There are 113 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Clearly the Team Needs to Draft a Full Back

We have one.

Everyone else is a pretender. Let's stop faking it and provide the team with a back-up who can actually play if Miller is hurt or needs to be spelled. Remember this?

This is a tough loss for the 49ers. Bruce Miller had always been a strong blocker, but he became an integral part of the 49ers passing game this season. He had replaced much of the work Delanie Walker did, and still ranks third on the team in receptions and yards. He was a key cog in terms of dump-offs for Colin Kaepernick, and the 49ers will need to figure out ways to best replace his role in the offense.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/12/16/5217272/bruce-miller-injury-owen-marecic-anthony-dixon-49ers
[ Edited by NinerGM on Feb 3, 2014 at 8:23 AM ]
For a pure fullback, JC Copeland of LSU or Jay Prosch of Auburn. For the sort of H-back type guy that Roman loves, Trey Millard of Oklahoma. Put him at FB, at TE, at WR.....etc.
Millard torn his ACL at the end of october. We all know where he will end up.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
For a pure fullback, JC Copeland of LSU or Jay Prosch of Auburn. For the sort of H-back type guy that Roman loves, Trey Millard of Oklahoma. Put him at FB, at TE, at WR.....etc.

I am on the Trey Millard wagon that you started. The H-back position in the 9ers system is complex and with Millard kind of red shirting with an injury, he will have time to learn the system and not take up a roster spot.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
I am on the Trey Millard wagon that you started. The H-back position in the 9ers system is complex and with Millard kind of red shirting with an injury, he will have time to learn the system and not take up a roster spot.

The thing I really like about Millard is that he can basically take up 2 or 3 roster spots in one. You have a backup fullback, a #3 TE, a special teams ace...etc. He would be such a ridiculous steal in the 6th or 7th round that it is mind-blowing. I had written him off before the injury because I saw him as an early 3rd rounder but now, based on their overall team philosophy, I can't think anyone in the draft that fits the mold better than Millard does.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 3, 2014 at 8:23 AM ]
Phoenix, where do you have the info from that he can play at TE?
Originally posted by communist:
Phoenix, where do you have the info from that he can play at TE?

Because Stoops lined him up at TE at times, as well as FB, he even lined up out wide. His junior year he rushed for 200 yards and received for 300+. He's a much more natural runner and receiver than Bruce Miller. He has the athleticism to be moved around all over the place and is already a beastly blocker.
Brutal. a guy who received for 300+ is called FB

DO WANT HIM.
The real question is can they afford to keep two FB's...most teams don't. If you do that, you sacrifice another position...methinks they'll develop Carrier to become a hybrid-type like Walker was...that kills two birds with one stone.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
The real question is can they afford to keep two FB's...most teams don't. If you do that, you sacrifice another position...methinks they'll develop Carrier to become a hybrid-type like Walker was...that kills two birds with one stone.

No they need to get rid of Brent Celek ....
JC Copeland baby!

Imagine Copeland, Tukuafu, and Miller all bearing down on you with Lattimore coming full blast with the rock.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,858
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
The real question is can they afford to keep two FB's...most teams don't. If you do that, you sacrifice another position...methinks they'll develop Carrier to become a hybrid-type like Walker was...that kills two birds with one stone.

They would need to be a special teams ace like Robinson was.
A very Baalke type H-Back pick would be a kid named Reggie Jordan out of Missouri Western. He's 6'2" and 245 lbs. 4.61 40-yard dash. Just got invited to the Combine. Sites have him listed as both a FB and a TE. He's CBS's #8 FB and I've seen him in top 10 at the TE position on other sites.He could be a Delanie Walker type. He's raw, only 52 career catches, but 17 of those were TDs. But he's athletic and can block. Type of kid to take a flier on in the late rounds and develop.


will have to do some research on the players named but I do know I want a replica of Tom Rathman as our FB. I want someone to just lower their shoulders and BLAST the sh!t out of them LB's from northwest. Furthermore, a FB that can catch swing passes and pick up chunk yards while punishing the nemesis on the point of impact.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
will have to do some research on the players named but I do know I want a replica of Tom Rathman as our FB. I want someone to just lower their shoulders and BLAST the sh!t out of them LB's from northwest. Furthermore, a FB that can catch swing passes and pick up chunk yards while punishing the nemesis on the point of impact.

JC "THE BEAST" COPELAND BABY!