LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

what to do with all the picks?

I personally would like to trade down in the top of the 2nd round and pick up a 4th round pick or a 3rd for next year.Select players based on best player available .Use picks from the 5th on down and draft injured players and place them on the pup list as what was done this last past year.
Trading down and stocking picks for the next draft is always a game plan I like. This year though i wouldn't mid trading up for a guys like Mike Evans depending on how he test at the combine. Then we could trade some of our other picks away, especially if we get comp picks for Dashon. For example we could trade our 3rd away and use the 3rd or 4th round comp pick to snag a player we covet....win win.
Use them wisely to get the best players for our team. We need a lot of hole filled and improvement in the OLine, and the WRs and Backfield. We need a RB, Center, two WRs, two CBs, a safety, and best players available to develop backup talent. So again I trust Ballke will fill in a lot of holes for us.
Move up into the mid-late teens like last year. Get best CB, S, WR in that area.

Pick 3-5 guys to Red Shirt - Easley at the top of the list. Our roster has some excellent player some of whom we may lose to FA in a year or two.

Since we'll be picking near the bottom again because of our very good record; we won't be able to get any top tier selections. Just like we did w/Lattimore & Tank.

Trade some away for the following draft.
Whatever they do, trade up or down, the best thing for this team IMO is draft immediate impact starter guys. The windows on the 49ers championship hopes are closing. They need a huge splash in this draft, because 2012 was terrible, 2011 stars need to talk long term and 2013 is still improving.
Be like Phoenix Suns majority owner Robert Sarver and sell them off for millions of dollars and a lifetime's supply of foam fingers?
Originally posted by adrenaline:
Whatever they do, trade up or down, the best thing for this team IMO is draft immediate impact starter guys. The windows on the 49ers championship hopes are closing. They need a huge splash in this draft, because 2012 was terrible, 2011 stars need to talk long term and 2013 is still improving.

Where do people get this "window is closing" rhetoric from? The only way you guarantee your "window is closing" is by making rash, stupid decisions and blowing through draft picks like Lindsay Lohan blows through cocaine. If the 49ers draft wisely, they can keep their "window" open for a long time.

Kaepernick, Willis, Bowman, Crabtree, Aldon, Reid, Patton, Lattimore, VD, McDonald, none of those guys are ancient by any stretch.

If anything, they need to keep building depth, injuries will happen, depth is crucial. There's very few players in the draft that are a "sure thing", so keep building the team, keep planning to replace guys 2-3 years down the road, not when it happens.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Where do people get this "window is closing" rhetoric from? The only way you guarantee your "window is closing" is by making rash, stupid decisions and blowing through draft picks like Lindsay Lohan blows through cocaine. If the 49ers draft wisely, they can keep their "window" open for a long time.

Kaepernick, Willis, Bowman, Crabtree, Aldon, Reid, Patton, Lattimore, VD, McDonald, none of those guys are ancient by any stretch.

If anything, they need to keep building depth, injuries will happen, depth is crucial. There's very few players in the draft that are a "sure thing", so keep building the team, keep planning to replace guys 2-3 years down the road, not when it happens.

Oh good, thank you. That saved me the trouble of responding. Baalke is building this team to last.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I was speaking in terms of how competitive the NFC is, especially the NFC West. I agree with everything you said.
I was speaking in terms of how competitive the NFC is, especially the NFC West. I agree with everything you said.

All the other teams have their own respective issues, I think the 49ers need to keep building for the long haul, keep planning to replace guys that are aging out or that they won't be able to sign, keep being active in the draft and acquiring picks in future years. I do agree that they need to add some high quality prospects, particularly at CB and WR but I hope they continue to be responsible, make smart moves, keep this team building up and being successful not just two or three years from now but five, six, even seven years down the road.

I still do not believe we need to use our 1st round pick on a WR. Lets assume we re-sign Boldin.
Crabtree, Boldin, Patton. Thats 3 WRS. What percentage of our plays even had 3 WRS on the field?? My guess is extremely low. So where would our 1st draft pick WR fit and how much playing time would he actiually get? (Of course this assumes Boldin is retained).

Winning in the trenches and having a top QB are still the keys to winning. Seattle had a nice rotation of D-lineman to pressure QBs constantly for all 4 Qs. We need that depth this year with Tank, Ian Williams etc.

I would suggest drafting defensive players before offense as we run a heavy dose of the run game with (Gore, Hunter, LMJ, Lattimore) on the roster currently. Drafting a WR in 1st round to play 5-10 plays a game isnt the correct move. find a WR in 2nd or 3rd round (Keenan Allen last year).

Seattle showed past 2 years you dont need superstar WRS to win. they win with defense, run game and mobile QB.
They have to draft some top quality level corners. If they can move up for a guy like they did last year for Reid that would be ideal. They got the ammo to make moves. The team is very deep. If you have to give up some picks in later years go for it. Take a risk.
Move em to move up and back. Its the formula that is going to allow us to sustain success longer than Seattle. They mortgaged a chunk of their future on a gimmick player/kick returner who is habitually hurt.
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
I still do not believe we need to use our 1st round pick on a WR. Lets assume we re-sign Boldin.
Crabtree, Boldin, Patton. Thats 3 WRS. What percentage of our plays even had 3 WRS on the field?? My guess is extremely low. So where would our 1st draft pick WR fit and how much playing time would he actiually get? (Of course this assumes Boldin is retained).

Winning in the trenches and having a top QB are still the keys to winning. Seattle had a nice rotation of D-lineman to pressure QBs constantly for all 4 Qs. We need that depth this year with Tank, Ian Williams etc.

I would suggest drafting defensive players before offense as we run a heavy dose of the run game with (Gore, Hunter, LMJ, Lattimore) on the roster currently. Drafting a WR in 1st round to play 5-10 plays a game isnt the correct move. find a WR in 2nd or 3rd round (Keenan Allen last year).

Seattle showed past 2 years you dont need superstar WRS to win. they win with defense, run game and mobile QB.

We "need" whatever the best player available is at any position where we can improve at or plan for the future. I think right now, those positions include: WR, CB, DL, LB, and S. Here's why, for each position:

WR: Crabtree (expiring contract soon), Boldin (expiring contract this year, age), Patton (unproven)
CB: Rogers (likely cut due to contract), Culliver (coming off major injury), Brown (contract), Wright (contract), Cox (contract)
DL: Justin Smith (age), McDonald (injury history), Carradine (injury, unproven), Dial (unproven), Okoye (developmental), Williams (injury)
LB: Wilhoite (expiring contract), Bowman (severe injury), Moody (unproven)
S: Whitner (expiring contract this year), Dahl (horrible), Reid (multiple concussions early, unfortunately)
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Move em to move up and back. Its the formula that is going to allow us to sustain success longer than Seattle. They mortgaged a chunk of their future on a gimmick player/kick returner who is habitually hurt.

I really don't see giving up those picks they did for Harvin as mortgaging a chunk of the future. His contract might hinder them more than the draft picks. If you got a deep roster why not add a proven play maker? Though Harvin can't stay healthy doesn't mean it can't work out on another player. Now what the Redskins did for RG3 on the other hand was going overboard and selling out your future.
Share 49ersWebzone