LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Bruce Ellington-WR-South Carolina

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Ellington reminds me of Freddie Solomon. Same body type and size. Love the pick.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He throws it down pretty well too.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap2000000341318/Draft-prospect-Ellington-shows-off-dunking-ability

He needs to teach Vernon how to dunk
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
What is good about this guy? He is so small. I see conflicting reports about his 40 time. Some say 4.45. Some say 4.37. That's a big difference if you ask me. Some claim hand held times lower than that even. So which one is it?

No one's asking you.

For 5'9" he is he solid ... goes 190+ I believe. And his vertical is way above avg. Look at the clips, he can win the jump ball ... that is where his basketball background will pay off. As far as his times, who knows. Supposedly ran back to back 4.3's at one event. Even if it is more 4.4-4.5, speed is only one measurable. The greatest receiver of all time was not a 4.3 guy.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
boys and girls. please stop comparing every slow receiver to jerry rice. k,thx,bye.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by Buchy:
Originally posted by Andra:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Getting Ellington in the 4th or later would be such a steal. It would make my panties moist.

you = girl or guy?

yes (I know), some guys wear panties...

Non panty wearing guy. But if we get Ellington I will put on my wife's and run around until they are nice and moist

Post the video

Andra, we're glad that you are a man of your word. Now, do us all a solid and put it on Youtube!

Ante up, my man, or should I say panty up
You don't want to see that. Hairy pasty white skin that has never seen the sun, let alone my little boy size dong floping around in my wife's drawers
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
You don't want to see that. Hairy pasty white skin that has never seen the sun, let alone my little boy size dong floping around in my wife's drawers

That turns me on... c'mone dude, post it!!!

Originally posted by mayo49:
Ellington reminds me of Freddie Solomon. Same body type and size. Love the pick.

If he turns out to be like Freddy we did very well. IMO, don't know for sure, but he's faster.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Thanks for the insight on Ellington. What's your insight on Marcus Lattimore. Really curious about him, I would love lattimore to do well. Can he be a gamebreaking back? Does he have an extra gear?

Everybody I've spoken to with the football program at South Carolina(where Lattimore trains a good bit of his time when not training with the 49ers) says he's totally recovered from his second knee injury(the gruesome one) and then some. Almost all of them have remarked at how much muscle he's put on since being drafted by the Niners. They say he is as fast or faster than before that injury. What no one can say is whether he has re-attained the speed he had prior to his first knee injury. The closest that anyone has come, that I've spoken with in Columbia, to addressing that question said that he doesn't expect that Lattimore or anyone else would've been able to re-discover the speed they might've enjoyed prior to their first knee injury requiring surgery similar to that which Lattimore had. That said, Lattimore was never an extreme speed demon. He finds the hole and can be a bruiser and tends to drag defenders with him as he runs. And yes, when he breaks away, he has seemed to have another gear. Also, as I said in my April 27th post a year ago, no one will do more than him or work harder than him to become a better player.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Computer generated using info from Kiper's Big Board and Walter Football's needs:

Here are 6 computer generated versions

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/178419-complete-scenarios-based-cbs-mayock-kiper/

woah
This dude will be a game changer for us.

Originally posted by Clarity:
Why does it matter? Watch his tape and he looks very similar to Brandon Cooks.

I'm actually more concerned Patton won't get playing time because now we have too many good receivers.

This. What's funny is that somehow 4.45 is slow these days. Beckham and Watkins ran a 4.43...he's fast enough.

The kid has produced in the toughest conference in college football. He's produced his best games on the biggest stage and this was all while going to school and splitting time with basketball.

He's concentrating everything on football now and will be able to learn behind some really good vets. He may not make a huge impact in the offense this season but he could get plays here and there to utilize his speed. I expect a huge jump in production for him in his 2nd season.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
He needs to teach Vernon how to dunk

That's funny, but think about it. A 5-9 guy who can dunk a basketball? Are you kidding? That's mutant territory. He's an amazing athlete.
  • buck
  • Veteran
There have been many complaints that the team did not get a wide receiver that could use speed to stretch the field.

I am trying to reconcile those complaints with the drafting of Bruce Ellington.

I think that Ellington has the speed to stretch the field.

At the combine, Ellington's official time in the 40 was 4.45.
His two unofficial times at the combine were 4.31 and 4.37.

He ran a 6.69 in the three-cone--one of the fastest times at the combine
He ran a 3.95 in the short shuttle--one of the faster times at the combine.
He ran a 11.12 in the long shuttle--again one of the faster times at the combine.

Granted the times in the various shuttles do not measure long speed, but how many slow receivers run fast shuttles.

In my estimation, these times strongly suggest that Ellington that he is fast enough to stretch the field.

Am I missing something?
Originally posted by buck:
There have been many complaints that the team did not get a wide receiver that could use speed to stretch the field.

I am trying to reconcile those complaints with the drafting of Bruce Ellington.

I think that Ellington has the speed to stretch the field.

At the combine, Ellington's official time in the 40 was 4.45.
His two unofficial times at the combine were 4.31 and 4.37.

He ran a 6.69 in the three-cone--one of the fastest times at the combine
He ran a 3.95 in the short shuttle--one of the faster times at the combine.
He ran a 11.12 in the long shuttle--again one of the faster times at the combine.

Granted the times in the various shuttles do not measure long speed, but how many slow receivers run fast shuttles.

In my estimation, these times strongly suggest that Ellington that he is fast enough to stretch the field.

Am I missing something?

People see 4.45 and and instantly close their minds off. I think some have the expectation that you're not truly fast unless you run a 4.35 or better and don't seem to truly accept that track speed doesn't always define football speed.

Torrey Smith-4.43 40 time

Randall Cobb-4.46 40 time

Pierre Garcon-4.48 40 time

Steve Smith-4.41 40 time

I look at Ellington and see an athletic super-freak in every way. 3.95 20 yard shuttle, 39" vertical, 11.12 60 yard shuttle, just with those alone I don't even need to see a 40 time to know he's fast and incredibly athletic.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 12, 2014 at 11:48 AM ]
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
What is good about this guy? He is so small. I see conflicting reports about his 40 time. Some say 4.45. Some say 4.37. That's a big difference if you ask me. Some claim hand held times lower than that even. So which one is it?

No one's asking you.

For 5'9" he is he solid ... goes 190+ I believe. And his vertical is way above avg. Look at the clips, he can win the jump ball ... that is where his basketball background will pay off. As far as his times, who knows. Supposedly ran back to back 4.3's at one event. Even if it is more 4.4-4.5, speed is only one measurable. The greatest receiver of all time was not a 4.3 guy.

Exactly. Drives me insane when most fans and some talent evaluators look at a guy who is under 5'10" and under 200 lbs and thinks he is too small or durability will be an issue. Ellington is 5'9" 197, well-built and has only missed 2 games in 3 seasons. He is bigger than Steve Smith (185), Wes Welker (185) and Lance Moore (190). And he is bigger than Wayne Chrebet (188). All four players did and does well in the league. Regardless of size, if you have the toughness, drive and work ethic, along with the skills and talent, you will be fine.
[ Edited by 49ersRednGold on May 12, 2014 at 1:04 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone