There are 222 users in the forums

what to do with all the picks?

Clearly they will not draft 13 players. There's no chance in hell of them could make the roster (plus there's Tank and Lattimore from last year). I think they'll both trade up (like we did last year with Reid), and trade for 2013 picks (like we did when we traded back, selected Tank, and picked up a 3rd this year). You'll almost certainly see both things happen this year.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
I still do not believe we need to use our 1st round pick on a WR. Lets assume we re-sign Boldin.
Crabtree, Boldin, Patton. Thats 3 WRS. What percentage of our plays even had 3 WRS on the field?? My guess is extremely low. So where would our 1st draft pick WR fit and how much playing time would he actiually get? (Of course this assumes Boldin is retained).

Winning in the trenches and having a top QB are still the keys to winning. Seattle had a nice rotation of D-lineman to pressure QBs constantly for all 4 Qs. We need that depth this year with Tank, Ian Williams etc.

I would suggest drafting defensive players before offense as we run a heavy dose of the run game with (Gore, Hunter, LMJ, Lattimore) on the roster currently. Drafting a WR in 1st round to play 5-10 plays a game isnt the correct move. find a WR in 2nd or 3rd round (Keenan Allen last year).

Seattle showed past 2 years you dont need superstar WRS to win. they win with defense, run game and mobile QB.

We "need" whatever the best player available is at any position where we can improve at or plan for the future. I think right now, those positions include: WR, CB, DL, LB, and S. Here's why, for each position:

WR: Crabtree (expiring contract soon), Boldin (expiring contract this year, age), Patton (unproven)
CB: Rogers (likely cut due to contract), Culliver (coming off major injury), Brown (contract), Wright (contract), Cox (contract)
DL: Justin Smith (age), McDonald (injury history), Carradine (injury, unproven), Dial (unproven), Okoye (developmental), Williams (injury)
LB: Wilhoite (expiring contract), Bowman (severe injury), Moody (unproven)
S: Whitner (expiring contract this year), Dahl (horrible), Reid (multiple concussions early, unfortunately)
Don't forget Center. With so many positions of need and so many picks in a deep draft the 49ers are in a position for a draft of major impact. If a WR we love falls in the 1st round we could grab him or go with the best CB or S or a DL to rotate in with Justin Smith and McDonald. We have so many options.

The best part is Baalke always gets the better of trades. Our move up in the 1st last year should have costed us a 2nd round pick and we payed a 3rd. Our move back in the 2nd round should have netted a 5th and we got a 3rd for it. He always pays less to move up and charges more to move back. I hope he b***h slaps some more NFL GM's this year.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Clearly they will not draft 13 players. There's no chance in hell of them could make the roster (plus there's Tank and Lattimore from last year). I think they'll both trade up (like we did last year with Reid), and trade for 2013 picks (like we did when we traded back, selected Tank, and picked up a 3rd this year). You'll almost certainly see both things happen this year.

Once again they will be replacing a lot of players. People said there was no way that they'd draft as many players as they did last year either and look what happened? I don't doubt they'll try to acquire some picks for 2015 either.

Anthony Dixon
Jonathan Goodwin
Tarell Brown
Carlos Rogers
Colt McCoy
Jon Baldwin

Just a short sampling of guys that could be gone, that doesn't include Whitner and Boldin potentially leaving and a couple others.
I fully expect the Niners to trade up in the 1st. The question is, what else will they do?

According to the standard draft chart (used as worst case scenario):

1/30 = 640
2/61 = 292
= 912
1/18 = 900

2/61 =292
3/94 =124
=416
2/48=420

That leaves them with:

1/18
2/48
2/56
3/77
3rd (comp Goldson)
4th 125
5th 158
6th 189
3x7th
The Niners were pretty loaded last year and still used 11 out of their 13 picks. Like Phoenix said , the Niners have a lot of veteran players they need to replace plus shore up their areas of need. I think Baalke will let the draft unfold like he did last year and make the smart moves we are accustomed to seeing.
I just pray to God they trade up and take Watkins or Lee OR trade up and take Gilbert the corner from Oklahoma State.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
The Niners were pretty loaded last year and still used 11 out of their 13 picks. Like Phoenix said , the Niners have a lot of veteran players they need to replace plus shore up their areas of need. I think Baalke will let the draft unfold like he did last year and make the smart moves we are accustomed to seeing.

Last year they did trade up, and how many of those 11 picks were signed away by other teams?

I agree that the Niners need to groom younger players to be ready to step in. But J Also Think They Need quality over quantity.
2 wr's.
2 cb's
1 SS unless whitner is resigned than less of a priority.
1 Dline Possible Nt, Justins replacement.
1 Center/OG
1 Qb
1 ILB
1 Random player the will change positions and he'll become a stud.
All other picks trade to acquire these players
Sure we can just sit were we pick and take what falls to us but I don't think that's what we should do.

Be proactive and move up if needed to get the guy/guys who we think makes a difference.

We did it last year and it worked out. It also worked out back in the day when we moved up to take Jerry.

If there is a wr, db or dl that we grade out much higher than where we are picking in the 1st and 2nd, package picks and move up and get those dudes.

I really think this a crucial draft and we have to hit on at least a couple of these players to turn into very solid players to pro bowl quality players. If not, age and FA will start to pull at the team in the near future.
Originally posted by Butter:
I fully expect the Niners to trade up in the 1st. The question is, what else will they do?

1/30 = 640
2/61 = 292
= 912
1/18 = 900

2/61 =292
3/94 =124
=416
2/48=420

That leaves them with:

1/18
2/48
2/56
3/77
3rd (comp Goldson)
4th 125
5th 158
6th 189
3x7th

last year we traded

Rnd 1 #31 (600pts) for Rnd 1 #18 (900pts) We paid a 3rd #74 (220pts) should have paid 300pts save 80 pts value: pick 107 early 4th Rnd

Rnd 2 #34 (560pts) for Rnd 2 #40 (500pts) We netted a 3rd pick #77 this year (205pts) should have got 60 pts get extra 145 pts value: pick 89 late 3rd Rnd

Rnd 2 #61 (292pts) for Rnd 2 #55 (350pts) We paid a 6th #173 (23pts) should have paid 58 pts save 35 pts value: pick 142 mid 5th Rnd

Let's hope Baalke keeps making the other Gm's his Biatch.

Originally posted by MC9BEAT:

1/30 = 640
2/61 = 292
= 912
1/18 = 900

2/61 =292
3/94 =124
=416
2/48=420

That leaves them with:

1/18
2/48
2/56
3/77
3rd (comp Goldson)
4th 125
5th 158
6th 189
3x7th

last year we traded

Rnd 1 #31 (600pts) for Rnd 1 #18 (900pts) We paid a 3rd #74 (220pts) should have paid 300pts save 80 pts value: pick 107 early 4th Rnd

Rnd 2 #34 (560pts) for Rnd 2 #40 (500pts) We netted a 3rd pick #77 this year (205pts) should have got 60 pts get extra 145 pts value: pick 89 late 3rd Rnd

Rnd 2 #61 (292pts) for Rnd 2 #55 (350pts) We paid a 6th #173 (23pts) should have paid 58 pts save 35 pts value: pick 142 mid 5th Rnd

Let's hope Baalke keeps making the other Gm's his Biatch.

Agreed. That's why I said worst case scenario. I'd really like them to trade up to target one of the top CB, but I don't know if either of them will be good value long term.
trade up for a top 10, or even top 5 pick.
I don't think they stay at #30 that's for sure. If a team like the Raiders, vikings, or Titans pass on a QB and they make us a sweet offer to move up to pick one then trading down would be great. On the other hand, we have a lot of picks, trade up 15 or so picks to get the best CB or WR (if Boldin leaves).

1/30 = 640
2/61 = 292
= 912
1/18 = 900

2/61 =292
3/94 =124
=416
2/48=420

That leaves them with:

1/18
2/48
2/56
3/77
3rd (comp Goldson)
4th 125
5th 158
6th 189
3x7th

I like this scenario.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I don't think they stay at #30 that's for sure. If a team like the Raiders, vikings, or Titans pass on a QB and they make us a sweet offer to move up to pick one then trading down would be great. On the other hand, we have a lot of picks, trade up 15 or so picks to get the best CB or WR (if Boldin leaves).

If they could swing pick #30 for Raiders' 2015 first rounder that would be AWESOME
Share 49ersWebzone