb
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

and chris johnson, and vince young.....
This preseason TC will have to determine whether Balmer, D. Evans, RJF, McDonald and K. Mitchell have what it takes to be the backups for the Dline. We know that SF has clearly spoken re Smith and Franklin. Sopoaga will be retained. All of the rest of the line will need to prove themselves again. We could conceivably draft D. Williams at NT and J. Odrick at LDE. That would firm up the line and let the rest fight for backup at RDE. So lots to be decided on the Dline but we have two probowl players on the Dline - that is good. We need one more probowler and some quality backups.
  • WiL7
  • Veteran
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

And should have secured the edge and made the takle on addai before he threw the gw touchdown...

[ Edited by WiL7 on Apr 7, 2010 at 13:44:47 ]
I'm not going to knock our defense. They played hella hard and WILL get better.
i would bench michael lewis, he is a dying breed of safety who cant cover that well and is only in there to blitz and stop the run, plus the concussions problems
Originally posted by crabman82:
i would bench michael lewis, he is a dying breed of safety who cant cover that well and is only in there to blitz and stop the run, plus the concussions problems

Agreed, because of the way rules have changed, passing has really taken over and in-the-box safeties just don't have the same kind of impact anymore.
Originally posted by znk916:

Agreed, because of the way rules have changed, passing has really taken over and in-the-box safeties just don't have the same kind of impact anymore.

Agree with this for sure.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for foreign49er.
Originally posted by tohara3:

Agreed, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 49ers use a high pick on a safety.

Originally posted by foreign49er:

yup earl thomas at FS goldson to SS
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Gotta say... The idea of Goldson at SS and E. Thomas at FS is starting to sound nicer and nicer. As long as we get an OL with #13 and another CB/PR somewhere... I like our odds getting into the playoffs
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

Gotta say... The idea of Goldson at SS and E. Thomas at FS is starting to sound nicer and nicer. As long as we get an OL with #13 and another CB/PR somewhere... I like our odds getting into the playoffs

Is the team willing to pay top dollar on 2 safeties though? Would be nice, but I believe the team would draft a corner before Thomas unless they believe he can play corner, but he doesnt have the size the 49ers typically look for in CBs. That being said Id like to thnk the niners will draft OL at 13, CB at 17, and im hoping we get Best or McCluster in the 2nd or third and maybe Nate Allen in the 2nd or 3d, or if we landed Thomas Id like a guy like Patrick Robinson in the 2-4th
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

Is the team willing to pay top dollar on 2 safeties though? Would be nice, but I believe the team would draft a corner before Thomas unless they believe he can play corner, but he doesnt have the size the 49ers typically look for in CBs. That being said Id like to thnk the niners will draft OL at 13, CB at 17, and im hoping we get Best or McCluster in the 2nd or third and maybe Nate Allen in the 2nd or 3d, or if we landed Thomas Id like a guy like Patrick Robinson in the 2-4th

I agree drafting a S isn't feasable in the 1st round. This team needs to address the CB position. CB is one of the few positions in this draft that isn't considered deep. What the 9ers need to decide is do they want to gamble and spend the 13th pick on Joe Haden or do they like Kyle Wilson enough to take him at 17.

I personally would be biting my nails off if we passed on a OT again with our 1st pick. If one of the 5 best OL are available (okung, thomas, bulaga, davis, iutai (spelling)) we need to take them doesn't matter who's on the board IMO.

To finally address the thread I think this team is pretty deep at DE as is. Smith is a pro bowler, Soap is a solid starter, Balmer isn't at the point where you would give up on a 1st round pick, McDonald is a very solid backup and RJF has alot of potential.
Originally posted by WiL7:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

And should have secured the edge and made the takle on addai before he threw the gw touchdown...

This was tougher then that vikes loss imo! But yeah shoulda coulda rite,
Share 49ersWebzone