LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 430 users in the forums

with the 30th pick in the 2014 draft

I'd like to see either one of the 6-5 WR's or a guy like Cooks...we need both size and speed in the receiving corps/ST's. Same needs for secondary, so we'll see what Baalke does. Jean-Baptise would be a sizeable addition to secondary (pun intended). Also like Joyner's potential to play slot CB. Work your magic, Baalke.
Stanford OG David Yankey is a real possibility as well given Harbaugh/Roman's emphasis on the power run game. He's a safe pick, which can't be discounted, he'd allow for a smooth transition once Iupati moved on after 2014 and would allow Kilgore/Looney to battle it out at center.

They could then focus the 5 picks in rounds 2-3 grabbing quality WRs/DBs where there's more depth and less risk.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Stanford OG David Yankey is a real possibility as well given Harbaugh/Roman's emphasis on the power run game. He's a safe pick, which can't be discounted, he'd allow for a smooth transition once Iupati moved on after 2014 and would allow Kilgore/Looney to battle it out at center.

They could then focus the 5 picks in rounds 2-3 grabbing quality WRs/DBs where there's more depth and less risk.

I would be very surprised - and honestly a little annoyed - if the niners took an OG in the first round when there is a pressing need for a playmaker in the first round. I take your point about the 5 picks in the next couple of rounds but I would flip that and say take the playmaker in the first round and then you have five picks in the next two rounds to address the interior of the lines.
Originally posted by DrJawbreaker:
I'd be happy with either of these scenarios:

1. Trade down into the top of the second and pick up an extra 3rd/4th this year or a 2nd/3rd next year or however the draft points work out.

2. Draft the best cornerback or a receiver available. Based on the early mocks, I think these guys might be there at 30.

CORNERBACKS (Obviously, I like Gilbert or Dennard with the first pick, but I think they'll be gone by 30)

Jason Verrett (TCU) Sr 5'10" 182
Jason Verrett is as polished as any defensive back in this year's draft class. The TCU cornerback is physical, aggressive, tough, athletic and smooth in coverage. Those adjectives aren't often used together in describing a cornerback, but they're accurate when talking about Verrett. The Horned Frogs' best defender stands out on film as a playmaking stud in the secondary. He's able to take away top wide receivers of various sizes and speeds with excellent short-area quickness and top-flight instincts. He has the hands to get to the football, too. Teams may worry about his smaller stature (5'10'', 176 lbs) and that he may be too aggressive, but others will fall in love with his all-out effort and intensity.

Marcus Roberson (Florida) Jr 6'0" 178
A prototypical cornerback for the NFL as it exists today, Marcus Roberson is one of three exciting defensive backs that the University of Florida will send to the pros this year. So why does he stand out from the rest? His size (6'0", 200 lbs) puts him above the line when looking at the ideal build for a starting cornerback. Add in his speed and fluid lower-body movements in space, and you've got a player with starter athleticism. So how does his film look? He can be physical in coverage and shows the hands at the line of scrimmage to jam and press receivers. While he's not aggressive against the run or a surefire tackler, he's not afraid to get physical in coverage and will use his size and strength to win battles against receivers of any size.

Loucheiz Purifoy (Florida) Jr 6'1" 189
At 6'0", Purifoy is an elite cover corner who has a unique skill set. He's a long, rangy athlete who also has the great speed that you usually only see from the smaller cornerbacks. That combination of length and speed allows him to cover pretty much any receiver on the field without being a liability on defense. Purifoy will certainly make an NFL team very happy and could even provide a helping hand on special teams due to his playmaking ability. He should be drafted rather early in the NFL draft.

RECEIVERS.

Allen Robinson, Penn State: I mentioned on Twitter that Robinson reminds me some of star Chargers receiver Keenan Allen. Aside from possessing similar size (Robinson is listed at 6-3, 204; Allen at 6-2, 211), Robinson will arrive in the NFL with an advanced game. He runs sharp routes and has proven dangerous in the screen game. Plus, he uses every bit of that 6-2 frame to win balls consistently in the air.

Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt: Honestly, there's not a lot to separate two guys like Robinson and Matthews at this point. Matthews had 94 catches last season and 107 in 2013, without the help of an elite QB or a rapid-fire passing attack. At 6-3, he's tough to deal with — as is Robinson — because he does a remarkable job finding the football and winning position for the catch. Drops have been few and far between.

Brandin Cooks, Oregon State: His 2013 numbers are staggering — 128 receptions for 1,730 yards and 16 touchdowns. He's smaller than the two guys listed just above him here, at 5-10 and 186 pounds, but he's also more of a threat in the open field than either Robinson or Matthews. He can survive as an outside receiver. Put him in the slot with a couple other guys drawing attention, though, and he might be unstoppable.

It's obviously early but just on a superficial delve into the WRs available I came up with these three too. I'd be happy with any one of them but would a combination of Robinson/Matthews and Cooks be asking too much? I think a true slot receiver in the Welker, Harvin, Edelman, Austin mode would greatly help ...the FS would need to worry about Vern leaving the slot 1-1 on a LB / nickel leaving the outside WRs 1-1 too or if the FS bites on the slot then Vern takes the top off.

Alot has been said about the niners taking a speed WR but a true jitterbug slot receiver would do the same for the 49ers because of Vern's speed.
Originally posted by British9er:

I would be very surprised - and honestly a little annoyed - if the niners took an OG in the first round when there is a pressing need for a playmaker in the first round. I take your point about the 5 picks in the next couple of rounds but I would flip that and say take the playmaker in the first round and then you have five picks in the next two rounds to address the interior of the lines.

IMO, your chances of landing a quality playmaker at pick #30 aren't much better than if you waited until the late 2nd. Once you get past Watkins, Lee and possibly Mike Evans, I don't think there's a huge difference in terms of play-making ability at the WR position. I love Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry, but I don't think they're THAT much more valuable (and potentially that much more productive) than say Brandin Cooks, Paul Richardson, Donte Moncrief, Robert Herron, Josh Huff, or even guys like Jared Abbrederis and a speedster like De'Anthony Thomas in the 4th-5th round.

As for corners, I think guys like Kyle Fuller, Jaylen Watkins, Pierre Desir, Baushad Breeland, Terrance Mitchell, Walt Aikens and even Victor Hampton aren't huge drop-offs from what we might be able to get in the 1st round.

For me, it's about getting the best value you can at #30 and continuing to add talent to this team, not reaching for a position of need. And if we need any proof that you don't need first round talent at WR/CB to win a title, the game last night was proof positive.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 3, 2014 at 1:08 PM ]

This makes a lot of sense.
Best player available. I want a starter with the first pick whether it's CB, S, WR, or OL. I hope we keep our two 2nd rounders and use them to pick up quality players who can start or contribute their rookie years. No more players that end up seldom used like L. James. 1st/2nd rounders shouldn't be wasted.
[ Edited by sacleads on Feb 3, 2014 at 12:17 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I would be very surprised if we don't trade up.
Trade out of the first if we can't trade up and grab Ha'Ha or Gilbert.
  • dugo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by midrdan:

This makes a lot of sense.
I like this thought as well,or would even like a center picked at 30 such as Travis Swanson from Arkansas or Marcus Martin from USC, I'm not sure were they are positioned in the draft and if they would be around at 30,..but either would bring in a upgrade to the o-line plus Martin has time at guard and center. Keeping the o-line a dominate force should be a top priority for the the 9ers. Our run game and pass blocking was struggling a lot this year...and I think there is plenty of good quality depth at CB & WR to be had in the second round...

• dugo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sacleads:
Best player available. I want a starter with the first pick whether it's CB, S, WR, or OL. I hope we keep our two 2nd rounders and use them to pick up quality players who can start or contribute their rookie years. No more players that end up seldom used like L. James. 1st/2nd rounders shouldn't be wasted.

Agreed.. we need some young impact players that will contribute this year...we definitely have the draft picks ..
Trade up for Gilbert or Dennard . Or trade down for cooks near 40.
Kelvin Benjamin Wr

IMO, your chances of landing a quality playmaker at pick #30 aren't much better than if you waited until the late 2nd. Once you get past Watkins, Lee and possibly Mike Evans, I don't think there's a huge difference in terms of play-making ability at the WR position. I love Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry, but I don't think they're THAT much more valuable (and potentially that much more productive) than say Brandin Cooks, Paul Richardson, Donte Moncrief, Robert Herron, Josh Huff, or even guys like Jared Abbrederis and a speedster like De'Anthony Thomas in the 4th-5th round.

As for corners, I think guys like Kyle Fuller, Jaylen Watkins, Pierre Desir, Baushad Breeland, Terrance Mitchell, Walt Aikens and even Victor Hampton aren't huge drop-offs from what we might be able to get in the 1st round.

For me, it's about getting the best value you can at #30 and continuing to add talent to this team, not reaching for a position of need. And if we need any proof that you don't need first round talent at WR/CB to win a title, the game last night was proof positive.

Isn't Kyle Fuller Jeff Fuller's son?
Originally posted by Wrathman:

Isn't Kyle Fuller Jeff Fuller's son?

I don't think so. He's from the VaTech Fuller family (former Hokies Vincent and Corey and current player Kendall).
Share 49ersWebzone