LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

with the 30th pick in the 2014 draft

Jerry Ricecake
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by British9er:
Stanford OG David Yankey is a real possibility as well given Harbaugh/Roman's emphasis on the power run game. He's a safe pick, which can't be discounted, he'd allow for a smooth transition once Iupati moved on after 2014 and would allow Kilgore/Looney to battle it out at center.

They could then focus the 5 picks in rounds 2-3 grabbing quality WRs/DBs where there's more depth and less risk.

I would be very surprised - and honestly a little annoyed - if the niners took an OG in the first round when there is a pressing need for a playmaker in the first round. I take your point about the 5 picks in the next couple of rounds but I would flip that and say take the playmaker in the first round and then you have five picks in the next two rounds to address the interior of the lines.

IMO, your chances of landing a quality playmaker at pick #30 aren't much better than if you waited until the late 2nd. Once you get past Watkins, Lee and possibly Mike Evans, I don't think there's a huge difference in terms of play-making ability at the WR position. I love Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry, but I don't think they're THAT much more valuable (and potentially that much more productive) than say Brandin Cooks, Paul Richardson, Donte Moncrief, Robert Herron, Josh Huff, or even guys like Jared Abbrederis and a speedster like De'Anthony Thomas in the 4th-5th round.

As for corners, I think guys like Kyle Fuller, Jaylen Watkins, Pierre Desir, Baushad Breeland, Terrance Mitchell, Walt Aikens and even Victor Hampton aren't huge drop-offs from what we might be able to get in the 1st round.

For me, it's about getting the best value you can at #30 and continuing to add talent to this team, not reaching for a position of need. And if we need any proof that you don't need first round talent at WR/CB to win a title, the game last night was proof positive.

I agree your point about getting the best value but I still want the Niners to move up for Gilbert, Denard, or Lee if its reasonable. I thnk a trade up or a trade down is more likely than standing pat and drafting at 30.
Another WR that won't produce
Noooooobody...they won't pick 30th.
Originally posted by adrenaline:
Darqueze Dennard or Justin Gilbert. 49ers trade up a few slots to nab 'em.

this
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Stanford OG David Yankey is a real possibility as well given Harbaugh/Roman's emphasis on the power run game. He's a safe pick, which can't be discounted, he'd allow for a smooth transition once Iupati moved on after 2014 and would allow Kilgore/Looney to battle it out at center.

They could then focus the 5 picks in rounds 2-3 grabbing quality WRs/DBs where there's more depth and less risk.

I would be very surprised - and honestly a little annoyed - if the niners took an OG in the first round when there is a pressing need for a playmaker in the first round. I take your point about the 5 picks in the next couple of rounds but I would flip that and say take the playmaker in the first round and then you have five picks in the next two rounds to address the interior of the lines.

IMO, your chances of landing a quality playmaker at pick #30 aren't much better than if you waited until the late 2nd. Once you get past Watkins, Lee and possibly Mike Evans, I don't think there's a huge difference in terms of play-making ability at the WR position. I love Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry, but I don't think they're THAT much more valuable (and potentially that much more productive) than say Brandin Cooks, Paul Richardson, Donte Moncrief, Robert Herron, Josh Huff, or even guys like Jared Abbrederis and a speedster like De'Anthony Thomas in the 4th-5th round.

As for corners, I think guys like Kyle Fuller, Jaylen Watkins, Pierre Desir, Baushad Breeland, Terrance Mitchell, Walt Aikens and even Victor Hampton aren't huge drop-offs from what we might be able to get in the 1st round.

For me, it's about getting the best value you can at #30 and continuing to add talent to this team, not reaching for a position of need. And if we need any proof that you don't need first round talent at WR/CB to win a title, the game last night was proof positive.

I agree your point about getting the best value but I still want the Niners to move up for Gilbert, Denard, or Lee if its reasonable. I thnk a trade up or a trade down is more likely than standing pat and drafting at 30.

Lee is the only WR I think might be in range and worth moving up a little to get. Gilbert is a definite possibility, but at the end of the day, I just don't believe they'll move up to get a CB. When you've seen success drafting CBs in the 3rd round and later (Cully, Brown and theoretically Cooper) as well as picking them off the street (Brock and Morris), you tend to think you can continue doing it. Especially in a draft that's deep in CB talent like this one.

That said, if somehow Gilbert falls to the mid-20's and it becomes more affordable, then I can see it. If not, I see a trade back like you said or BPA.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 3, 2014 at 2:18 PM ]
Gilbert has long arms. Worth a move up for. If there's one big gap between us and Seattle, it's at corner. Then Beckham in the 2nd.
Originally posted by sanjose49erfan:
Calvin Pryor-Louisville
+1
Fail ..
Originally posted by ziggy_gonna_rock:
Fail ..

Allen Robinson WR Penn State
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Jerry Ricecake

lol
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Originally posted by Wrathman:

Isn't Kyle Fuller Jeff Fuller's son?
Problem is 2 fold.
1. The 49ers haven't really indicated if they want to move on from Iuapti. Are we going to draft a G in the 1st round every 4 years and then watch them walk?

2. Are the 49ers pleased with the prospect of Kilgore or Looney at Center? They couldn't win the job last year and they weren't rookies who were being groomed. They might be gunning for a top Center in this draft. If they do and also draft a Guard they will have to cut Kilgore or Looney to make room.

As for Guard I would much rather resign Iupati. Even if you don't want to resign him we could draft a guy like Spencer Long for the pup list and let him battle it out with Looney for the starting job at Guard next year or we could draft a Guard next year. Spending your 1st round pick on a guy who barring injury will ride the pines all year as a rookie is not very productive, unless they feel a need to upgrade Boone.

I know. We drafted Tank Carradine last year for the future. But that was a 2nd round pick and we traded it down and gained another 3rd round pick for this year to boot.

If the 49ers don't see a guy they truly covet at #30 or within reach of trading up for I wouldn't be surprised to see them move back into the early 2nd round and pick up another 3rd rounder. It makes sense in a deep draft. Besides, last year we were focused on a safety. This year we have multiple targets. We could go CB or SS or WR or a Justin Smith type DE. maybe even a Center. With all those possibilities it greatly increases the odds there is someone there at #30 you covet. All of those positions could contribute immediately.
Trade down from 30 to say around 40 to 45 pick up a another 3rd and take a CB,Safety,WR DT, ILB,G,RB. We need to have 7 or 8 picks in the top 125. Forget the 5th & 6th and 7th rounds. Gimmie 2nds, 3rds and 4ths all day.
1. The 49ers haven't really indicated if they want to move on from Iuapti. Are we going to draft a G in the 1st round every 4 years and then watch them walk?
- It's not a question of "wanting" to move on from Iupati; it's a matter of being able to afford him after 2014. He's going to command a huge contract, but so is Kap, Aldon Smith and possibly even Michael Crabtree. Throw in trying to re-sign Boldin and possibly Culliver if he comes back strong and you run out of cap space pretty quickly.

2. Are the 49ers pleased with the prospect of Kilgore or Looney at Center? They couldn't win the job last year and they weren't rookies who were being groomed. They might be gunning for a top Center in this draft. If they do and also draft a Guard they will have to cut Kilgore or Looney to make room.
- If they don't sign a veteran center by draft time, you know it's either Kilgore/Looney or an early round center which I wouldn't mind, but it's asking A LOT for a rookie to come in and play well with this veteran line AND make the calls in this very complex offense. At the very least, Kilgore has been around for 3 years and knows this playbook and all the calls inside and out. Not being able to beat out a veteran center like Goodwin isn't anything to be embarrassed about, considering how solid JG played the last 3 years.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 3, 2014 at 5:14 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone